Kraton Should I get a Kraton v5 or EXB?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graycat

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Looking to get myself a new kraton. Would like all your thoughts on whether you all would go after the EXB or the new V5 considering the upgrades to the chassis, arms, bearings, etc bridging the gap... and price/value/durability. Go.

Thanks!

I like all the EXB parts except for the overrated EXB chassis. Not from experience. But seen some carnage with it. So The EXB to me might probably be needing an M2C chassis. Add that to the $$$ spent. Aftermarket Electrics is money well spent I imagine. But a RTR Kraton may also be the deal too. Depends how you slice it. Because you will def. need a new chassis. A given to an M2C. If its your first RC, a RTR is best for sure $$ wise. Some of us have 6S rigs already and multimodel remotes, spare motors and electrics etc. An EXB may be a bigger plunge for a first timer.

Seems like a coin toss to me, EXB if you already have all the electronics, if not V5 makes sense. Either way you will need a better chassis IMO. If I had to do it probably go V5.

There are a lot of goodies with the EXB. Tough call. The arms are beefed up, many goodies there. The newcomer gets more bang with the RTR. The roller maybe not? Do a V5 RTR and just invest in the chassis and towers and braces. Hmm. tough nut. Arrma made it difficult to choose.

The V5 has a lot of EXB parts, so if you upgrade the
chassis ($130)
shock towers (2x $50)
chassis braces (2x $10)
servo mount ($20),
they should be very similar

The V5 has a lot of EXB parts, so if you upgrade the
chassis ($130)
shock towers (2x $50)
chassis braces (2x $10)
servo mount ($20),
they should be very similar

Except in price.

Kraton v5: 569, plus 270 you mentioned = 840.

EXB + Max6/4985 1650 combo = 710, plus a 60 quid servo gets you going cheaper, with less hassle and better electronics.

For those that have owned both - is the jury still out on whether the exb diffs are more reliable? Right now I feel like that’s my biggest hang up - do I go with the rtr with standard diff setup or do I trust the “new and improved” tougher diffs offered in the exb?

Except in price.

Kraton v5: 569, plus 270 you mentioned = 840.

EXB + Max6/4985 1650 combo = 710, plus a 60 quid servo gets you going cheaper, with less hassle and better electronics.
I'd get the EXB version too, but sadly the outcast/notorious doesn't have one (yet).

If you like the stock electronics V5 all day long, especially interested in seeing how that dual protocol reciever works out for people, especially those that have rigs that are still ruining on tactics. My son's favorite tx is still the tactic. Although he really drools over my futaba & I picked him up a futaba 4pls with r203 reciever for $50, but he burnt up that reciever so the pls is currently shelved until I get him another one?.

Anyways, the V5 with a few m2c goodies is a nice choice. I have the exb arms & shock pins. They aren't as durable as the RPM arms, so I went back to the rpm front arms (I've had them do this ? idk how many times and they just won't break??) and the rear arms really threw off my geometry without the exb tower. The rest of the exb I equate to having a bunch of H.R. or integy hopups from Amazon, you'll end up replacing them for better stuff in the end when you could have just started there.

In fact idk if it's even worth buying an complete Arrma kit anymore unless it's a really different model (like a infraction, limitless, Mojave) from what I have now. I'll just start building them from scratch starting with a m2c chassis, towers, braces & fill in the diffs, bulkheads, driveshafts, screws & plastics with jennysrc.com ?‍♂️

Just an FYI, as an owner of an EXB, there are parts that still need upgraded.

Chassis
Chassis braces (EXB braces are sooooooft)
Shock standoffs
Rear arms
Shock ends/perches (Nero HD ??)
Wing mount
Rear diff shims or LSD plates

Optional
Rear bumper
PPS motor mount, diff mount, cover, roll bar mount

Just an FYI, as an owner of an EXB, there are parts that still need upgraded.

Chassis
Chassis braces (EXB braces are sooooooft)
Shock standoffs
Rear arms
Shock ends/perches (Nero HD ??)
Wing mount
Rear diff shims or LSD plates

Optional
Rear bumper
PPS motor mount, diff mount, cover, roll bar mount
See, I knew it! Gotta throw my rpm rear arms back on. I did have the exb steel rear mount inserts (handed down to my son after getting m2c suspension mount), and if you can't afford to get the m2c kit, probably the cheapest and best things they did on the exb. I ended up bending a pin and gouging the heck outta the exb arms when I landed on a fence at a new skatepark. But those steel inserts took it, and didn't even elongate the holes. ? The m2c suspension mounts are on another level however, and I'm in ???

For those that have owned both - is the jury still out on whether the exb diffs are more reliable? Right now I feel like that’s my biggest hang up - do I go with the rtr with standard diff setup or do I trust the “new and improved” tougher diffs offered in the exb?

I wouldn't worry about the EXB diffs. On the Kraton EXB, the front and center diffs with the active LSD plates were never a problem - it was always the rear diff in the open configuration. Now that the sun gear has been shimmed, that issue appears to be resolved. I've shimmed by rear using 12x18 shims as described on this forum and have had no issues.

I wouldn't worry about the EXB diffs. On the Kraton EXB, the front and center diffs with the active LSD plates were never a problem - it was always the rear diff in the open configuration. Now that the sun gear has been shimmed, that issue appears to be resolved. I've shimmed by rear using 12x18 shims as described on this forum and have had no issues.
Same so far. On my exb open diffs that I’ve fixed with shims, I’m curious as to how the new pre-shimmed diffs are going to be.. ive got one of those too! Time will tell. Just need some dry weather!

Same so far. On my exb open diffs that I’ve fixed with shims, I’m curious as to how the new pre-shimmed diffs are going to be.. ive got one of those too! Time will tell. Just need some dry weather!
You forgot to credit @BashingBrian again ???????‍♂️??‍♂️????

I have the v5 and I can say I have torn down all the diffs and there isn't a single place for me to add a shim. They did a good job from the factory.

Question for you guys that went to rpm arms over exb arms, how did you fasten the shock end to the a arm? The exb mounting pin is too long for the rpm arm
20201120_105920.jpg

I have the v5 and I can say I have torn down all the diffs and there isn't a single place for me to add a shim. They did a good job from the factory.

Question for you guys that went to rpm arms over exb arms, how did you fasten the shock end to the a arm? The exb mounting pin is too long for the rpm arm
View attachment 109989
AR330231 is the part number you’ll need.

Back