Talion Shredded ring gears all the time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigtim29

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
No matter what, my from and rear ring gears keep stripping and shredding. There is no more room for external shims on the diffs. I just bought shims for my input gear so they now have little to no play. Could an input gear without shins be the cause of my stripped ring gears? Running ear plugs in center diff because my 500k fluid always leaked out of my center diff through the out drive and bearing opposite of the spur gear.

Forgot to mention, I now have new ring and input gears .

Here is the part number for my input gear shim

KYO96773​

Part number for external diff shim

TKR1222​

Was able to fit two input shims up front and 3 in the rear.

Put 4 tekno shims up front on ring gear side and 2 of the stock external shims in the rear, can’t fit anything else.

Are the diffs shimmed the same way now to previously when you were stripping teeth on the ring gear? Or have you not run the car with the way you have it shimmed ATM?

Using ear plugs in the centre diff could be locking it up too much and may not allow it to bleed the load from one diff to the other... my first priority would be to change this back to using oils, whilst either replacing the o-rings or even the entire centre diff if you're worried it'll leak again. Ear plugs aren't ideal for bashing IMO

I would also change both diff cases and check/change all of these bearings, just in case there's hairline cracks or tolerances in the ones you have (you could keep the old ones as spares if it turns out there's nothing wrong with them). Also, when fitting the input cup on the pinion shaft, make sure you squeeze them together lightly so there's no slop at the pinion gear. Not too hard though, or the bearings will bind a little and they'll wear out quickly

And that's quite a lot of shims you've managed to fit ? you could be over shimming it. When putting it all together again, leave the centre diff out and make sure there's no binding at the F&R when you roll it. I take the bulkheads off and rock the spur gear from underneath to check the mesh

P.s. I now avoid using the same Kyosho shims you listed behind the input gear, because whenever I fitted them, they used to shred and cause the pinion to become sloppy, which in turn began ruining the gears

Also, just to make sure, you're using the spiral cut ring and pinion gears, right? You're not accidently mix and matching straight cut with spiral cut?

Are the diffs shimmed the same way now to previously when you were stripping teeth on the ring gear? Or have you not run the car with the way you have it shimmed ATM?
Have not ran it yet.
Using ear plugs in the centre diff could be locking it up too much and may not allow it to bleed the load from one diff to the other... my first priority would be to change this back to using oils, whilst either replacing the o-rings or even the entire centre diff if you're worried it'll leak again. Ear plugs aren't ideal for bashing IMO

I would also change both diff cases and check/change all of these bearings, just in case there's hairline cracks or tolerances in the ones you have (you could keep the old ones as spares if it turns out there's nothing wrong with them). Also, when fitting the input cup on the pinion shaft, make sure you squeeze them together lightly so there's no slop at the pinion gear. Not too hard though, or the bearings will bind a little and they'll wear out quickly

And that's quite a lot of shims you've managed to fit ? you could be over shimming it. When putting it all together again, leave the centre diff out and make sure there's no binding at the F&R when you roll it. I take the bulkheads off and rock the spur gear from underneath to check the mesh

P.s. I now avoid using the same Kyosho shims you listed behind the input gear, because whenever I fitted them, they used to shred and cause the pinion to become sloppy, which in turn began ruining the gears

Also, just to make sure, you're using the spiral cut ring and pinion gears, right? You're not accidently mix and matching straight cut with spiral cut?
So my center diff was always leaking, even if I changed the o rings. I am using the arrma red aluminum center diff and no matter what it’ll leak through the side opposite of the spur gear. I thought the same thing that there was a lot of shims but there was that much play. Even when pushing the out drive and input gear together as much as I could there was a lot of play. Bearings are all good, they’re fast eddy rubber sealed and all run smooth, I’ve got red n tacky in them. The mesh seems perfect so far in both front and rear. Also both input and ring gears are spiral cut.

Last edited:
Even when pushing the out drive and input gear together as much as I could there was a lot of play.
This bit here is the main concern IMO. There should only be little to no play here. If shimming it negates this play then great ? but I'd advise to keep an eye on those input gear shims again because they chewed up every time I fit them

If I was to ever shim the input gear again, I would try and find 19mm outer diameter shims behind the bearing instead

Use silicone lube, and or silcone white grease, red an tacky some guy used because he was to cheep to even leave the house to buy whats recommended for rc,then reported it on the forum ,careful where you get info from.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back