Showerthought: I wish Arrma bodies would come partially clear so we could choose our own color.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dulb_D

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
I was just thinking it would be cool if Arrma sold their cars with bodies where the primary color would be left clear so we could choose our own primary color for the vehicle and paint it ourselves. Just give us some sort of livery design but leave the more areas where the most prominent color would go clear. Stupid idea?

Great idea.(y) All for it. That's a new concept. The basic brands theme would be there already but a custom primary color of your choosing would still make it unique. But companies want us to buy more bodies...
I bet that most people would not want the burden to finish the paint off though. And some may feel the remaining clear areas would be ugly?:unsure: I wish the windows would be left clear. I like my clear windows. Not decals on them.(y) The time of labor of masking off windows are probably cost prohibitive, a production inefficiency that would increase the price point. My guess.

I bet that most people would not want the burden to finish the paint off though. And some may feel the remaining clear areas would be ugly?:unsure: I wish the windows would be left clear. I like my clear windows. Not decals on them.(y) The time of labor of masking off windows are probably cost prohibitive, a production inefficiency that would increase the price point. My guess.

Maybe but if you're buying a hobby grade RC. It would still be considered RTR at least. Not sure what the factory painting process is like so I guess whether or not it would be more or less an expense for them is not known to me. You'd at least think one of the RC parts companies out there that have something like this.

I don't really care for the factory graphics anyway. I would rather have a solid painted color with decals, and clear or black paint on the windows. I really hate the poop brown of my Outcast 4s, but I'm too cheap to buy another body and paint just to bash it up.

I don't really care for the factory graphics anyway. I would rather have a solid painted color with decals, and clear or black paint on the windows. I really hate the poop brown of my Outcast 4s, but I'm too cheap to buy another body and paint just to bash it up.

I 100% agree. In my mind they are way too busy. I'm planning out a Proline '72 Chevy long bed for my Kraton. Simple white and red with some small decals on the rocker panel.

I like the atock graphics but i would like to do my own patterns of the main colorz

Well thats something reallyc ool traxxas was doing. Maybe the pattented the thing i want to see othe rmanufactueurs do this and sell their own paints
All Traxxasss graphics are generally horrible aesthetically. IMO.

Wonder if Arrma could take even just some of their different models, and set them up with a clear stock body for people who like to paint their own stuff, and still offer the rest with painted bodies for peeps who don't care too!??

Wonder if Arrma could take even just some of their different models, and set them up with a clear stock body for people who like to paint their own stuff, and still offer the rest with painted bodies for peeps who don't care too!??
Sounds good. But I think they would actually lose money on that for several reasons. But its not a new concept to do that. Kits do this already. RTR's have to be Ready to run. I think most users of RTR's just want to drive. Down the road after the body is trashed, a new clear body can be had. Most RTR guys don't paint in my opinion. They usually replace with the OE prepainted bodies. Or pay someone else to do it. At least the newbs. They want to drive. Not paint. When I built kits years back, Painting was mandatory or you would have to pay someone. Prepainted bodies were rare. LHS, usually had bodies on hand that were painted in house for guys that just drive. I paint bodies no issue and I am not the best, I find it time consuming. Painting detailed bodies is a hobby by itself. Tools and materials have to be sourced. Many RTR guys just don't bother IMO. Down the road they may venture on to painting though, just not initially. It is an after thought for many when buying a new RTR. I know a fellow basher with numerous rigs from years past. Used to Race long a go. He simply wont paint. One example. He will wrench till the cows come home. He Just doesn't paint. He just paid big on a custom painted body from RC Motorsports. You may have heard of him. He paints and build RC's for all the big sport celebs across the country. He is from LI, NY. I would rather paint myself than spend $300. for someone else to do it.

Last edited:
Arrma is more of a basher's brand though so even though they're hobby grade and obviously people modify them they aren't really catering to the racers who'd be more into getting an unassembled roller with a clear body. Pro-Line should maybe try this though with some of their bodies.

Proline would charge you as a prepainted body. They offer some prepaints that are expensive. If they have to put any paint graphically, they will charge the same as a full prepaint. Better to get a clear body.

I was just thinking it would be cool if Arrma sold their cars with bodies where the primary color would be left clear so we could choose our own primary color for the vehicle and paint it ourselves. Just give us some sort of livery design but leave the more areas where the most prominent color would go clear. Stupid idea?

People change the colors all the time, it takes work but people do it all the time.. they wipe the factory paint out of it, then use thier own colors... there was a thread not to long ago that a member wrote up.. he painted his black.. I'm not sure if it was in the paint and body section or here on the 4x4 section.. I'm sure if you search you will find it.. it's been months so I can remember who or where it was...

I think it would be a great idea, nothing stupid about it, like said above Traxxas has offered their prographix bodies forever.

Prographix erevo with metallic blue backer

Attachments

• FE95DCD3-0932-4B28-83B3-1B942B6C62E7.jpeg
    FE95DCD3-0932-4B28-83B3-1B942B6C62E7.jpeg
    416.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 461CB31F-1D48-4B25-87A9-1252294F8BA8.jpeg
    461CB31F-1D48-4B25-87A9-1252294F8BA8.jpeg
    408.5 KB · Views: 40
Give it a few weeks they’ll sue proline for making unpainted bodies. Jokes aside, I actually really like the way some of their bodies look.. in my opinion arrmas vehicles (aside from the noto, outcast, and infraction) are too cartoonish for my tastes. But that’s all subjective.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back