Shoe Goo and Dry Wall HELL!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dandolorion

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 3s
Just got myself a new Senton and before i do much bashing I decided to reinforce the body up. How I wish i never even bothered now.

So i picked up some Shoe Goo 2 and dry wall tape. Watched a load of vids and thought it would not be too much of an issue. I have built boats with fibreglass before so pretty straight forward.

Then i get going. I wash the body down with some rubbing alcohol and let it dry off for the afternoon.

I then make a start and straight away im having issues. No matter what i do the tape is lifting. I apply some goo and it keeps lifting. So i carry on and im pressing one bit down, going back to the next, pressing that down, then back to the next. Just awful!

After 2hrs i gave up. I barely had part of the windscreen and bonnet done!

Had some food and decided to have another crack. Seemed the goo took better after being left a while and got easier. But still getting lifting. I battled on till 1am and got half the body done and called it a night…until…

…how the holy hell do you get shoo goo off your finger!! (Should of worn gloves). 90 mins later, white spirit, meths, lighter fluid and swafteger and still have sticky finger.

At this rate i would rather buy a new body when its trashed.

What am i doing wrong?

I use concrete board tape. Sticks well and is much stronger than drywall tape. I’ve done 9 or 10 bodies and it’s pretty easy now. Got it down to one tube and minimal tape so it doesn’t weigh much. I love how sturdy and long lasting it makes the body. One less thing to buy or worry about.

Sorry for the issue...

My drywall tape does stick. Last I put E6000 across it, and tape does stay down.
Me too. Gorilla tape is so much easier. Although I do want to try that Dragon Skin stuff sometime. https://rcbodyarmor.com/shop/ols/products/dragon-skin-body-backer

I bought some and have it waiting to try...price was not bad so grabbed some. It does look promising.

I use concrete board tape. Sticks well and is much stronger than drywall tape. I’ve done 9 or 10 bodies and it’s pretty easy now. Got it down to one tube and minimal tape so it doesn’t weigh much. I love how sturdy and long lasting it makes the body. One less thing to buy or worry about.

Always looking for new options. Have a link to what that product looks like? Thx

Last edited:
A guy on Bookface recommended using the concrete board tape and the clear Gorilla construction adhesive instead of Shoe Goo. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-9-oz-Heavy-Duty-Construction-Adhesive-8010003/206063265

If I were to go through the hassle, I think I'd just fiberglass it. Pretty sure I've seen small "kits" at even Walmart.
No that would make it worse, you want the body to remain somewhat flexible. If you did the fiberglass it would crack real quick.

A guy on Bookface recommended using the concrete board tape and the clear Gorilla construction adhesive instead of Shoe Goo. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-9-oz-Heavy-Duty-Construction-Adhesive-8010003/206063265
E6000 seems to work good also. I did a small trial with it (I have some for jewelry making) and it worked well so I ordered a large tube of it. Way cheaper then shoo goo this way. I have two bodies to do soon so will try it out on those.

1DAFBAEB-2664-4E77-B332-5FC0987BF4DF.png

02572D7B-4840-4B2E-9A04-040D9939EECF.png

I personally like T-Rex tape or Gorilla tape.
The T-Rex stuff has a lot of reinforcement fiber in it, you can’t tear it, you have to use a knife or scissors. 👍
I also use a heat gun and it warms up the glue on the tape and sticks really good.

I use cement board tape and Lexel instead of shoo goo. A hot glue gun to tack the tape in place and then go to town with the Lexel in a caulk gun. Lexel is almost identical to shoo goo, cheaper and you can use a caulk gun to put it on.

Aside from gluing tires, reinforcing a body is my least favorite part of the hobby, but some of the bigger bodies (Kraton 8s, Outcast 8s, Xmaxx etc) can get expensive in a hurry, so it’s worth it to try and make them last.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back