Outcast Should I avoid going aluminum for front lower arms?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhialto

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Outcast met a tree, one front lower arm broke.

I've been told to keep it plastic because it's good to have such a weak point and it makes sense to me even if I'm not a pro.

Anything else to say? Anyone went alu and no regrets, yet?

By RPM arms and spray them with WD-40 and let them sit for a day. It will make them flex more instead of breaking. Just wipe off the extra that didn't soak in. Personally, I would never put aluminum A arms on a basher truck.

Finally bought the original, I wanted to be set for the long weekend... first time I changed those and all went well! Cool!

Keep replies coming... anyone went alu and what broke next?

I own 2 Traxxas Stampedes. One has a set of aluminum arms and the other has rpm ones.

Generally some flex points make sense . So far nothing weird happening with the Stampede with the Golden Horizons solid aluminum arms. However... That is with 3S use. Not sure what might happen when I upgrade my motor and esc and start to try 4S and up usage.

Edit: For horrible typos from posting on my phone. LOL!

Last edited:
FWIW...

Unlike my Traxxas Stampedes where the A Arms and the driveshafts pretty much need to be replaced right away I have to say that Arrma makes a great RC out of the box. Sure, the servo mount pretty much needs replacement.

The stock drive axles are working great for me and they look like they are going to go the distance.

I feel the same way about the A Arms. My Outcast took a nasty bump before I replaced the front bumper with a TBone Racing one. The left lower front A Arms took one heck of a hit and I have faith it is still ready for lots more bashing.

Replacing my A Arms is not even on my radar. I would look at shock towers, hinge pin hangers etc before I would even think of the A Arms.

The crash that dinged that A Arm broke my shock shaft right at the eyelet:

And did this to my stock front bumper:

Despite the significant crash and damage elsewhere to the Outcast the A Arms held up just fine.

So... The A Arms on the Arrma BLX stuff is not the sort of automatic upgrade I would be worried about undertaking.

I own 2 Traxxas Stampedes. One has a set of aluminum arms and the other has rpm ones.

Generally some flex points make sense . So far nothing weird happening with the Stampede with the Golden Horizons solid aluminum arms. However... That is with 3S use. Not sure what might happen when I upgrade my motor and esc and start to try 4S and up usage.

The stampede has very short arms combined with a very light vehicle. So, odds are, alloy arms will hold up better on it than something the size of the outcast.

Boil them? Really?
Yes, really. You boil them for 10 minutes and then some people spray them with WD-40 and let them soak for 24 hours and then wipe off the excess. It makes them more flexible and less likely to break. I am 50/50 on the WD-40 depending on the time I have.

I haven't personally tried boiling parts in 20 years... I read that on forums when I first found forums way back when I had my first RC which was a losi xxx-nt. The arms/towers on that thing would break if you looked at them too hard. Never found that boiling them did anything at all other than waste time and get stuff wet.

Yes, really. You boil them for 10 minutes and then some people spray them with WD-40 and let them soak for 24 hours and then wipe off the excess. It makes them more flexible and less likely to break. I am 50/50 on the WD-40 depending on the time I have.
I have definitely sprayed them with WD but what does the boiling do?

I have definitely sprayed them with WD but what does the boiling do?
I honestly don't know. I have just seen both of those things done to a arms on other forums. I don't know what they do exactly or if they do anything at all. I haven't done any testing to know for sure if they make an impact or not.

I think it makes it more flexible but I am not positive. But why bother when there is this company called RPM, haha
For the Talion, Kraton and Outcast, yes, I would definitely go RPM. Unfortunately for my Senton and Typhon there aren't any other options.:(

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back