Short Course Truck

What should I buy..!!

• Traxxas Slash 4x4 Ultimate

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Tekno SCT410.3

Votes: 12 92.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BashingBrian

#ArrmaAddict #RCwhore
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Mojave EXB
  3. Outcast 8s
  4. Outcast EXB
  5. Talion EXB
  6. Typhon 6s
So, I had a V1 3s Senton and quite liked it because it was pretty tough, fast and fun ( was my first Arrma ). I fancy another SC truck but this time better and faster, out of these two below which would you think is the better option ??? It would be just for bashing around no racing etc
My choices... ( or should I say options available to me in the UK, inc prices )

Traxxas Slash 4x4 Ultimate Brushless Pro TSM - £599
or
Tekno RC SCT410.3 4x4 Compition SCT Kit - £389

I already have spare electronics that I could put in the Tekno, I believe the Tekno doesn't come with wheels/tyres or a body so that would be an extra cost, I know the Traxxas is a RTR ( sorry to mention/choose Traxxas )

Let me know what you think and why (y)

Surely the tekno is a better rig out the box?
I had a slash, fell down a rabbit hole of needless upgrades. Iirc it used to decimate spur gears even the metal ones and the venelion motor was volcano hot everytime I ran it on 3s. 🤷‍♂️

Tekno for me Brian, mostly 'cause ah've never had one! This body please!
_20220508_104452.JPG

Out the two I’d go tekno, my Buddy has a slash with ultimate upgrades it’s nice but not worth the price tag imo.

What do you think about the losi baja Rey 1/10?

I quite enjoy running my sons Senton. Not sure if all 1/10 sct handle that way but I like it.

Tekno is a kit , more race bread / inspired , way more tunable . Believe 3s is what its diffs are rated for , Slash as well . Tekno is more for the race tracks , not really for bashing the heck out of it , your settings will go out quickly ( this is why I don't bash or use my Losi SCTE 3.0 outside ) it is set up for carpet / turf racing .
The Losi Baja Rey 1/10 has a solid rear axle , so will handle / drive way different than the IRS trucks . The Losi TT Pro SCT however is IRS , 3s capable , pretty durable / good handling /driving truck RTR for the same price or less than the Tekno kit .
Or,........ or .......... get a Typhon TLR or a RTR and make it into a Senton 6s now that they have all the Senton 6s parts again !!!! Body / bumpers / cage / nerf bars / body mounts / shock towers .
FWIW , even though I like Arrma , I do not like / nor will ever buy ( again ) a Arrma 3s !!!!!
And again , you all know my fav is the Senton 6s , and am still shocked that they and discontinued it as I look at all the other crap they have , they couldn't leave it alone as it is based off their Typhon 6s !!!! Hence , raises the question , with them having all the parts for it again , is there a re-release coming ????

Last edited:
Tekno is better in every way including durability and will not wear out as fast. It also uses more standard wheel offsets.

So, I had a V1 3s Senton and quite liked it because it was pretty tough, fast and fun ( was my first Arrma ). I fancy another SC truck but this time better and faster, out of these two below which would you think is the better option ??? It would be just for bashing around no racing etc
My choices... ( or should I say options available to me in the UK, inc prices )

Traxxas Slash 4x4 Ultimate Brushless Pro TSM - £599
or
Tekno RC SCT410.3 4x4 Compition SCT Kit - £389

I already have spare electronics that I could put in the Tekno, I believe the Tekno doesn't come with wheels/tyres or a body so that would be an extra cost, I know the Traxxas is a RTR ( sorry to mention/choose Traxxas )

Let me know what you think and why (y)

My buddy bought the sct410.3 and put a arrma 3s system in it he had laying around. Kept the costs down. Drives very nicely, handles well.

One thing I know he's had troubles with is the D block. The plastic D blocks (TKR5730 i think) aren't super durable when bashing. He broke one doing pretty tame jumps on dirt. There is a 7075 upgrade supposedly that he looked into, but it was $30 for each (same front and rear I think). If you're going to buy the tekno sct410.3 may want to consider that as an expected eventual upgrades.

Tekno is better in every way including durability and will not wear out as fast. It also uses more standard wheel offsets.
Yes, zero offset.
Tekno is at a different niche in this hobby. Not a basher, or designed as such.

So, some weeks later and I've ordered the SCT410 (It's on route as I type this) 😎
I was going to use the ESC/Motor combo from my Sketer but someone over on the Tekno forums advised me that the SCT runs the LCG motor mount, so I had to decide 🤔 get the normal height mount or get another motor..!!

Ordered new ESC and motor 🤣🤣
Watch this space..

Couldn't decide on which body I preferred, so bought both 🤣

PRO345817_A2_S3U93C87.jpg
PRO355900_A2_IU6N6WFN.jpg

What one gets your vote ??

They won't be painted like that though 🤣🤣

Last edited:
So, some weeks later and I've ordered the SCT410 (It's on route as I type this) 😎
I was going to use the ESC/Motor combo from my Sketer but someone over on the Tekno forums advised me that the SCT runs the LCG motor mount, so I had to decide 🤔 get the normal height mount or get another motor..!!

Watch this space..

View attachment 220407View attachment 220408

Always loved the Proline fusion bodies. (y)

Watch this space..

View attachment 220407View attachment 220408

Fusion

Brian I have both those bodies for my SC6.1 , the Flotek is more durable . I got the Axis right when it came out , and first use it was already cracking easily . However , as the Flotek is / was my usual body I'd get , I learned the weak points on it and reinforced it in the weak areas . Keep in mind these are race bodies , and I only use them indoor on carpet / turf tracks .
Def show us your build !!!!! Can't wait to see !!! I love SCT's !!!!
Comparable to your SCT410 , I have the Losi SCTE 3.0 , I run the Tekin RX8 Gen 3 with a HW 4300kv bigger can motor . We can only run on 2s , but this thing rips for being on 2s !!! The 4wd class at my LHS raceway has died , so I only use it to run laps with friends on a get together day up there now , sad , $1k plus truck sitting here !!!!
Look at the pic of the inside of the bodies , you can see on the Flotek where I used shoegoo / mesh drywall tape to make it stronger , body mounts / A pillars / and in front of rear wheel wells on the corner going up the cab cracks easy .
IMG_5233.JPG

IMG_5063.JPG

IMG_5239.JPG

Last edited:
Def show us your build !!!!! Can't wait to see !!! I love SCT's !!!!

Look at the pic of the inside of the bodies , you can see on the Flotek where I used shoegoo / mesh drywall tape to make it stronger , body mounts / A pillars / and in front of rear wheel wells on the corner going up the cab cracks easy .
Cheers for the tips on the bodies 👍🏼 I sure will post mine up when it's done..!!
No racing for me, it will just be another basher. I have a MT410 and love it, also a Mojave EXB so I though how about a mini Mojave made by Tekno 🤣🤣 so this is how I came to buy the SCT410..
I'm hoping it will be super tough and super fast 😎

My buddy bought the sct410.3 and put a arrma 3s system in it he had laying around. Kept the costs down. Drives very nicely, handles well.

One thing I know he's had troubles with is the D block. The plastic D blocks (TKR5730 i think) aren't super durable when bashing. He broke one doing pretty tame jumps on dirt. There is a 7075 upgrade supposedly that he looked into, but it was $30 for each (same front and rear I think). If you're going to buy the tekno sct410.3 may want to consider that as an expected eventual upgrades.
Tekno SCT and any brand SCT platform is always raced with 2s lipos. And not as a basher rig. Breaking a rig running 2s at the track means driver error most of the time.
Any rig will be worthy of some upgrades. Track rigs also. All depends how well you drive. Racers who are very accustomed to track driving have the skills,
and break their rigs way less than the average basher guy. Breaking one part, one or two times, doesn't make an upgrade part always that necessary. Sometimes that one Stocker plastic part is better than the Alloy upgrade. At some point making the rig an Alloy "Tank" works against you.

Tekno SCT and any brand SCT platform is always raced with 2s lipos. And not as a basher rig. Breaking a rig running 2s at the track means driver error most of the time.
Any rig will be worthy of some upgrades. Track rigs also. All depends how well you drive. Racers who are very accustomed to track driving have the skills,
and break their rigs way less than the average basher guy. Breaking one part, one or two times, doesn't make an upgrade part always that necessary. Sometimes that one Stocker plastic part is better than the Alloy upgrade. At some point making the rig an Alloy "Tank" works against you.
Racing def hones you in on being focused / smooth / consistent / etc . Racing SCT's on indoor high traction carpet really needs a truck to be "dialed" in , lots of trial with mine / set-ups / always checking and tuning it on the chassis stand . That is the only class I race to stay focused on SCT driving . When I try my friends Buggies or Stadium trucks , actually they seem easy to drive vs. SCT's . I've seen a a lot of guys give up easy on SCT class because they say it is to hard to drive and hard to tune them .
I can't wait to see Brians Tekno !!!

+1
SCT's are harder to drive. Because of the Closed wheel body. Resulting in Higher CoG and Parachuting. Also, that wider body brings the weight "out" more to all the corners. Very challenging to drive. Chassis setup is less forgiving. Must be dialed in well competing on a Track, no matter how well you can drive.
:cool:
FWIW, 1/10 SCT's are basically 1/8 Buggy chassis dimensions. You are basically a driving A 1/8 Buggy with a Larger heavier Lid for the most part on a 1/10 scale track. And Tires are a different size. Changes the whole dynamic.
SCT's at the pro level has fallen. Not popular any longer. They are seen at some tracks at the club level. There is a unique following with SCT rigs.
You either like them or don't.

Last edited:
Back