Shoe Goo and Dry Wall HELL!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So…

…woke up this morning. Looked at the body and felt sad. I was not happy with it and nor did i want to continue. I removed all the goo that had transferred itself around the house before looking at the body.

So it was done 12hrs ago and whilst not dry it was pliable. So i started to remove the tape. I noticed i could also rub off with my thumb a fair bit of the goo. So thats what i decided to do for the rest of the day 😞.

On the windshield area it was pretty stubborn and was smearing more than coming off. So decided to try a bit of meths on a cloth. Came off a treat!

So decided to try meths for the rest. Game changer.

1. Soaked rag in meths
2. Placed over area for about 10-20 seconds
3. Rubbed off the now jelly like goo
4. Stuck it in the shower to get the bits off

Might help for those who have got goo on the outside of the body.

Before:

2F5E2191-EA77-4550-B276-EF443A0F113F.jpeg

After:
E35FAA8E-2589-4ACC-8C1D-63AF04C87911.jpeg

For reference the whole front end and cab was drywall taped and shoe goo’d. I wont be doing this again in the near future.

Im off for a de-stressing bash and annoy some squirrel’s!

Cleaned up really nice. Same shell pictured. Gorilla tape and call it a day. At $38.00 for a new shell, I'm not going to overthink it.

View attachment 268275

Thats my thoughts too. It breaks, ill get a new shell. I love painting them anyway and kind of look forward to it.

That looks great! Where did you get it? I know some guys use fuel line tubing.

Like others mentioned use self adhesive drywall tape. Also wet your finger before touching the glue if you must touch it. I try not too.

I use either shoo goo or E6000 whichever is cheapest at the time as its pretty much the same stuff.

Don't use CA glue to hold down the drywall tape as it distroys the paint. I found out the hard way.

I personally like T-Rex tape or Gorilla tape.
The T-Rex stuff has a lot of reinforcement fiber in it, you can’t tear it, you have to use a knife or scissors. 👍
I also use a heat gun and it warms up the glue on the tape and sticks really good.
I was just about to say the same about the heat gun. It really helps!

I use FlexSeal spray on my bodies. I have no patience for drywall tape and tubed adhesives

Just put tape inside over the holes and any areas where hard parts mount inside the body(like the Outcast 6S). Once dry use an exacto knife to cut the tape tape out.

I use this on polycarbonate bodies now too, is woven and has extremely strong adhesion with proper prep.

I used drywall tape and a large can of flex seal. I just spayed multiple coats and my Kraton body came out great. No heavier than shoe goo and much lighter than gorilla tape.

I used drywall tape and a large can of flex seal. I just spayed multiple coats and my Kraton body came out great. No heavier than shoe goo and much lighter than gorilla tape.
Pic's?

Just got myself a new Senton and before i do much bashing I decided to reinforce the body up. How I wish i never even bothered now.

So i picked up some Shoe Goo 2 and dry wall tape. Watched a load of vids and thought it would not be too much of an issue. I have built boats with fibreglass before so pretty straight forward.

Then i get going. I wash the body down with some rubbing alcohol and let it dry off for the afternoon.

I then make a start and straight away im having issues. No matter what i do the tape is lifting. I apply some goo and it keeps lifting. So i carry on and im pressing one bit down, going back to the next, pressing that down, then back to the next. Just awful!

After 2hrs i gave up. I barely had part of the windscreen and bonnet done!

Had some food and decided to have another crack. Seemed the goo took better after being left a while and got easier. But still getting lifting. I battled on till 1am and got half the body done and called it a night…until…

…how the holy hell do you get shoo goo off your finger!! (Should of worn gloves). 90 mins later, white spirit, meths, lighter fluid and swafteger and still have sticky finger.

At this rate i would rather buy a new body when its trashed.

What am i doing wrong?
There’s definitely a learning curve to shoo goo and it’s an expensive curve too. I start with a new body that I don’t need yet. It takes a few days which will drive you crazy if it’s stopping you from running your truck. It definitely works good once it’s done. I haven’t tried the hot glue to tack it down but I think that would help tremendously.
I bought proline basher armor bodies for my Kratons and love them. I wish they made them for all Arrmas. Well worth the money if you can find them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back