Sky R/C PRO X-8 "TORO" 2350kv Sensored W/ BLX185 SC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Kid

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Recently did a upgrade ... or lets say a swap to see if improvements could be found over the OEM 2050 kv motor when running on 3s power.We're using single gensacearespammers 3S 50c 5000 LiPo in the 2017 ( gen 2 ) TYPHON with the the stock BLX 185 controller. The new motor is sensored but just taped over the plug jack to keep out the dirt & running it un-sensored.

Got to do 3 packs worth of fun racing today and really got a handle on this inexpensive @ $50.00 @ 42/68 can 1/8 scale specific motor.As many of you know running single 3S is sort of odd but does work really well on a dirt track/non-bash application.

The OEM 2050kv on 3S with a 15T is quite fast on a short course dirt track, torque is more than ample ( too much really ) and top speed you have on tap you really don't have the room for either unless you can get the speed early in the distance to be covered.Issue I was having with stock motor was too much wheel spin ( all 4's ... heavy center diff lube ) which had you really feathering on the power and then hooking up too late unable to really get the buggy moving fast before the next corner etc ... Punch settings help, but was not the cure IMO. Gearing up created too much heat and much shorter run times.

So ... figured a raise in motor KV and a tad smaller gear would have a two fold effect on power delivery to tires. With LESS torque from motor the power delivery should be less aggressive but rush to higher rpm better resulting in a faster ET corner to corner.Remember were on 3S here and operating on less volts, so doing the low KV motor on tall gearing is NOT happening here.

What we found out was ... Friggen fast !! set up with a14T ( where we had a 15 on factory 2050kv ) the control of putting the power to the dirt was much improved and buggy actually accelerated quicker with less wheel spin and had a higher top end speed corner to corner.
With over a 15 minuet HARD ! run time the motor was just warm being @110*f on a 60*f day

So for those who run on 3s or 4s you may want to look into raising the KV some on your motor if you want to get a better voltage / output balance on your buggy. IMO the factory choosing a 2050kv as a stocker was for 4-6S bashing. If your fun Running / Racing on lessor cells the 2050kv is kinda conservative.

JMO tho & your mileage may differ ...

Scott

DSCF0638.JPG

I have a HobbyKing/Trackstar 4268 2350kv sensored in my Typhon (14t pinion). I normally run it on 4s, but have run it on 3s too. Great motor, loads of power. On 3s it is very manageable, but still fast. Now that I am building a Tekno SCT410, I am considering moving this motor over to the Tekno, and running it 3s full time. My Tekno cam with a Tekin Pro4 4600kv 3650 motor. I am looking forward to comparing the Pro4 on 2s to the Trackstar on 3s.

Running the TORO 2350 now for 5 seasons !!! Still runs fantastic too.
Took apart and cleaned @ 2 seasons ago and lubed bearings.
Been a great low budget motor. My Sons similar G3 Typhon with full TEKIN running gear does not run as well per "both of us" with equal gearing and 3s battery.

* Still on OEM speed controller running motor Non Sensored .... again Zero issues.

Back