Kraton Should I get a Kraton v5 or EXB?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graycat

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Looking to get myself a new kraton. Would like all your thoughts on whether you all would go after the EXB or the new V5 considering the upgrades to the chassis, arms, bearings, etc bridging the gap... and price/value/durability. Go.

Thanks!

OR spend €50 for a FS-GT5, if you want anything with more settings

True, but it's more than double the price for me. $ 120 normally and even on Black Friday deal it's $ 105 Canadian. For bashing the DumboRC is great. Extra receivers are stupidly cheap and the range on this thing is completely insane. Over 400m for me and that's near a cell phone tower and a few k from an airport.

Don’t the rtrs come with the dx3 now. It’s pretty solid radio. Horizon is hilarious, they sell all their rtrs (not just Arrmas) with a crap radio for two years and are still in business.
After buying 4 rigs with the STX2 and finding out what a POS that was included in my $500+ truck, I swore to never buy another Arrma. That was a year and half ago, since then bought other brands. Recently bought the V3 Bigrock, only because of the upgrades and most importantly the new SLT3. Arrma needs to prove to me they deserve my business, but with the K8S and EXB early problems, I'm still watching!

After buying 4 rigs with the STX2 and finding out what a POS that was included in my $500+ truck, I swore to never buy another Arrma. That was a year and half ago, since then bought other brands. Recently bought the V3 Bigrock, only because of the upgrades and most importantly the new SLT3. Arrma needs to prove to me they deserve my business, but with the K8S and EXB early problems, I'm still watching!
Or you could have spent maybe $50 for a DumboRC X6A and 3 extra receivers and not worried about it.

I'm the opposite - I saw how they responded to the EXB diff issue, despite the difficulties of COVID, and heard their CEO speak about it. I"m impressed with how they handled it.

But hey, go buy a Hoss if you'd rather. (y)

Or you could have spent maybe $50 for a DumboRC X6A and 3 extra receivers and not worried about it.

I'm the opposite - I saw how they responded to the EXB diff issue, despite the difficulties of COVID, and heard their CEO speak about it. I"m impressed with how they handled it.

But hey, go buy a Hoss if you'd rather. (y)
That's not my point, I have many radios and did change them over. What pisses me off is I paid a couple thousand dollars on all these trucks and Arrma had to know about that radio. Are you impressed on how the CEO handled that one? As I said, just bought a V3 Bigrock, why, because they addressed some issues and ditched the radio, finally! And why the hell would I buy a Hoss, Daddy!

That's not my point, I have many radios and did change them over. What pisses me off is I paid a couple thousand dollars on all these trucks and Arrma had to know about that radio. Are you impressed on how the CEO handled that one? As I said, just bought a V3 Bigrock, why, because they addressed some issues and ditched the radio, finally! And why the hell would I buy a Hoss, Daddy!
Careful calling me Daddy, I'll get all excited. ;)

I get why you aren't happy but I wasn't around when this went down so I don't know how obvious it was, what the timeline was or how Jason or the company responded. I can't judge based on that. I wasn't going to run the stock radio anyway so it didn't matter to me. I do like that they are making the EXB rollers though, those are great. Companies and people screw up. Mistakes are made. It's how they deal with problems that matters to me. Maybe that has changed from the STX2 issue but I am just going off of what I experienced. I get that you are unhappy about that situation. Just out of curiosity, were you able to warranty the radios? Or would they just send another of the same thing?

That V3 Big Rock looks like a great truck. I think it's the best 1/10 basher out there.

Careful calling me Daddy, I'll get all excited. ;)

I get why you aren't happy but I wasn't around when this went down so I don't know how obvious it was, what the timeline was or how Jason or the company responded. I can't judge based on that. I wasn't going to run the stock radio anyway so it didn't matter to me. I do like that they are making the EXB rollers though, those are great. Companies and people screw up. Mistakes are made. It's how they deal with problems that matters to me. Maybe that has changed from the STX2 issue but I am just going off of what I experienced. I get that you are unhappy about that situation. Just out of curiosity, were you able to warranty the radios? Or would they just send another of the same thing?

That V3 Big Rock looks like a great truck. I think it's the best 1/10 basher out there.
No Man, they wouldn't do anything for me with the radios, got all 4 models when they first came out. Heard later on some people were able to get the Tactic, some the STX3 which was probably no better. Anyway, water under the bridge, don't like beating dead horse with this radio thing, but did leave a bad taste in my mouth for a long time.

Yes the V3 BR is awesome, agree one of the best bangs for the buck right now, really love it. Sorry for calling you Daddy!

So what exactly is new about the V5 over the V4 - except the radio, which I couldn't care less about? I saw an EXB rear chassis brace in one description, but that's it.. Couldn't care less about "Smart" either... Thanks.

When you look at the sides of the box, Arrma lists all the new changes.

I addressed my thoughts on it on the other thread.

To me (in Europe) it's not a very interesting upgrade. For one, the Kraton has gone through at least three price hikes in the last eight months, so the V5 would cost €619, instead of the €539 or so the V4 cost back in May..

The Spektrum electronics stuff is just a rebrand, so means nothing. And I use a far better radio brand (Sanwa) anyway (I would never use Spektrum..) Smart IMO is just a gimmick - don't need it, and sure as heck don't want to pay for it..

The rest seems negligible afaic. I'm not trying to prove anything by jumping over houses or whatever.. The V4 is just fine. And I'm not giving Horizon any more money and thus rewarding their continually jacking the prices up...

I addressed my thoughts on it on the other thread.

To me (in Europe) it's not a very interesting upgrade. For one, the Kraton has gone through at least three price hikes in the last eight months, so the V5 would cost €619, instead of the €539 or so the V4 cost back in May..

The Spektrum electronics stuff is just a rebrand, so means nothing. And I use a far better radio brand (Sanwa) anyway (I would never use Spektrum..) Smart IMO is just a gimmick - don't need it, and sure as heck don't want to pay for it..

The rest seems negligible afaic. I'm not trying to prove anything by jumping over houses or whatever.. The V4 is just fine. And I'm not giving Horizon any more money and thus rewarding their continually jacking the prices up...
Are other brands prices more comparable or are they much higher too? There’s a lot of great 1/8 scale cars out there.

Five years ago Aarma was a very much more nicely priced alternative to Horizon products... Until Horizon bought them of course...

And that is a bit of the point. There just aren't that many more competitors around anymore, because Horizon buys them all up. And that is not a good thing IMO.... I'm not too involved in the car world anymore (more into planes - and there, hell yes - Hobbyking, Banggood, etc.. offer MUCH better value for money...), but several years ago the Thunder Tiger MT4 G3 was far FAR better value than what Horizon was charging... Now I don't really know.. Seems the car world has gotten more expensive across the board, as the competition has dwindled... (no HPI anymore for ex.? Associated? etc..)

Yeah, if one brand has high prices, its competitors don’t need low prices to be competitive
Just go to Arrmas website everything is on there.
Did you just get a Notorious? I remember your profile having no ARRMAs and a rustler prof. pic

For cars Habao is priced nice and their quality is pretty good. Not sure if they are available in your area. I’m not up on who owns them, maybe Horizon...

Yeah, if one brand has high prices, its competitors don’t need low prices to be competitive

Did you just get a Notorious? I remember your profile having no ARRMAs and a rustler prof. pic
I am getting the Notorious for Christmas, on my pfp I have the Traxxas BigFoot.

Looking to get myself a new kraton. Would like all your thoughts on whether you all would go after the EXB or the new V5 considering the upgrades to the chassis, arms, bearings, etc bridging the gap... and price/value/durability. Go.

Thanks!
So what did you end up going for? And are you happy? I’m facing the same dilemma now. What to do........

Back