Should i return these Lipos?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Harvey What GIF
It's nothing outrageous. The batteries will just be a bit warm and well within any normal operating temperatures.

This is what was going through my head when you said that
Top Gear: Top Tip

When warming your batteries...use a convection and not a microwave oven. Unless you're really into pyrotechnics in your kitchen at 3AM (I think we can all agree that the only time of day better suited for such an event is 4:02AM, but I'm willing to compromise in a pinch)...in that case, knock yourself out. You probably will actually, so don't forget to fasten your condom.

I meant helmet.

Tried the battery heating trick and now I need a new deep fryer.

Son...if I've told you once I've told you a thousand times...when deep frying lipos you may ONLY USE sunflower, corn, soybean, and flaxseed oils and NEVER avocado or olive oil. The high levels of polyunsaturated fats are key to proper electrolyzation of your cathodes & anodes which increases your theoretical max amp load by 60-65%. High concentrations of oleic acid in avocado oil is for lead acid batteries only.

The Saga continues: I got a response back from Hoovo about my negative amazon review. They seem to think the batteries I received had a "slight internal short circuit" which caused the 30mOhm IR, whatever that's supposed to mean :unsure:
Screenshot_20221204-192123_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I've never been broken up with by a Lipo manufacturer before... and here I thought the breakup was mutual....???
Screenshot_20221204-192250_Amazon Shopping.jpg

The Saga continues: I got a response back from Hoovo about my negative amazon review. They seem to think the batteries I received had a "slight internal short circuit" which caused the 30mOhm IR, whatever that's supposed to mean :unsure:
View attachment 260450
I've never been broken up with by a Lipo manufacturer before... and here I thought the breakup was mutual....???
View attachment 260452
lol...that wasn't a break up. That was the girl apologizing for burning the pasta and promising to use use colder water next time.

lol...that wasn't a break up. That was the girl apologizing for burning the pasta and promising to use use colder water next time.
Yeah, it sounded like a pretty typical customer service response to an unhappy customer. I'm at least happy that there is some visibility to them about the situation and that they confirmed they saw it. Maybe they'll use it to look around and make a few adjustments? I can only assume a lipo manufacturer wants to improve so they can keep customers and keep business.

Yeah, it sounded like a pretty typical customer service response to an unhappy customer. I'm at least happy that there is some visibility to them about the situation and that they confirmed they saw it. Maybe they'll use it to look around and make a few adjustments? I can only assume a lipo manufacturer wants to improve so they can keep customers and keep business.
One would hope that this sort of philosophy is the dominant perspective among manufacturers in general but...thankfully the world is not powered by hope. :)

LiPo seller, none of these companies that sell lipo packs actually make the cells.

LiPo seller, none of these companies that sell lipo packs actually make the cells.
Is this a potato, potato instance? Yes they don't manufacture the cells, but manufacture or assembly of the cells into packs with wrap/hardcase, wires and leads, tab solders, etc? Still got to be done, or do they just slap a label on?

Is this a potato, potato instance? Yes they don't manufacture the cells, but manufacture or assembly of the cells into packs with wrap/hardcase, wires and leads, tab solders, etc? Still got to be done, or do they just slap a label on?
I'd wager a large percentage just do the latter. Just a gut feeling though. I have the sneaking suspicion that we've probably never heard the name of most of the production/assembly lines :)

If you want to drive the IR lower, just pop them into a heating bag for an hour. You can cut your IR in half doing that.
Also, Lipos perform at their peak potential, best when they are charged at aprox 100-110F. How the track guys do it. They like them warm. Charging at very high C rates. But they don't get much life out of them. Just want to get to the mains, what matters. Usually Stock class rigs.
My ISDT does that too the ir evens out and lowers a little bit as the voltage gets closer to 4.2v.
I read Industry Whitepapers somewhere that IR readings are best evaluated when cells are fully charged.
And I always felt New packs perform their best after a few cycles of use.

Also, Lipos perform at their peak potential, best when they are charged at aprox 100-110F. How the track guys do it. They like them warm. Charging at very high C rates. But they don't get much life out of them. Just want to get to the mains, what matters. Usually Stock class rigs.

I read Industry Whitepapers somewhere that IR readings are best evaluated when cells are fully charged.
And I always felt New packs perform their best after a few cycles of use.
Yeah, exactly. Stock classes are stupidly competitive because you're so limited in what you're allowed to change on the car. I'm sure all those guys have a battery sponsor too so no one cares about how fast they're burning through their packs.
Check it out man, just found these two hours ago while rummaging through some boxes. The breakfast of champions, a Sanyo 6-cell 1700mAh, a Joel "Magic"Johnson stock and Team Losi "Jr.'s Choice.
1670232264486.jpeg

Last edited:

Some do just slap a label on. I know SMC, Max Amps and maybe gensacearespammers actually assemble their own packs, but beyond that I am willing to bet that most of the rest of them are a 3rd party seller.

Last edited:
Yeah, exactly. Stock classes are stupidly competitive because you're so limited in what you're allowed to change on the car. I'm sure all those guys have a battery sponsor too so no one cares about how fast they're burning through their packs.
Check it out man, just found these two hours ago while rummaging through some boxes. The breakfast of champions, a Sanyo 6-cell 1700mAh, a Joel "Magic"Johnson stock and Team Losi "Jr.'s Choice.
View attachment 260492
Wow, your RC days go way back..... Like mine. Sanyo's ruled. And dam they were expensive. 1700mah NiCads were considered "high capacity" back then.:giggle: 1200-1300-mah was more the norm. And yes still barely got you 5 mins into a race. If you geared wrong, you had a DNF. Which was always embarrasing at the track. Handwound Modified class designer motors were costly. $100. + Racing mod class was costly. I couldn't keep up with those guys. But I tried. My wallet wasn't that deep. I did well in Stock class. I could Place once a month. To me that was an accomplishment. I was a young guy running against older seasoned gents. But learned alot. I had 2 RC10T's, one for each class.
If you find old pix of a Pit table at events back in the day, and look at Pit tables today, you would be blown away. It evolved drastically.
It was all Tekin, Novak, Sanwa and Futaba equipment back then. That's all there was.
I would buy a gross of Sanyo cells and weed out the poor cells and solder up aprox, Maybe get 5-6 good Race packs out of 144 Batched Sanyo Nicad cells. I'd sell off the rest at the track. I made bench/practice packs sometimes. Sounds ludicrous. But that was the best way to do it. Took me days to test, group, and cycle the best cells for a pack. Every single cell of 144 cells in all. Today, I look back and I can't believe I actually did that.:LOL:
Lipos rule.
Edited.

Last edited:
Did they not offer to replace after admitting there was a quality issue?

Did they not offer to replace after admitting there was a quality issue?
They didn't, however I had already started the return process on amazon, so I wonder if their hands were tied potentially. Like "well we can't offer him a replacement if amazon is processing his return". In a way, perhaps i might have shot them in the foot, since now they can't "make right the wrong" and turn around my amazon review. But having both lipos that consistently out of the acceptable range just seemed very coincidental to me. I am not sure if I'd want a second pair to try.

Don't get me wrong, even though now i'm returning the lipos, i'd be happy to have them contact me about getting another "fixed" pair of packs after the return gets processed :ROFLMAO:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back