Kraton Should I replace this diff output? (pic)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
I have had the dog bone pop out twice now. Is this the reason why?

20180812_174518.jpg

To me it doesn't seem like wear there would make the dog bone pop out. I also had the diff out drive come loose both times it happened: first the front one and on this occaison the rear one. I secured both using blue locktite on the set screws. But I'm not sure if it was the outdrives coming free that caused the dog bone to pop out or the wear shown in the picture. Thoughts?

That looks pretty chewed up. Mine has wear there too but I have yet to pop out a dogbone.

Last edited:
I don't know what would cause wear there like that other than the dogbone causing it when it does pop out. I have (had) that issue on my savage flux in the front until I put thicker o-rings in the inside cups. Different design, but when it would pop out, the ears would bang the crap out of the edges of the cup. Looks like I took a hammer to them. I can't imagine wear in that spot is the cause of it popping out, but it could be a side effect.

I don't know what would cause wear there like that other than the dogbone causing it when it does pop out. I have (had) that issue on my savage flux in the front until I put thicker o-rings in the inside cups. Different design, but when it would pop out, the ears would bang the crap out of the edges of the cup. Looks like I took a hammer to them. I can't imagine wear in that spot is the cause of it popping out, but it could be a side effect.

I have an old nitro Savage X so I know what you are talking about. I went ahead and rebuilt the diff. It was missing a washer on the outside of one of the spider gears. The piniom gear on the end of the input shaft felt very rough too. I'll see how this one hold up.

That out drive cup is trashed. You will now have to replace the out drive cups. Pictures explain it all.
20180816_123442.jpg
20180816_123534.jpg

That out drive cup is trashed. You will now have to replace the out drive cups. Pictures explain it all. View attachment 21308 View attachment 21309

Thanks. I've master where the dog bone part goes a long time ago. It is odd that Arrma makes them like this though. Kind of a crappy design. The walls are thin there and when the cvd popped out it chipped away at it. It's since been replaced.

Thanks. I've master where the dog bone part goes a long time ago. It is odd that Arrma makes them like this though. Kind of a crappy design. The walls are thin there and when the cvd popped out it chipped away at it. It's since been replaced.
Cool, was just trying to help didn't mean to come across like a butthead. What I did to mine, as suggested by another member here, was heat treat them myself. I heated them up with a butane torch till glowing red and them immersed them in 20w50 motor oil till cool. Works well and haven't had a problem with wear or chipping yet, done almost a year ago and bash the crap out of it often. Just a little food for thought and maybe a helpful tip to avoid future problems, good luck and keep the rubber side down.

Cool, was just trying to help didn't mean to come across like a butthead. What I did to mine, as suggested by another member here, was heat treat them myself. I heated them up with a butane torch till glowing red and them immersed them in 20w50 motor oil till cool. Works well and haven't had a problem with wear or chipping yet, done almost a year ago and bash the crap out of it often. Just a little food for thought and maybe a helpful tip to avoid future problems, good luck and keep the rubber side down.

No worries :) I will have to give that a try. Thanks Thanks for the tip!

I cut the lil rubber spacers you get for servos in half and put the in the drive cups so the dogbones don't have as much play.

I used to do that to my savage center cups. Used engine oil with carbon in it helps too. If you can get the part hot enough to suck any carbon out of the old oil into the surface.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back