Shoe Goo and Dry Wall HELL!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got myself a new Senton and before i do much bashing I decided to reinforce the body up. How I wish i never even bothered now.

So i picked up some Shoe Goo 2 and dry wall tape. Watched a load of vids and thought it would not be too much of an issue. I have built boats with fibreglass before so pretty straight forward.

Then i get going. I wash the body down with some rubbing alcohol and let it dry off for the afternoon.

I then make a start and straight away im having issues. No matter what i do the tape is lifting. I apply some goo and it keeps lifting. So i carry on and im pressing one bit down, going back to the next, pressing that down, then back to the next. Just awful!

After 2hrs i gave up. I barely had part of the windscreen and bonnet done!

Had some food and decided to have another crack. Seemed the goo took better after being left a while and got easier. But still getting lifting. I battled on till 1am and got half the body done and called it a night…until…

…how the holy hell do you get shoo goo off your finger!! (Should of worn gloves). 90 mins later, white spirit, meths, lighter fluid and swafteger and still have sticky finger.

At this rate i would rather buy a new body when its trashed.

What am i doing wrong?
It makes it very easy if you use a hot glue gun to stick the tape to the body. Just little tiny blobs here and there is enough and once finished you start putting shoe goo on.

Just got myself a new Senton and before i do much bashing I decided to reinforce the body up. How I wish i never even bothered now.

So i picked up some Shoe Goo 2 and dry wall tape. Watched a load of vids and thought it would not be too much of an issue. I have built boats with fibreglass before so pretty straight forward.

Then i get going. I wash the body down with some rubbing alcohol and let it dry off for the afternoon.

I then make a start and straight away im having issues. No matter what i do the tape is lifting. I apply some goo and it keeps lifting. So i carry on and im pressing one bit down, going back to the next, pressing that down, then back to the next. Just awful!

After 2hrs i gave up. I barely had part of the windscreen and bonnet done!

Had some food and decided to have another crack. Seemed the goo took better after being left a while and got easier. But still getting lifting. I battled on till 1am and got half the body done and called it a night…until
I always west nitrile gloves and just smear it with one hand. No mess. Also, use the green sticky drywall tape, it does a fine job of staying stuck to flat areas. For the more complicated curves and corners, I’ll use strategic hot glue dabs, wait a couple seconds to coll and press it flat. Sort of like little glue rivets.

Does this stuff stick to the shell as good as shoo goo? It has to be ten times easier. I tried flex seal black but without the drywall tape. Like that it helped but the hood still broke pretty quick around the post holes.
Flex seal is costly but if you get results as good as shoo goo I definitely will try it next time I need a body. How’s it holding up?

Myself and my RC bud have settled on fibatape xtreme (orange tape / extra sticky) and soudal fix all adhesive / sealannt. Shoe goo is very expensive in UK. Tape sticks well to body without having to use hot melt and soudal is light, nice and bendy and fills cracks. Easy to do and between us we have done half a dozen or so bodies in the last couple of months. Just stick on tape then use a plastic spatula or old credit card to force glue into gaps.

Does this stuff stick to the shell as good as shoo goo? It has to be ten times easier. I tried flex seal black but without the drywall tape. Like that it helped but the hood still broke pretty quick around the post holes.
Flex seal is costly but if you get results as good as shoo goo I definitely will try it next time I need a body. How’s it holding up?
It is holding up well after several sessions jumping...and crashing. I cleaned everything before starting and used some hot glue on the drywall tape in some of the corners. The Flex Seal worked good, I just had to apply in thin coats, about 3-4 coats did it. The pictures are after 4-5 times out and no signs of any cracking on the body yet.

Myself and my RC bud have settled on fibatape xtreme (orange tape / extra sticky) and soudal fix all adhesive / sealannt. Shoe goo is very expensive in UK. Tape sticks well to body without having to use hot melt and soudal is light, nice and bendy and fills cracks. Easy to do and between us we have done half a dozen or so bodies in the last couple of months. Just stick on tape then use a plastic spatula or old credit card to force glue into gaps.
Do you have pictures of this stuff? I’ve never heard of soudal fix or fibatape. Sounds tough so I would like to see what you use. It might be called something different in the US?

Do you have pictures of this stuff? I’ve never heard of soudal fix or fibatape. Sounds tough so I would like to see what you use. It might be called something different in the US?
Fiba tape is common. It's used for concrete backer board in tile applications. Typically..
But...never heard of "souldal"

Soudal is an European industrial brand, probably not available in the US.
Over here it's mostly sold at industrial supply stores, our DIY chains (like Homedepot, but named different) may have some Soudal silicone caulking or a small amount of their glues, but industrial supply stores usually have way more of their range.
Soudal make an astoinishing range of glues and caulking, but they are usually used by professionals, so the DIY store only has their Silicone tubes, but they do 2 part Epoxy,all kinds of sealing tapes,glues etc.etc but those are not usually available at DIY stores.

A bit like Loctite, where a DIY chain has just the green or blue Loctite ,the industrial supply stores have about 50 different types of Loctite.

It took me about 3 days to do 1 layer. I just did small areas at a time and waited for them to dry. It is a real pain trying to prevent the tape from lifting and I tried the hot glue but it did not produce good results for me. It doesn't stick very well.

DSCN0562.JPG

DSCN0590.JPG

DSCN0594.JPG

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back