Typhon Should my Typhon bottom out on an 18” drop?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homebrew

Thou shalt not partake of decaf.
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Senton 3s
  3. Typhon 3s
Just replaced the arms with RPMs, rebuilt the shocks with 60 weight, and it bottoms out with a small drop. Does this seem right to you all?

I'm not at home to measure them but looking at the specs of the Team Associated RC8B3 shocks it seems that the ID is 19mm-20mm. But don't take my word for it as I'm not 100% sure. Do some more research to be sure.

Did some more research and found an answer for you. The ID of the Team Associated RC8B3 springs is 20mm.View attachment 151049
Thanks Kla912000 for the info.

Will order them with my next repair parts order and see how they perform to the stock.

Instead of having to buy Kraton or Mojo shocks, just get Typhon 6s shocks. They are an almost perfect fit. I have seen somewhere on this forum saying Kraton shocks don't work. Don't quote me on that!
The Typhon 6s shock springs are considerably less stiff than the 3s shocks. You'll bottom out more with Typhon 6s shocks than stock 3s shocks unless you also get stiffer springs. Kraton and Mojave shocks are also a good fit AND they already come with stiffer springs.

It's good for the car to slap the ground on landings, If you'll try to "fix" it then the suspension will be so stiff that the car will just bounce around on every bump, making it much worse.
Depends on your priority. Yes my stiffer springs make the car bounce more on bumpy terrain. But I primarily jump. Once you're jumping high enough, softer springs suited for bumpy terrain will chassis slap so hard you can crack a chassis, trash an ESC, and bend motor mounts even when landing on all four wheels.

Last edited:
Depends on your priority. Yes my stiffer springs make the car bounce more on bumpy terrain. But I primarily jump. Once you're jumping high enough, softer springs suited for bumpy terrain will chassis slap so hard you can crack a chassis, trash an ESC, and bend motor mounts even when landing on all four wheels.
I was referring to oil viscosity, as i said, stiffer springs as nothing to do with chassis slap.

I was referring to oil viscosity, as i said, stiffer springs as nothing to do with chassis slap.
Sorry, I have to disagree. Of course do the springs affect the behavior upon landing.

The higher the spring rating (force required per displacement), the bigger the drop needs to be before full compression of the spring.

Imaging you have a spring with a rating like a real car on your RC. You would need to drop your RC from space before it would be able to compress that thing.

Sorry, I have to disagree. Of course do the springs affect the behavior upon landing.

The higher the spring rating (force required per displacement), the bigger the drop needs to be before full compression of the spring.

Imaging you have a spring with a rating like a real car on your RC. You would need to drop your RC from space before it would be able to compress that thing.
Of course, but you have to understand that the difference between the spring rates are so small it has really negelible effect. You cannot use springs that are so stiff so the car will not sag from it own weight. so you're left with really small range of spring stiffness.

Oil viscosity on the other hand have way more effect on landings.

Shocks are dampeners and springs are for rebound, the chassis is meant to slap.

Of course, but you have to understand that the difference between the spring rates are so small it has really negelible effect. You cannot use springs that are so stiff so the car will not sag from it own weight. so you're left with really small range of spring stiffness.

Oil viscosity on the other hand have way more effect on landings.
Springs have a huge effect. I have videos to prove it. I make videos of my jump sessions primarily to check the chassis slap and bounce and adjust accordingly. A single turn of pre-load on the springs makes a difference. Oil also makes a difference, but not as much as springs. Despite what you may have read, have you thoroughly tested it with hundreds of jumps on video and spring/oil/pinion adjustments? I have.

Sag has no place in a basher prioritized for jumping. Sag is for racing rigs or running fast on bumpy terrain. It's totally different and OPPOSITE from a jumping setup. Many have repeated suspension advice they saw from racers in this forum. But racers have super light rigs, groomed tracks and smooth downside landings. In general, they NEVER thump landings. If they make a mistake and thump a landing, THEY BOUNCE LIKE CRAZY. When you're stunt jumping, you don't have a groomed track with a nice downside landing. Racer suspension advice is NOT applicable to reducing chassis slap and bounce back in a stunt jumper.

Last edited:
Again, using springs that are so stiff so you have no sag is an approach.. it's what those 60$ chinese cars do as they have no oil. But Arrma cars are luckily better than that. Oil will have the same effect, you could easily go up in oil too much so you'll never have chassis slap (but broken parts instead...)

You Think rcdude81 and rich duperbash rigs have no sag? Watch their videos and see

Last edited:
You Think rcdude81 and rich duperbash rigs have no sag? Watch their videos and see
I know they do, because they also run high speed over bumpy terrain. Plus they have $1200 6s rigs with all the M2C upgrades so their rigs can take the hard chassis slaps. The OP started this thread because he was concerned about bottoming out. Telling him to have sag in his setup is simply the wrong advice. You won't see me suggesting my stiff setup to someone looking to setup their 3s for the track.

Check out the videos of 3s jumpers. Running high speed on rough terrain is not something the 3s line excels at. So these YouTubers don't do it. Instead they've optimized their 3s vehicles for landing jumps. Look at the preload, they are cranked down, there is no sag in these setups.

@0:18

@1:15 (AinsDRC also has 6s rigs. He primarily jumps and doesn't really do high speed off-road. His 6s shock setups are fully cranked down.)

@1:48

Last edited:
Springs have a huge effect. I have videos to prove it. I make videos of my jump sessions primarily to check the chassis slap and bounce and adjust accordingly. A single turn of pre-load on the springs makes a difference. Oil also makes a difference, but not as much as springs. Despite what you may have read, have you thoroughly tested it with hundreds of jumps on video and spring/oil/pinion adjustments? I have.

Sag has no place in a basher prioritized for jumping. Sag is for racing rigs or running fast on bumpy terrain. It's totally different and OPPOSITE from a jumping setup. Many have repeated suspension advice they saw from racers in this forum. But racers have super light rigs, groomed tracks and smooth downside landings. In general, they NEVER thump landings. If they make a mistake and thump a landing, THEY BOUNCE LIKE CRAZY. When you're stunt jumping, you don't have a groomed track with a nice downside landing. Racer suspension advice is NOT applicable to reducing chassis slap and bounce back in a stunt jumper.

For bashing I agree on this statement.

Suspension is always a compromise for situation (car, track, driving situation).
And spring type should match damper setup (oil+piston).
Stiff spring + light damper = Oscillations after landing
Light spring + thick damper = Immobile suspension after landing.

The springs take up energy when being compressed and store it. When expanding again, this energy is eaten up by the damper.
Preloading offsets the force required before compressing the spring, so a lot of energy goes into the car as a whole before it goes into the suspension.

So preventing slap = Stiff spring, preload and thick oil.
(Not that it drives any good though :unsure: )

Last edited:
So, because these people with basher channels don't happen to publish videos of themselves "running high speed over rough terrain" is not something that 3s vehicles excel at?

What??? Ok, reality has left this conversation and we're left with make believe.

Set up your vehicle with zero chassis clap with the stiffest springs and shocks in the world and see how that works out for you. These things have like 3-4" travel at most? Do you seriously think that the engineers developed them to never bottom out? Get real.

The 3s line excels at high speed over rough terrain? Post an unedited video that doesn't have your 3s bouncing and flipping over constantly. You think the 3s line can compete with the 6s or 8s line in this regard?

I do have just about the stiffest shock setup that fits a Granite. Tekno SCT410 emulsion shocks, Mojave (ARA330639) and Kraton (AR330507) springs, Arrma 1.2, 1.3 pistons, 80wt shock oil. It's worked out great. I never said it doesn't chassis slap. But it doesn't chassis slap nearly as hard so I land jumps consistently instead of bouncing upside down (like I did with lighter setups). You can't jump like this with such minimal bounce without a stiff setup.

Last edited:
Yeah, sure, a truck purposefully set up to launch 20 feet in the air is not going to also drive fast over rough terrain but your statement was that the entire 3s line was not capable of going fast over rough terrain. You made the claim, why would I have to prove anything?

I have a Senton 3s which is set up very differently than yours and I believe it would go fast over rough terrain. I would not jump my Senton off of a launch ramp like you did because my car is not set up for that. If I wanted to, could I set it up to do it? Yes.

Here's my proof. Even Duperdash and RC Dude 81 flip over like crazy when they drive their 3s vehicles at high speed. This is not even that rough. It's relatively flat off-road. 6s and 8s rigs won't flip and tumble like this.

Last edited:
I don't think this video proves your point but I want to move on, so let's just agree to disagree

Thanks for all the info guys. Fun discussion. So basically, every car is made to drive differently and you tune your shocks depending on what you want to do and what your driving habits are.

And it seems like the Typhon 3S with 40wt oil and stock springs will definitely slap when dropped.

This seems like a great resource:
https://www.competitionx.com/rc-tuning-shocks/

Shock Pistons:
The Piston is usually a round disc (with holes in it) attached to the Shock Shaft. Pistons can have 1, 2, 3 or more holes. The Oil travels though the holes during compression and rebound. The size or number of holes determines how fast the Oil travels through it. Larger holes (or more holes) allow Oil though quicker, making for responsive Shock damping. Smaller holes (or fewer holes) allow Oil though slower, resulting in sluggish Shock action. As a general rule, the smoother the track conditions, the smaller (or fewer) the Piston holes. The rougher or bumpier, the larger (or more) holes in the Piston.

Shock Oil:
Shock Oil determines the damping of your car. Heavy Oil will make your car seem sluggish. Lighter weight Oil will make your car seem more responsive. Oil is sold in small bottles from (usually) 10wt to 100wt. The higher the number, the heavier (or thicker) the Oil. As a general rule, lighter Oil is better for bumpy conditions, but allows more chassis roll. Heavier Oil is better for smooth tracks, but decreases responsiveness.

Shock Springs:
The purpose of the Springs is to keep the car level during acceleration, deceleration, and cornering. Springs come in many different Spring rates (or pound ratings) that are usually designated by their color. Generally, stiffer Springs make your car respond quicker and reduce chassis roll, but will not work well on bumpy tracks. Stiffer is better on smooth or high traction tracks. Softer Springs are better on slippery or bumpy tracks. You will normally run heavier Springs on the front than the rear.

Also:
https://www.competitionx.com/rc-tuning-guide/

Again, be careful. That's racing rig advice. If you want to reduce chassis slap in a basher, it's really not the right advice. It says larger piston holes, lighter oil, and lighter springs are better for bumpy conditions. That's true for going over bumps fast while staying on the ground. But many misinterpret such advice to think these measures will reduce chassis slap from a jump/drop. All those measures will increase chassis slap from a jump/drop.

Last edited:
Back