SkyRC GSM020 tracker - baffled.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doom!

Team Dust Devil
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Gorgon
  2. Granite Grom
  3. Mojave
  4. Typhon 6s
Ok, tried it out yesterday, everything seems to be working, but it's not saving the data or I'm doing something wrong. I even took it out in my 1/1 car, as I was driving I could see it was tracking my speed accurately, but when I stop. And try to access the data there is nothing. :unsure: At this point l am convinced l must be doing something wrong or not doing something I am supposed to.

I am using an android phone, I had good satellite connection, bluetooth and power. Any thoughts or words of wisdom?

Sorry I have no experience with this but in all the videos I'm seeing people hitting STOP on their phone app and then READ which then displays the data. Not sure if this is at all helpful but what I see in all the vids using this.

Thanks, that is what I have been doing, in fact I have tried just about every sequence possible.
I come up with this.

PSX_20201115_090944.jpg

Ok, tried it out yesterday, everything seems to be working, but it's not saving the data or I'm doing something wrong. I even took it out in my 1/1 car, as I was driving I could see it was tracking my speed accurately, but when I stop. And try to access the data there is nothing. :unsure: At this point l am convinced l must be doing something wrong or not doing something I am supposed to.

I am using an android phone, I had good satellite connection, bluetooth and power. Any thoughts or words of wisdom?
Make sure you have location and bluetooth turned on on the phone. Before you run, keep the phone close to the gps and select track on the home screen. Then hit start. Now take a run, return the car near the phone, then hit stop on the home screen. Your top speed should show now and will be recorded in the records section, which you can access through the settings button on the top right of the screen.

Something with Androids as this is the third account of this issue. Never heard anyone with an iOS device have any issues.

Didn't want to start a new thread, my SkyRC GPS GSM 020 battery puffed and popped the back off. I just took it to the alley and destroyed the battery. Anybody know a replacement for the battery? I emailed SKYRC already.

Didn't want to start a new thread, my SkyRC GPS GSM 020 battery puffed and popped the back off. I just took it to the alley and destroyed the battery. Anybody know a replacement for the battery? I emailed SKYRC already.
I saw a video of someone removing the battery and adding a connector to run an external battery. Will look to see if I can find it for you.

Edit - Found it

I remember finding the batteries on eBay when I thought mine was a goner. (ejected from gps) but I found it managed to put it back together. Can’t quite remember but I was using the size/number on the battery to look them up online. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I saw a video of someone removing the battery and adding a connector to run an external battery. Will look to see if I can find it for you.

If replacing the internal battery isn't possible, it would be better, smarter, AND safer, to just but a new GNSS GPS unit. Powering one with an external battery, inside a vehicle traveling at a high speed, is VERY unsafe.

Edit - Found it

Something to be mindful of (if you're going to run an external battery) is that it has the same voltage as the stock battery as it affects the speed it registers. Don't ask me why that is but Jason Flores did some testing to demonstrate the phenomenon on his Youtube channel.

Sorry I have no experience with this but in all the videos I'm seeing people hitting STOP on their phone app and then READ which then displays the data. Not sure if this is at all helpful but what I see in all the vids using this.
Have you checked the "Records". What app are you using?
The only currently supported SkyRC App for this Performance Analyzer now is 'RC Gears" .
I also use Android.

Have you checked the "Records". What app are you using?
The only currently supported SkyRC App for this Performance Analyzer now is 'RC Gears" .
I also use Android.
FWIW, that post is two years old. :)

I'd say there's a very good possibility...I would even say 'probability'...that it would work.

1) The GSM-010, GSM-015, & GSM-020 ALL use a 3.7V LiPo.
2) As the GSM-010 & GSM-015 use the same LiPo, it's a (very?) safe bet the GSM-020 uses the same one, as well.

As I have 2 GSM-020s...one working, one not (don't ask how I "killed" it...lol)...I'm going to order one of those LiPos, and see if it "resurrects" the dead unit.

I'd say there's a very good possibility...I would even say 'probability'...that it would work.

1) The GSM-010, GSM-015, & GSM-020 ALL use a 3.7V LiPo.
2) As the GSM-010 & GSM-015 use the same LiPo, it's a (very?) safe bet the GSM-020 uses the same one, as well.

As I have 2 GSM-020s...one working, one not (don't ask how I "killed" it...lol)...I'm going to order one of those LiPos, and see if it "resurrects" the dead unit.
I know it's not really a lot of money, but couldn't you just pull the battery from your functioning one to "try before you buy"?

On an unrelated topic, where abouts in the Bay Area are you from? I used to live in Walnut Creek in another life. If you'd rather not say, I understand.

I know it's not really a lot of money, but couldn't you just pull the battery from your functioning one to "try before you buy"?

On an unrelated topic, where abouts in the Bay Area are you from? I used to live in Walnut Creek in another life. If you'd rather not say, I understand.
Regarding the "pulling & testing", why didn't I think of that? DUH...lol. As for 'where, I live in the South Bay...but, as a Professional Chauffeur, I can be "anywhere" in the Bay Area (or Northern CA, for that matter). As chance has it, I was driving for a wedding in Walnut Creek three nights ago

Regarding the "pulling & testing", why didn't I think of that? DUH...lol. As for 'where, I live in the South Bay...but, as a Professional Chauffeur, I can be "anywhere" in the Bay Area (or Northern CA, for that matter). As chance has it, I was driving for a wedding in Walnut Creek three nights ago
I think we all sometimes miss the forest for all the trees :)

Nice. I lived there in the mid to late 80s in my youth.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back