Should i return these Lipos?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hector_Fisher

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton EXB
Not sure if Amazon accepts lipo returns or what the "excuse" would be that I would give, but frankly these numbers are unacceptable for a new battery. And I feel rather dumb/embarassed considering how I've promoted Hoovo based on my experience with the first pair I bought.

I'm considering returning these and looking for something else or buying the "old style" hoovo's. Thoughts? Or is this "just what you get for black friday sales"?
20221128_194412.jpg

20221128_194606.jpg

Not sure if Amazon accepts lipo returns or what the "excuse" would be that I would give, but frankly these numbers are unacceptable for a new battery. And I feel rather dumb/embarassed considering how I've promoted Hoovo based on my experience with the first pair I bought.

I'm considering returning these and looking for something else or buying the "old style" hoovo's. Thoughts? Or is this "just what you get for black friday sales"?
View attachment 259130
View attachment 259129
If they are prime with 30 days return guarantee and you’re within 30 days then yes. I’ve sent back batteries that were ‘off’. They will send all the warning and pre-paid address labels so you can box them up and mail back.

Last edited:
Amazon has great customer service and will take anything back. That protection is the only reason I feel safe buying cheap lipos from Amazon.

Start the return. And buy some other batteries quick before cyber monday ends.

I just bought a pair of these. Not as good of a deal but should be much higher quality.

If they are prime with 30 days return guarantee and you’re within 30 days then yes. I’ve sent back batteries before that were ‘off’. They will send all the warning and pre-paid address labels so you can box them up and mail back.
I guess I expected based on my past experience, and these were larger capacity, that the IR would at least be similar (was 6, 4, 4 for my 5500mah packs). I'd be okay with something even in the 8,8,8 range for the price.
Amazon has great customer service and will take anything back. That protection is the only reason I feel safe buying cheap lipos from Amazon.

Start the return. And buy some other batteries quick before cyber monday ends.
Yeah good advice. If this were you, would you tempt fate again? Or try another brand? It's a budget brand, so it's a bit of the roll of the dice I suppose.

Yes send those back, those are numbers you would expect from batteries that are 2-3 years and hundreds of cycles old not brand new.

-edit- when did they add IR to the B6AC?

If this were you, would you tempt fate again? Or try another brand? It's a budget brand, so it's a bit of the roll of the dice I suppose.
I edited my post right after you quoted it. I've slowly been transitioning from cheap brands to better batteries.

I edited my post right after you quoted it. I've slowly been transitioning from cheap brands to better batteries.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm worried about fit on the KEXB. My old hoovos are listed at 37mm tall and I have to squeeze them into the battery box currently. I know those cnhl's are listed at 37mm tall as well. I'd probably go for these just based on the current budget:
https://a.co/d/dZ3gtQQ
hadn't really looked at what amazon offered for cnhl, so thank you for the insight! The 6600s seem to be the same 37mm size, so it's worth a shot.
Yes send those back, those are numbers you would expect from batteries that are 2-3 years and hundreds of cycles old not brand new.

-edit- when did they add IR to the B6AC?
I've had this one since 2014 or 2015. First charger I ever bought.
Amazon took back some Zeee lipos with horrid IR numbers. No issues. At the time I was still printing out labels and had to print out the UN label and affix it to the box but that was the only extra step.
Really appreciate the encouragement! I usually do too much research before buying a product. So I don't normally make returns except for broken items etc, so this will be atypical of me.

I'm sitting here thinking about the 3s smc packs I bought and how I'm probably never going to really use them. I think I've only used them twice, so they aren't even broken in yet. I should probably list them :eek:

I was hunting for some 4s packs the other day and I was so close to buying the hovoo. I see people here praise them all the time. I don't know what it was though I just didn't want to get them. I ended up going with iirc the 100$ socokin 4s 7600 mah pair of lipos but they won't be here until Wednesday. I only have experience with a couple brands and my socokin 6s packs have been absolutely amazing so far. The wifey has used that 6s pack for like 8 months now and the IR still low af and it packed noticeably more punch than the Zee battery.

Definitely a good budget brand.

I'm sitting here thinking about the 3s smc packs I bought and how I'm probably never going to really use them. I think I've only used them twice, so they aren't even broken in yet. I should probably list them :eek:

I was hunting for some 4s packs the other day and I was so close to buying the hovoo. I see people here praise them all the time. I don't know what it was though I just didn't want to get them. I ended up going with iirc the 100$ socokin 4s 7600 mah pair of lipos but they won't be here until Wednesday. I only have experience with a couple brands and my socokin 6s packs have been absolutely amazing so far. The wifey has used that 6s pack for like 8 months now and the IR still low af and it packed noticeably more punch than the Zee battery.

Let me know if you want to sell those SMC 😉

as far as returns of Lipo batteries to amazon they always accept them back. Doesn’t even matter why you want to return them. I have returned 3 sets back to Amazon for various reasons.

FWIW, my first pair of Hoovo's were/still are awesome. If you took the labels off, you could have fooled me that my old packs and these new packs were from different companies. My old set of hoovo's is the only set of lipos I have that can survive a bashing session in my KEXB without getting above 120 degrees on the lipos. And thats against a set of SMC v2 graphenes and some zee "premiums". So I was very pleased with them. IR for my old set when I bought was like 6,4,4 iirc. So not perfect, but not bad for a pair of 5500mah 3s packs that were only $50 dollars on a random sale.

The hoovo lipos recently took on a new "look". Maybe that has something to do with the lower quality.

Have heard good things about Hoovo and Socokin and my luck with them has been good!

I stayed away from CNHL's after a few users here reported fires. I think they have that figured out now though and I hear good things about them too.

Do you have another charger you can check the IR? Also plugging the battery directly into the charger and not using that extension might help. When you are dealing with voltage drop calcs and milliohms things get tricky. Even my D6 Duo will give me different values in consecutive tests.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm worried about fit on the KEXB. My old hoovos are listed at 37mm tall and I have to squeeze them into the battery box currently. I know those cnhl's are listed at 37mm tall as well. I'd probably go for these just based on the current budget:
https://a.co/d/dZ3gtQQ
hadn't really looked at what amazon offered for cnhl, so thank you for the insight! The 6600s seem to be the same 37mm size, so it's worth a shot.

I've had this one since 2014 or 2015. First charger I ever bought.

Really appreciate the encouragement! I usually do too much research before buying a product. So I don't normally make returns except for broken items etc, so this will be atypical of me.
I bought mine in 2015 and it didn't have IR I feel like I got jipped.

I bought mine in 2015 and it didn't have IR I feel like I got jipped.
You sure you've cycled through all the menu options? On mine you have to back out to the battery selection menu, cycle past all the battery options on the menu tree. The IR function option is right next to the "battery meter" function one.

You sure you've cycled through all the menu options? On mine you have to back out to the battery selection menu, cycle past all the battery options on the menu tree. The IR function option is right next to the "battery meter" function one.

Wth mine doesn't even have that.

If you didn't purchase yet, these seem like a great deal as part of the CNHL flash sale. Free shipping (I think).

https://chinahobbyline.com/collecti...5&_fid=4948a33e1&_ss=c&variant=43846350078166
How does the 90c Racing (green and white colored label) series compare to the 120c Racing series (black colored label)? That's a pretty killer deal.

I picked up those 6600 120c racing packs i linked above though. They'll work for me better since the hardcase will fit in my 3s trucks and also should fit my kraton. The 90c Racing packs you linked wouldn't fit in my smaller trucks battery trays.
Have heard good things about Hoovo and Socokin and my luck with them has been good!

I stayed away from CNHL's after a few users here reported fires. I think they have that figured out now though and I hear good things about them too.

Do you have another charger you can check the IR? Also plugging the battery directly into the charger and not using that extension might help. When you are dealing with voltage drop calcs and milliohms things get tricky. Even my D6 Duo will give me different values in consecutive tests.
I measure all my new lipos with my b6ac, same setup. Gives a good baseline to compare packs against. My previous hoovo's were much better under the exact same circumstances. So i'm pretty sure it's a problem with these new packs.

I had the old style (5500mah), w/ 10 gauge marked wire like this:
1669753380167.png

The new packs aren't marked 10awg, the have some chinese writing on them and a bunch of numbers. I'm pretty confident pack quality declined with the new look. Personally, if I were to buy another hoovo, i would only consider getting the old style above. NOT this style \/ \/
1669753620466.png

Notice how they don't show the wire type anymore in the pictures????
Wth mine doesn't even have that.
Is yours the "V2"? maybe that's the difference?

How does the 90c Racing (green and white colored label) series compare to the 120c Racing series (black colored label)? That's a pretty killer deal.
There’s a chart floating around that I can’t find right now. It shows real-world C-rating testing of most major battery brands and product lines.

CNHL 90C product line was actually number one if I remember correctly. Highest of any battery tested, and the testing included a bunch of batteries with 100C+ claimed ratings. CNHL and SMC dominated the chart overall.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back