simple charger answer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mud Creek RC

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Granite
Nothing simple about finding a good and reliable charger I know but can anyone make a recommendation that is simple for a new guy? I read through the charger thread here and it is mind boggling all the options - just looking for a solid reliable charger for Lipo and NimH - looking for one with storage mode, and good for 2 and 3s (maybe 4s someday) - nothing too fancy but a solid and safe charger...any help appreciated!! thanks

Nothing simple about finding a good and reliable charger I know but can anyone make a recommendation that is simple for a new guy? I read through the charger thread here and it is mind boggling all the options - just looking for a solid reliable charger for Lipo and NimH - looking for one with storage mode, and good for 2 and 3s (maybe 4s someday) - nothing too fancy but a solid and safe charger...any help appreciated!! thanks
I use a prodigy66. Works great!
15712872650399092512359078610616.jpg
duel battery charger. Doe's everything! About 120.00 if I remember.

Makes sense to get something that can charge a 6S 5000mah pack at 1C to try and future proof yourself a bit. That would require 111 watts. Getting something that does 8A and 150W would cover you for 6S @1C up to 6500mah.

If you want AC and DC, the skyrc 2x200w is a strong charger. With that, you could parallel charge 4 decent 3S or 4S packs at 1C, but also handle a couple decent sized 6S packs if you end up there.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/skyrc-u...-charger-discharger-power-supply-us-plug.html

This would do ok if you really don't think you will ever go with 6S:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-reaktor-120-duo-2x120w-balance-charger-ac-dc-us-plug.html

I run dual 3S in my 6S trucks, so whenever I look at chargers, I usually look at ones with 2 outputs. I have the dynamite 4x100w and hitec d7. When I started, I ran 2x2S, so the 4x100 worked well, but now that I'm running 6S (2x3S), it's still fine for 1C charging. I bought cables and whatnot for the D7 so I can charge 4 3S packs at the same time on it and have 8 packs total charging at once.

Your right though... it's mind numbing with all the choices you have and not knowing where you will end up. I tend to nudge people into more than what they need right now so they don't end up needing more later like I did.

Makes sense to get something that can charge a 6S 5000mah pack at 1C to try and future proof yourself a bit. That would require 111 watts. Getting something that does 8A and 150W would cover you for 6S @1C up to 6500mah.

If you want AC and DC, the skyrc 2x200w is a strong charger. With that, you could parallel charge 4 decent 3S or 4S packs at 1C, but also handle a couple decent sized 6S packs if you end up there.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/skyrc-u...-charger-discharger-power-supply-us-plug.html

This would do ok if you really don't think you will ever go with 6S:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-reaktor-120-duo-2x120w-balance-charger-ac-dc-us-plug.html

I run dual 3S in my 6S trucks, so whenever I look at chargers, I usually look at ones with 2 outputs. I have the dynamite 4x100w and hitec d7. When I started, I ran 2x2S, so the 4x100 worked well, but now that I'm running 6S (2x3S), it's still fine for 1C charging. I bought cables and whatnot for the D7 so I can charge 4 3S packs at the same time on it and have 8 packs total charging at once.

Your right though... it's mind numbing with all the choices you have and not knowing where you will end up. I tend to nudge people into more than what they need right now so they don't end up needing more later like I did.

These are both good options. ^

@olds97_lss I haven't found any sort of solution that I don't have to buy a 2s, 3s and 6s parallel balance lead. Trying to find an AIO solution. I'm sure I could just ditch the power cables and just use the balance leads on one of these. https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Para...N41ZA0ZNY2P&psc=1&refRID=P2G2ZEP2NN41ZA0ZNY2P

-edit- actually I could one of those.

To answer the op's question: we have all gone through this and i fully understand your question.
There are so many chargers and 80% (estimate) is rebranded.
So 8 out of 10 chargers have the same electronics.
You already mentioned what you need, that's the best way to start. Some questions:

- Do you want to charge 1 or 2 lipo's at the same time?
- What's the capacity of you lipo's (in mAh)?
- Do you want an AC or DC charger? (AC has an internal power supply, DC needs an external psu)
- Do you have a budget?

Yeah guys, read that very long thread here on chargers and other research. Made me want to pull my hair out trying to decide. Was tired of upgrading chargers every couple years and decided on the Hota. No regrets so far. ?

To answer the op's question: we have all gone through this and i fully understand your question.
There are so many chargers and 80% (estimate) is rebranded.
So 8 out of 10 chargers have the same electronics.
You already mentioned what you need, that's the best way to start. Some questions:

- Do you want to charge 1 or 2 lipo's at the same time?
- What's the capacity of you lipo's (in mAh)?
- Do you want an AC or DC charger? (AC has an internal power supply, DC needs an external psu)
- Do you have a budget?
Thanks - like to charge 2 at a time, AC and DC, probably stick to around 5000mah, budget is under 200 but flexible as long as I get something solid and safe.

That HOTA D6+ looks like a beast! Sounds like a nice charger.

Holy cow this guy right here. Made me feel very inadequate. Lol. Anyone with know how want to build that for me?
He's very bright. All of his videos are informative but I can only watch in small amounts. Thin line between confidant and cocky.

Thanks - like to charge 2 at a time, AC and DC, probably stick to around 5000mah, budget is under 200 but flexible as long as I get something solid and safe.
I think the mentioned Hota D6+ is a good choice for you, i have 2 of them (DC versions with psu's) and they charge very well.
It has a very high balance current, makes charging faster, and more than enough power on AC (300W) to charge 2 3s 5000mAh lipo's.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back