Kraton Should I move from 800kv to 1100kv?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko R1

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Notorious
Hi guys - I'm currently running an XLX2 with 800kv (39/39) in my K8S, can I achieve a higher top speed or am I maxxed out with my gearing? Reason I ask is that & thinking about buying a 2nd motor...the 1100kv...is this considered an 'upgrade', will I see a higher top speed & is it worth it or am I burning my money :)

As a side note, I've yet to play with my timing/punch settings etc & in fact, my ESC settings are at stock standard - I do have the USB link so maybe I should play with the settings first...

Cheers!

I don't know how fast you have gotten out of that combo , but with my K8S HW Max5 / 1100kv , 27t pinion , stock spur mine goes 54mph which is conservative as the motor has never seen over 146 for temp without fans . Have seen my combo with a 29t pinion and went 58- 59mph .

Hi guys - I'm currently running an XLX2 with 800kv (39/39) in my K8S, can I achieve a higher top speed or am I maxxed out with my gearing? Reason I ask is that & thinking about buying a 2nd motor...the 1100kv...is this considered an 'upgrade', will I see a higher top speed & is it worth it or am I burning my money :)

As a side note, I've yet to play with my timing/punch settings etc & in fact, my ESC settings are at stock standard - I do have the USB link so maybe I should play with the settings first...

Cheers!

Might be something to consider, I wouldn't say either one is better than the other OR any type of "upgrade"... Going to 1100KV from 800KV is 10,080 RPM difference on fully charged 8s. Will it achieve that KV under load and keeps your temps in check, probably not.

^^^ +1
10K rpm's may be a small difference on paper when you consider actual running load with a 30 pound rig.:unsure:
If you compare the weight difference between the 800kv and 1100kv motor, this may tell the picture better. The heavier motor will probably be more powerful. Torque wise. Which is what you want with a 30 pound 8s rig.

First Try overdriving the spur more for better speed.
Or bump Motor timing up one notch at a time at the ESC. Checking motor temps.
Just my spin.

Last edited:
Powerwise they are the same motor, so it's only an upgrade if you can't physically fit in a higher gearratio. Should be plenty of room in there.

Maybe use that usb thingy to have a peak at the logs what amps and temps are :) Standard settings should be fine in terms of top speed.

Decided to stick with my 800kv / XLX2 setup!

Got this bad boy 29t Limitless spool gear to act as a spur gear for my K8S 🙂

What pinion should I run as I want more top speed than my current 39/39 setup?

Also running the Caste twin blower fan.

D00FCF08-96A9-4689-B7CF-C989FB88A17C.jpeg

Use the 39t pinion and see what it does. Be sure to use the sensor wire. Have you dialed in the settings on your esc?

Use the 39t pinion and see what it does. Be sure to use the sensor wire. Have you dialed in the settings on your esc?
That will be massive top speed gearing but I could try that - what settings do you suggest on esc? Atm it is factory stock settings but I have the usb link for it

There are a few threads on here about the xlx2 settings. There are alot of different things to mess with. If you have the B-link it makes things really easy to adjust. I could write a load on all the settings, but to get it running the basics would be power setting at full, punch control at 0% (the higher the percent the less punch on castles) and start power on Low. Those are the main ones imo. Secondary would be braking % and depending on what servo you run, up the bec power to 7.5v If your servo can take it. The things I don't mess with are motor timing, rotation and drag braking....but that's just me.
Hope that clears things up.

The tires limit the top speed. Don't think it's worth the money to change motors.

Set my top speed at about 75+ km/h. Anything more just forces you to glue tires too often on the KS8. At full throttle on gravel you have quite some ballooning, but still ok. Use silicon ear plugs in the center diff to reduce front ballooning.

On top of that the wheels are not too balanced. To much speed just creates a lot of wobble. Had my max speed at about 110 km/h before. Also does not handle nice at that speed. Pizza tires at that speed.

Last edited:

Cheers!
You answered your own question.
Never considered dialing in the ESC paramters first?:unsure:
Don't expect much speed with the 1/5 8s rigs. These are not like the lighter 6s 1/8 rigs. Being a 30+ pound rig. Double the weight of most 6s rigs. Whether its a down grade or not is a moot point. You can make both 1100kv or 800kv work for you. Might just be splitting hairs, between both. Torque/RPM's are different to some extent, but that is where Gearing takes over.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back