Skid plate issue solved for street/ skate park runners

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoNoHarm

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s

Screws are very far countersunk in so it’ll have awhile to wear until it gets to the heads... I’m pretty sure this will last forever. Made of solid steel.. not stainless... solid.

I used an old tow hitch

Will last quite a while for sure. I do the same, but I don't use that thick of stuff. Anything hanging below the chassis lessens ride height so the shocks don't absorb as much.

If I were you, I'd bevel the leading edge so it doesn't snag on rocks and stuff, which could snap the heads off your screws. Then at least it has a fighting chance to glide over stuff.

Are you going to bevel down the outside edges? That seems fairly thick, and likely to catch on the edges. If it does, the ensuing damage could be much more devastating, ie: tearing out the screws from whatever they are attached to.

Edit: I was typing while @olds97_lss had made his post. (y)

All mounted up

You can really see how worn out the rear of my chassis is... down to about 1.2-1.3mm

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 72
Are you going to bevel down the outside edges? That seems fairly thick, and likely to catch on the edges. If it does, the ensuing damage could be much more devastating, ie: tearing out the screws from whatever they are attached to.

Edit: I was typing while @olds97_lss had made his post. (y)
Yeah I guess I’ll polish the edges up, and probably grind it down a little.Still waiting on my tires so I got time to spare. I’ll get to that on Monday.

You would think so, but I'm on my second one since July on the rear of my outcast.
2018-0816-Outcast-SkidPlateWear04.jpg

I make mine out of 1/8" plate steel.

Yours will last a very long time though.
Ah yeah that ones pretty worn down. I’ll keep mine thick.

What can I say I tend to do things as stupidly as possible.
I had issues with cracking engine blocks in my jato for years. I got fed up with it eventually, then built a little dam around the engine mount, put in about 1/4" of mixed jb-weld, coated the bottom of the engine with grease, then mounted the engine and let it cure. I also put a heavy oil on the chassis where the engine bay was under the JBweld pool. When it cured, I had a form fitted engine cradle. Never broke another crank case again. Also, the grease/oil allowed me to get the engine out and slide the engine mount around to adjust mesh as it didn't stick to either, but form fitted to both really well.

I used to air out my jato a lot when it was nitro. The traxxas crank cases couldn't handle the chassis slapping the ground liek a 1/8th buggy. I went through 4 crank cases before coming up with this. Ran it for many years after and never had the issue again.

If it works, it works!

I just ordered the M2c skid plates along with their chassis yesterday.

Will be installing them and some Tekno parts this week. (shock ends/balls, and pinion.)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back