Typhon Should my Typhon bottom out on an 18” drop?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homebrew

Thou shalt not partake of decaf.
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Senton 3s
  3. Typhon 3s
Just replaced the arms with RPMs, rebuilt the shocks with 60 weight, and it bottoms out with a small drop. Does this seem right to you all?

It’s totally stock. I even filled them with 60. Maybe that’s not thick enough?

0C6E390C-8681-4F47-9325-C9012DD45944.jpeg

Last edited:
Oil thickness is for your return rate. Ie: Decompression. Thicker oil won’t help
Springs are for compression speed.
I’d increase preload if it bothers you. If you make it too stiff so it doesn’t bottom out as easily it may well bounce around more when driving as the springs won’t compress under normal driving.
As with all things suspension, it’s a compromise.

I don't think it's unusual. RPM arms are more flexible and make the RC bottom out more easily. Heavier oil and adding more preload spacers will definitely help. I have very stiff springs, 16mm shocks, with preload, and 80wt oil and still bottom out my Granite with RPM arms over 18 inches.

Oil thickness is for your return rate. Ie: Decompression. Thicker oil won’t help
I’d increase preload if it bothers you. If you make it too stiff so it doesn’t bottom out as easily it may well bounce around more when driving as the springs won’t compress under normal driving.
As with all things suspension, it’s a compromise.
I totally understand. It doesn’t really bother me as I don’t jump this car, I just drive it mainly. The Typhoon is made for driving and not so much jumping, right. I’m getting a couple of 6S shocks- Kratons and Mojave’s and I’ll see who those work out.
I don't think it's unusual. RPM arms are more flexible and make the RC bottom out more easily. Heavier oil and adding more preload spacers will definitely help. I have very stiff springs, 16mm shocks, with preload, and 80wt oil and still bottom out my Granite with RPM arms over 18 inches.
Thanks for that info!

Throw a couple more shims in your preload and see if it helps. You also might try:
-some heavier springs (6s springs come to mind) and if that doesn't help,
-step up to 90 wt. Heavier weight oil will slow down compression slightly on bigger hits, not just decompression.
-You could also try different pistons in your shocks.

It's a rabbit hole, for sure, but if you're willing to tinker, you'll find a sweet spot for your driving style.

Throw a couple more shims in your preload and see if it helps. You also might try:
-some heavier springs (6s springs come to mind) and if that doesn't help,
-step up to 90 wt. Heavier weight oil will slow down compression slightly on bigger hits, not just decompression.
-You could also try different pistons in your shocks.

It's a rabbit hole, for sure, but if you're willing to tinker, you'll find a sweet spot for your driving style.
Right on. Thanks! Everything is a rabbit hole. The more we look into specs, the more we get obsessed with the little things. Maybe it’s not that big of a deal, I don’t know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is just not true, both in what i read and in my experience.

Oil is for compression and decompression. Springs are for controlling the position of the shock "at rest" (ride height or under turns).

I just tried my 3s Typhon without any preload and with 15mm of preload (which is so much preload that the car doesn't sag at all even with a battery, which will make handle terribly) and the height i could drop the car until it slapped raised by maybe half an inch.

It's good for the car to slap the ground on landings, If you'll try to "fix" it then the suspension will be so stiff that the car will just bounce around on every bump, making it much worse.

This is just not true, both in what i read and in my experience.

Oil is for compression and decompression. Springs are for controlling the position of the shock "at rest" (ride height or under turns).

I just tried my 3s Typhon without any preload and with 15mm of preload (which is so much preload that the car doesn't sag at all even with a battery, which will make handle terribly) and the height i could drop the car until it slapped raised by maybe half an inch.

It's good for the car to slap the ground on landings, If you'll try to "fix" it then the suspension will be so stiff that the car will just bounce around on every bump, making it much worse.
Hell yea. This is what I was looking for. Thanks!

When you get the Kraton and Mojave shocks you'll notice that the springs are very stiff and, as stated above, the Typhon will bounce around a lot. To fix this I got a set of Team Associated RC8B3 yellow springs and now the car rides good and the springs are still stiff enough for jumping.
Screenshot_20210512-054016_Chrome.jpg

When you get the Kraton and Mojave shocks you'll notice that the springs are very stiff and, as stated above, the Typhon will bounce around a lot. To fix this I got a set of Team Associated RC8B3 yellow springs and now the car rides good and the springs are still stiff enough for jumping.View attachment 151034

Dear Kla912000

I saw your post on the springs and think of getting them for my ZD shocks on my Granite as well. Could you please tell me, what their inner diameter and length is?

My ZD shocks cylinders are quite big and I already bought 1:8 springs which didn’t fit as they were too narrow.
The stock springs of the ZD have about 20mm inner diameter.

Thanks

Dear Kla912000

I saw your post on the springs and think of getting them for my ZD shocks on my Granite as well. Could you please tell me, what their inner diameter and length is?

My ZD shocks cylinders are quite big and I already bought 1:8 springs which didn’t fit as they were too narrow.
The stock springs of the ZD have about 20mm inner diameter.

Thanks
I'm not at home to measure them but looking at the specs of the Team Associated RC8B3 shocks it seems that the ID is 19mm-20mm. But don't take my word for it as I'm not 100% sure. Do some more research to be sure.

Did some more research and found an answer for you. The ID of the Team Associated RC8B3 springs is 20mm.
Screenshot_20210609-062000_Google.jpg

Instead of having to buy Kraton or Mojo shocks, just get Typhon 6s shocks. They are an almost perfect fit. I have seen somewhere on this forum saying Kraton shocks don't work. Don't quote me on that!

Instead of having to buy Kraton or Mojo shocks, just get Typhon 6s shocks. They are an almost perfect fit. I have seen somewhere on this forum saying Kraton shocks don't work. Don't quote me on that!
Kraton 6s front shocks fit perfectly on the rear and Mojave 6S front shocks fit perfectly on the front of the Big Rock, Typhon 3s and Granite. The Kraton/Mojave shock combo is more readily available when the Typhon 6S shocks are almost always sold out. The Typhon 6S springs are way too soft and need replaced anyway. Plus the Kraton/ Mojave shock combo is almost HALF of the price of the Typhon 6S shocks.

I have both sets, Typhon 6S shocks and Kraton/Mojave shocks and the Kraton/ Mojave shocks are better than the Typhon 6S shocks.

I have a 3s BLX Senton and I'm running Mojave shocks in the front and Kraton shocks in the rear. I just upped my shock oil to 60wt all around and jumping and handling is much improved from before. I used the lightest available Mojave and Kraton springs, I'm wondering if those AE springs would be an improvement for me.

My stock typhon 3s did about the same as that.
I changed out my shocks to some powerhobby all aluminum shocks and they bottom out around 20” drop but still seems to handle very well, not bouncy. I’m a noob tho, so I might be an idiot

I have a 3s BLX Senton and I'm running Mojave shocks in the front and Kraton shocks in the rear. I just upped my shock oil to 60wt all around and jumping and handling is much improved from before. I used the lightest available Mojave and Kraton springs, I'm wondering if those AE springs would be an improvement for me.
The AE RC8B3 yellow springs are the best I've found yet for the 3s rigs with 6s shocks. Tried 4 different combinations and the AE are the best.

Back