Short Course Truck

What should I buy..!!

• Traxxas Slash 4x4 Ultimate

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Tekno SCT410.3

Votes: 12 92.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers for the tips on the bodies 👍🏼 I sure will post mine up when it's done..!!
No racing for me, it will just be another basher. I have a MT410 and love it, also a Mojave EXB so I though how about a mini Mojave made by Tekno 🤣🤣 so this is how I came to buy the SCT410..
I'm hoping it will be super tough and super fast 😎
Are there any hobby shops near you with tracks ??? Carpet / turf / clay / dirt ???

Brian I have both those bodies for my SC6.1 , the Flotek is more durable . I got the Axis right when it came out , and first use it was already cracking easily . However , as the Flotek is / was my usual body I'd get , I learned the weak points on it and reinforced it in the weak areas . Keep in mind these are race bodies , and I only use them indoor on carpet / turf tracks .
Def show us your build !!!!! Can't wait to see !!! I love SCT's !!!!
Comparable to your SCT410 , I have the Losi SCTE 3.0 , I run the Tekin RX8 Gen 3 with a HW 4300kv bigger can motor . We can only run on 2s , but this thing rips for being on 2s !!! The 4wd class at my LHS raceway has died , so I only use it to run laps with friends on a get together day up there now , sad , $1k plus truck sitting here !!!!
Look at the pic of the inside of the bodies , you can see on the Flotek where I used shoegoo / mesh drywall tape to make it stronger , body mounts / A pillars / and in front of rear wheel wells on the corner going up the cab cracks easy .
View attachment 220516

View attachment 220523

View attachment 220531
What combination of paint colors did you use to get that gorgeous orangey look? I love them!

What combination of paint colors did you use to get that gorgeous orangey look? I love them!
Thanks !! It's Candy Orange . To get the real " candy " look you cover the candy with silver and leave it , the darker one is backed up with black which makes it look more like a " copper" I have not tried backing up with white yet . It's Duratrax paint

IMG_5241.JPG

Thanks !! It's Candy Orange . To get the real " candy " look you cover the candy with silver and leave it , the darker one is backed up with black which makes it look more like a " copper" I have not tried backing up with white yet . It's Duratrax paint

View attachment 220631
Very nice, thank you! Have you had just as good luck with duratex paint as Tamyia?

No , Tamiya always gave me problems .
Interesting, I’ve had excellent results with Tamyia problems with duratex, Which is why I asked. Are you in a high humidity environment or a low humidity environment? One thing I’ve noticed is I have troubles with duratex when the humidity is higher. But sometimes I have no choice but to paint with higher humidity or I just can’t paint.

Interesting, I’ve had excellent results with Tamyia problems with duratex, Which is why I asked. Are you in a high humidity environment or a low humidity environment? One thing I’ve noticed is I have troubles with duratex when the humidity is higher. But sometimes I have no choice but to paint with higher humidity or I just can’t paint.
I paint in different temp / environments , summer + winter . The key is to clean the body good with dish soap , do your first color light coats , let dry overnight til you apply the next color ( even if same brand paint ) so it doesn't "bleed" thru the first color . My problems were when I try to get it all done in one day . The Tamiya would always clog up / stop spraying / spatter / etc on me . The Duratrax always covered way better

I paint in different temp / environments , summer + winter . The key is to clean the body good with dish soap , do your first color light coats , let dry overnight til you apply the next color ( even if same brand paint ) so it doesn't "bleed" thru the first color . My problems were when I try to get it all done in one day . The Tamiya would always clog up / stop spraying / spatter / etc on me . The Duratrax always covered way better
Same process I follow and the same impatience issue I fight 😂 I’ll give Duralex a better chance because I know you get a little bit more in each can.

Last edited:
No , Tamiya always gave me problems .
Wow, Tamiya is renowned all over the world. How many bodies have you painted?
A bad paint job is usually indicative of bad prep work. Although expensive, coming from Japan (always high priced) I feel it's the best. Have tried so many others.
Tamiya PS Rattle cans also have the most color choices. Easiest to source. I never seen a LHS that didn't sell them.
Not to say there aren't other decent paints out there.:unsure:

Tamiya has been making Hobby Polycarbonate paint probably the longest of any brand.
Heck I was using it when there was no other PC paint brand available back in the late '80's
I tried Duratrax. It comes with more paint per $$. What peaked my interest initially.
Tamiya has been the best for me so far.
I don't try others anymore. :cool:
Many factors can ruin an otherwise good paint job. Even a simple thing like High humidity will give issues. Not the paints fault. I think the more and more you paint, you understand that Tamiya is best.
I don't consider myself any great painter artistically. Not my primary focus with RC. Painting is considered a hobby by itself. Just ask @Ajag.
But I am comfortable with the durable results I get with Tamiya.
I painted at the very minimum, 30 bodies over the many years. Not many by some standards. I also worked in AutoBody and have an understanding of paints in general. Its all about the prep work and the environmental conditions where you paint. No matter how good you are. Some things we cannot control at times.

Last edited:
The Duratrax for me has been more consistent to the end of the can , the Tamiya ,for me was hit or miss, either started spitting / dripping / or stop spraying all together before the can was empty. We all have different experiences . However , neither failed once they were on the bodies , my prep work was fine.
NTM , they are the one with my favorite color, candy orange.

Heat the can up in hot water and it stops the spits. Think SrC taught me that. I’ve only used duratex for a backer. Tamyia is my go to paint.

Yeah, or just keep the can in your house (assuming your house temp is over 60!) before you spray. Or in the winter I just leave it sitting atop my heat vents so they warm up when the furnace kicks on.

Back