SkyRC GSM020 tracker - baffled.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we all sometimes miss the forest for all the trees :)

Nice. I lived there in the mid to late 80s in my youth.
As I'm prone to saying, "I can walk into a room, and instantly spot (and then fix) the one crooked picture on a wall...but, the thing right in front of my face, I don't even notice."

San Franciscan, born & raised. Started 'trickling' southward in 1981 (early/mid 80s were my high school years). Very soon, I'll be 'leaping' southwest...by approx 500 miles. Viva Las Vegas.

As I'm prone to saying, "I can walk into a room, and instantly spot (and then fix) the one crooked picture on a wall...but, the thing right in front of my face, I don't even notice."

San Franciscan, born & raised. Started 'trickling' southward in 1981 (early/mid 80s were my high school years). Very soon, I'll be 'leaping' southwest...by approx 500 miles. Viva Las Vegas.
I feel ya there :LOL:

Right on. Well Godspeed on your move. I hope everything goes without incident (I know it rarely does but...one can hope, right?)

I'd say there's a very good possibility...I would even say 'probability'...that it would work.

1) The GSM-010, GSM-015, & GSM-020 ALL use a 3.7V LiPo.
2) As the GSM-010 & GSM-015 use the same LiPo, it's a (very?) safe bet the GSM-020 uses the same one, as well.

As I have 2 GSM-020s...one working, one not (don't ask how I "killed" it...lol)...I'm going to order one of those LiPos, and see if it "resurrects" the dead unit.
I find that my 020 lipo must suck. Since new, no matter what. I can fully charge it. Then when I get out there, it is down to 59%. I always make sure it is shut off. These are such cheap garbage unfortunately. They get much coin for them. Always marked up higher as well. Prices are all over the place. The Sky RC and HobbyXXX or whatever knock offs the same. Even my numerous 015's had lipo issues out the package.
The 015, at least you could hardwire it to the rig if you wanted to with a Futaba/Rx plug.
The 020 you can't.
I've seen the 020 for as little as $65 and as high as $110. I think MSRP is like $80. ??
The 015's same prices as the 020 still to this day.
015 is not even close in accuracy to the 020.
I found that if I analyze my speed on my 015 with my PC, it is always different than the readout I got on the screen. (+/- 5mph)
The 015 PC Software sucks. Most just read off of the display's "Peak Speed" on the screen.
020 rules. But still needs a revamp if you ask me. SkyRC has a lock on this RC technology.

Last edited:
I find that my 020 lipo must suck. Since new, no matter what. I can fully charge it. Then when I get out there, it is down to 59%. I always make sure it is shut off. These are such cheap garbage unfortunately. They get much coin for them. Always marked up higher as well. Prices are all over the place. The Sky RC and HobbyXXX or whatever knock offs the same. Even my numerous 015's had lipo issues out the package.
The 015, at least you could hardwire it to the rig if you wanted to with a Futaba/Rx plug.
The 020 you can't.
It seems that, even when turned off, the electronics still drain the battery. I don't know if this is accidental or, perhaps, intentional to prevent it from laying around too long with a fully charged battery. Maybe SkyRC teamed up with Spektrum and put their SMART lipo technology in it? :LOL:

I had mocked up a way to power my 020 inside the car. I put a small 3S lipo with an XT60 in my car, plugged that into my ISDT battery tester, then connected a USB cable from the lipo tester to the 020 and turned on the USB port. It worked.

That's brilliant.(y):)
I've eaten numerous 015's, so I have many of their lipos here. I charged and tested them. Some are crapped out. Some not. Yet when I charge them off my charger, they charge fine, yet they all still suck when in the 015.. Once 015 is fully charged and unplugged, you must shut if off manually or it stays ON. (n)

With the 020, something to do with the unit and how it uses the voltage when at rest????
It supposedly shuts off when it is no longer connected and charging. I verify this with the RC Gears APP.
Maybe there is malware in the APP of the 020, and China is tracking us when we think it is shut off???:LOL:

Last edited:
That's brilliant.(y):)
I've eaten numerous 015's, so I have many of their lipos here. I charged and tested them. Some are crapped out. Some not. Yet when I charge them off my charger, they charge fine, yet they all still suck when in the 015.. Once 015 is fully charged and unplugged, you must shut if off manually or it stays ON. (n)

With the 020, something to do with the unit and how it uses the voltage when at rest????
It supposedly shuts off when it is no longer connected and charging. I verify this with the RC Gears APP.
Maybe there is malware in the APP of the 020, and China is tracking us when we think it is shut off???:LOL:
The breakfast of champions.

I ordered a battery for the GSM-015 from ebay. Only $10 hopefully it will work

I ordered a battery for the GSM-015 from ebay. Only $10 hopefully it will work
I think any replacement battery will be better than what comes with the 020.
Let us know.

I just got the new battery yesterday. In stall it today. It works. The only difference is the battery plug is backwards. Naturally it will plug in with the red wire to the right and black to the left. But the original battery is opposite. So I trimmed the top of the socket on the board so it plugged in. Works fine with a 36% charge. I plugged a charger to it , charging just fine. Will not fully charge it until I need it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back