SKYRC gps speedometer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3x9rtse

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Mojave
  3. Notorious
  4. Senton 6s
  5. Talion
Got the SKYRC so I can see how fast my rc's are , watched Rc guy garage as he did a comparison to a Garmin and while driving in his wifes car . The Garmin was pretty much spot on where the SKYRC was 1 to 1 1/2 mph short . Took mine in my vehicle locked on cruise control at 50 and my SKYRC was saying 48 ,,, 49 . Any of you have this and see the same thing ? No big deal as 1 to 1 1/2 mph is not that far off and for the price you can't beat it .

Got the SKYRC so I can see how fast my rc's are , watched Rc guy garage as he did a comparison to a Garmin and while driving in his wifes car . The Garmin was pretty much spot on where the SKYRC was 1 to 1 1/2 mph short . Took mine in my vehicle locked on cruise control at 50 and my SKYRC was saying 48 ,,, 49 . Any of you have this and see the same thing ? No big deal as 1 to 1 1/2 mph is not that far off and for the price you can't beat it .
Which SkyRC did you get? There are three that I know of. The GSM-020 is the newest and most accurate.

I would be careful with the expectation that a automobile speedometer is more accurate than any GPS. I have never had a car speedometer that agrees with any GPS. They are always showing a few miles an hour fast. I have heard that by law, a automobile speedometer is required to be plus or minus 10% of actual speed. Most car manufacturers will have the speedometer set to show a faster speed, so that the odometer will gain miles a little bit quicker, so the warranty will run out a little bit sooner. Seems like Ford actually lost a class action lawsuit over this several years back.

Last edited:
I use the GSM-015 as well. It might not be the best, but it's definitely above average. Looking at my logged max rpm during a run, the skyrc is always within 2% of what my gearing*rpm says it did.

I ran my SKYRC gsm020 in my car yesterday and it said I was going 59.7MPH when my speedometer said 60. I did it again this am with the same results at varying speeds. I'm very satisfied with it.

Bout mine 2 weeks ago.same thing.about 2mph under.guess my PB is 77mph...lol been throu 2 HARD crashs an still working thou

15994056472764308801856539006717.jpg

I use the GSM-015 as well. It might not be the best, but it's definitely above average. Looking at my logged max rpm during a run, the skyrc is always within 2% of what my gearing*rpm says it did.
GSM-015 is routinely 2-3mph slower than my GSM-020 running on the same exact pass. Everyone is now using the GSM-020 exclusively. Garmins and 015’s are considered too slow to register peak speeds.

GSM-015 needs to be at peak speed for ~ 5s for it to register, that's what I have found. Otherwise it will always be 1-2 mph off.
You can go into the log and that peak speed is typically higher by that amount.

I only used it in my gsm-010 and after a while it just stopped working.

Did you really start a recording session by pressing enter after you switch it to peak speed?

yeh man i’ve done at least 3-4 recordings, and can’t download the data??
when i plug it into my mac, it’s not even showing up but it’s charging so i know it’s connected ?

I have had the GSM020 for a few weeks now, and today, it has stopped logging data!

I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it, but it has made no difference. I press start, let the car bash about for 5 minutes, press stop, then read. It shows the data at that point in time, but if I go to records, it’s empty – nothing gets logged.

I've cleared all caches to no avail.

I read an Android app review from someone else who also had the same issue, so it makes me wonder if it's down to the device itself?!

I've contacted SkyRC, but they either don't have a way of reading emails, or they just ignore them. I'm left with cube of plastic now, as without the logging, it's less useful than a paperweight.

Not happy!

It’s not the GPS, it’s the Android app and/or your phone. The GPS doesn’t have memory. All data is logged on your mobile device. Is your storage full on your device? Don’t blame the GPS.

It’s not the GPS, it’s the Android app and/or your phone. The GPS doesn’t have memory. All data is logged on your mobile device. Is your storage full on your device? Don’t blame the GPS.

The GPS has 1MB of flash memory in it to store the logged data. The app downloads the data from the GPS.

And no, storage isn't full. As I said in my last post, all caches were cleared. In any case, when the GPS is full, the oldest record is overwritten by the latest one.

SkyRC finally replied to an email... ?

Hi Friend,

Your GPS maybe broken, please kindly contact your seller for warranty.

Best Regards
Phoebe Sun

Customer service at it's finest?! ?‍♂️

I can safely say, I won't be purchasing another SkyRC product with customer service like that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back