Silicone ear plugs got my Outcast WOKE!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crewchief227

Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
So at my local big box store I came across these
Speedo Silicone Ear Plugs, White, One Size https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F6FPCM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_8fEnDbNE5WJS7
I had heard of others saying it's close to the 20M weight trx fluid, but actually comparing to my Revo with 20M I would put it more in the 10M weight range. Half an ear plug is all it takes. I pushed down some in my cup with the planetary gears removed. After packing it down in order to get the cross pin blocks to fully seat I had to scrape the valleys of my sun gear, then seat the cross pins. Pack a tiny bit over the cross pins leaving plenty of room for the other output. Tighten down almost all the way, turn the drive cups a bit, tighten some more, and bam, almost feels like a locked diff, but just that little bit of give. I have two packs thru her (smooth as butter), gonna wait till I have 5 packs, then teardown and inspect how it's holding up. One 4 pack of plugs will last quite awhile I'm guessing, it's the equivalent to two containers of the trx stuff. I'll keep you guys updated. ??

So at my local big box store I came across these
Speedo Silicone Ear Plugs, White, One Size https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F6FPCM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_8fEnDbNE5WJS7
I had heard of others saying it's close to the 20M weight trx fluid, but actually comparing to my Revo with 20M I would put it more in the 10M weight range. Half an ear plug is all it takes. I pushed down some in my cup with the planetary gears removed. After packing it down in order to get the cross pin blocks to fully seat I had to scrape the valleys of my sun gear, then seat the cross pins. Pack a tiny bit over the cross pins leaving plenty of room for the other output. Tighten down almost all the way, turn the drive cups a bit, tighten some more, and bam, almost feels like a locked diff, but just that little bit of give. I have two packs thru her (smooth as butter), gonna wait till I have 5 packs, then teardown and inspect how it's holding up. One 4 pack of plugs will last quite awhile I'm guessing, it's the equivalent to two containers of the trx stuff. I'll keep you guys updated. ??
I have a center dif prepped and ready with 1M and haven't tried it yet. Now that you've already tried the silicone plugs mod, I might just set up my other 500k with them at the next service. ???

I packed my center diff with plugs - it is not fully locked - and now I am breaking front diff after few minutes.. Third diff now.. Could this be my problem? I tried this method to avoid front tires ballooning but it is just problems for me now.. You guys don't have problems with front diff after this mod?

I packed my center diff with plugs - it is not fully locked - and now I am breaking front diff after few minutes.. Third diff now.. Could this be my problem? I tried this method to avoid front tires ballooning but it is just problems for me now.. You guys don't have problems with front diff after this mod?
No, I have 100K in my front, 30K in the rear, no problems so far.
In the center diff?
Yeah center

I put 20m traxxas silicone in my sons notorious. I didn’t empty all the old stuff out. So I’m thinking it’s at like 10m. Works great so far. Stock bearings are starting to fail in it. I am thinking I will tear it apart and just change em all, I bought the fast eddy set.

Going up on diff fliud is putting more stress on the drivetrain for sure. Locking the center will multiply the load on the front/rear diffs by 2x compared to open diff. if you lock the front or rear ones as well, the load from the diff to the wheel will be again 2x, resulting in 4x the load.

Those are the extremes (completely open vs locked)

I put 20m traxxas silicone in my sons notorious. I didn’t empty all the old stuff out. So I’m thinking it’s at like 10m. Works great so far. Stock bearings are starting to fail in it. I am thinking I will tear it apart and just change em all, I bought the fast eddy set.
That's my next upgrade, bearings, servo mount, and braces. Probably GKA for the latter two.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back