Simple solution for preventing battery tray deployment (6s)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbobjr

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Mojave EXB
  4. Outcast 6s
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
I know many of you have had the battery tray break loose and once it happens the battery tray is pretty much useless. Sometimes it is such a violent event it rips wires out and breaks the receiver box as well. Drilling out the two center holes and putting in t nuts seemed like a solution. Try finding 3 mm t nuts was just the Internet away. Www.boltdepot.com to the rescue. 3 days later here we are.

Remove or just get your tray loose by taking out the screws. Drill the two center holes out with a 11/64” or #18 drill (18 would be better).

Put the Tray back in place and tighten the other screws.

Put the t nuts in place and use a long 3 mm screw to seat the barbs into the plastic.

Replace those with proper length 3mm screws that get plenty of thread into the nut but don’t stick up past the nuts.

Get some gorilla tape and put two squares over the nuts.

Cut a piece of padding, cardboard, plastic anything to cover up the nuts and insulate them from your batteries. Piece of plastic the thickness of the t part with two 9/16” holes in it would be perfect. I just used some drawer liner for mine and a couple dabs of hot glue.

I’ll beat the crap out of my Kraton and let you know how this works out. Seems solid and you can really tighten those two screws down good.
3171D271-2D56-4BDC-B5FB-B69CD8A29585.jpeg
BAFF2246-CDDF-4A72-9658-78F90C53F942.jpeg
1DFB955D-AD70-495B-88B6-068BE15CFE58.jpeg
3CD6B205-4E34-4BE3-8AFD-CA27AFF42306.jpeg
6839D4E7-8BF7-4AD1-8656-5F2D10EC3FA6.jpeg
D49B0826-ACA2-465F-9626-0CA06F185D9C.jpeg
14A9909C-506C-40E1-B32E-377777482102.jpeg

Last edited:
That's a pretty creative solution to a common issue. Just have to make sure and pad the LIPO tray well of course or you will get a flaming lipo real fast. Nice job.

That's a pretty creative solution to a common issue. Just have to make sure and pad the LIPO tray well of course or you will get a flaming lipo real fast. Nice job.

I think a piece of kydex with two holes in it would do it. The thickness is maybe .04” I have to measure it. Really not an issue if it is covered.I use hardcases so even less, I might just stick with the pad.

I know many of you have had the battery tray break loose and once it happens the battery tray is pretty much useless. Sometimes it is such a violent event it rips wires out and breaks the receiver box as well. Drilling out the two center holes and putting in t nuts seemed like a solution. Try finding 3 mm t nuts was just the Internet away. Www.boltdepot.com to the rescue. 3 days later here we are.

Remove or just get your tray loose by taking out the screws. Drill the two center holes out with a 11/64” or #18 drill (18 would be better).

Put the Tray back in place and tighten the other screws.

Put the t nuts in place and use a long 3 mm screw to seat the barbs into the plastic.

Replace those with proper length 3mm screws that get plenty of thread into the nut but don’t stick up past the nuts.

Get some gorilla tape and put two squares over the nuts.

Cut a piece of padding, cardboard, plastic anything to cover up the nuts and insulate them from your batteries. Piece of plastic the thickness of the t part with two 9/16” holes in it would be perfect. I just used some drawer liner for mine and a couple dabs of hot glue.

I’ll beat the crap out of my Kraton and let you know how this works out. Seems solid and you can really tighten those two screws down good.View attachment 46463View attachment 46464View attachment 46465View attachment 46466View attachment 46467View attachment 46468View attachment 46469
I like that a lot. I just ordered the nuts. Thanks for proving the info ?

This is why I love this forum. Someone always has a creative solution to just about any problem. I'm running to the hardware store later. Thank you.
Hardware store might not have that size just as a heads up.

Been running this mod in the Kraton since I first posted. No issues with the pad or the flat part of the nuts sticking up a bit. If I was running softcase lipos and getting some big air I would double up the pad. First layer with holes to make up the difference and second layer without them.
I could not find that size t nut at Home Depot or Lowe’s here in the US. Maybe a store with more hardware may have them. I imagine in other parts of the world where metric hardware is more common they’d be easy to find. The place I linked to got them out to me quickly. Shipping was a little high but not outrageous.

Maybe Menards would have them. They have far more selection than the other big box stores.

Nice! Pretty sure I have a few stripped in my battery box now after swapping out the chassis. I think I'd rather do this than bother getting a new battery box. Could also fix a few of the stripped ones on the chassis skirts.

Amazon is dangerous... so quick and easy to throw $10 away. lol!

I now have 100 of them coming to me. I think I have a few other things I could use these for.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back