Slick's Vaterra Kalahari

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slick2500

Anything will break if you drive it wrong enough.
Community Leader
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Kraton EXB
  4. Outcast 6s
  5. Senton 3s
  6. Typhon 3s
I've always wanted one of these and a guy had one for sale locally for $100.00.
So I bought it.
Came with some spare parts a rear shock tower, battery tray, steering bellcrank, hardware set, pinion, diff set and some brand new knock off Tamiya Rally block tires on the cheap Chinese wheels thankfully he hadn't even glued them yet so I can get some good wheels for them.

OVERVIEW

It’s a mad dash through thousands of miles of burning sand and unyielding brush. Haunting beauty and countless dangers await drivers at every turn. It’s called a rally raid—a desert race so grueling, simply finishing is a triumph. Since 1976, Rally Raids have been held on different continents, but the challenge of each has always been the same; man and machine against the magnificence of the wild.

Pit your driving skills against the toughest terrain with the Vaterra® Kalahari desert raider. Its rugged, four-wheel drive chassis and abundance of power lets you muscle through sand and brush or blast across the flats at up to 45 mph.* Not even the elements can stop you. Its chassis dust cover and waterproof electronics make it possible to run in all kinds of conditions. With the Kalahari, you don’t simply follow the trail to adventure, you blaze it.

For many, the desert rally raid is the greatest test of man and machine in the racing world. It’s a mad dash through thousands of miles of burning sand and unyielding brush. Simply finishing is a triumph. Now you can experience the thrill of one of these races on a smaller scale with the Kalahari desert raider. Its rugged, four-wheel drive chassis and abundance of power let you muscle through sand and brush or blast across the flats at up to 45 mph*. Not even the elements can stop you. Its chassis dust cover and waterproof electronics make it possible to run in all kinds of conditions. With the Kalahari, you don’t simply follow the trail to adventure, you blaze it. *Requires the optional 3S Li-Po battery, sold separately.

The look of the Kalahari desert raider is inspired by highly modified SUVs that have been engineered for grueling o-road races across thousands of miles of desert. Details include simulated running lights, a driver figure, a spoiler, sponsor decals and more. The chassis dust cover and waterproof electronics let you run through sand, rain, brush or anything else nature throws in your path. The 4WD chassis with its four-wheel independent suspension and adjustable oil-filled shocks is engineered to traverse rough terrain at high speed.

20200412_125016.jpg

20200412_125021.jpg

20200412_125154.jpg

It makes a weird noise when I roll the wheels, I do know the pinion is toast, old owner stuck a brass pinion on it with a Hot Racing steel spur :rolleyes:, so I'm hoping that is the noise. Gonna go eat lunch then I'll let the teardown begin.

Last edited:
Everything is all tore apart and deep cleaned.
20200412_201606.jpg

20200412_201613.jpg

Only thing I need are bearings and this little thing was missing. The interior cover with the driver figure is missing too but it's not really needed for anything.
shopping.jpg

I just noticed that 3 of the 4 shocks are the same length....... :unsure:

20200413_214334.jpg

Thanks for sharing can’t wait to see more. I have also wanted one of these I think it’s the body that has me always keeping a eye out for one.

There are a few on eBay but they both look to be in ruff shape, the one guy wants $100 plus $25 shipping and the other wants like $230 plus shipping.

Its nice that these share 90% of the same parts as the Mini 8ight. It also shares parts with the Losi Mini Rally, the Losi 1/14 Desert truck and the Vaterra Kimora.

Pretty much done, just waiting on the cvds.
Upgrades I did were the Vaterra rear hubs, Hot Racing 56T 48p spur, a Robinson Racing 14t 48p pinion and LC Racing turnbuckles.
I might pick up the aluminum suspension mounts and if I can find them for a decent price the aluminum front hubs and caster blocks.
20200423_003143.jpg

Last edited:
The stock tires on this thing suck. Gonna mount the eBay Rally blocks on the cheapo wheels and hope for the best.

I've always wanted one of these and a guy had one for sale locally for $100.00.
So I bought it.
Came with some spare parts a rear shock tower, battery tray, steering bellcrank, hardware set, pinion, diff set and some brand new knock off Tamiya Rally block tires on the cheap Chinese wheels thankfully he hadn't even glued them yet so I can get some good wheels for them.

View attachment 74517

View attachment 74518

View attachment 74519

It makes a weird noise when I roll the wheels, I do know the pinion is toast, old owner stuck a brass pinion on it with a Hot Racing steel spur :rolleyes:, so I'm hoping that is the noise. Gonna go eat lunch then I'll let the teardown begin.
Looks cool. Hopefully you can still get parts.

Pretty much done, just waiting on the cvds.
Upgrades I did were the Vaterra rear hubs, Hot Racing 56T 48p spur and a Robinson Racing 14t 48p pinion.
I might pick up the aluminum suspension mounts and if I can find them for a decent price the aluminum front hubs and caster blocks.
View attachment 76311
Va-terrrraaa...must be Italian! ?

Forgot to update this thread. I changed out the stock Dynamite 2436 4500kv motor with a Surpass 2440 4600kv motor. And added some new shoes.

20200828_194236.jpg

20201004_101450.jpg

Next item/s on the list are aluminum threaded bodied shocks and a body, a body is going to be a little hard to find for this.

Last edited:
Got rid of the old Dynamite esc, stuck in a Hobbywing 16BL30 and relocated the receiver to the top of the new Hitec steering servo.

20210102_195722.jpg

Not sure how I feel about these tires for running on the track, they feel a bit loose on the dry dusty parts, might get another set of these wheels and mount a set of my Tamiya Rallyblock knockoffs on them.

Next up I am going to get some LC Racing aluminum shocks for this.

She's lookin' Goooood! (y)

I was going to ask what paint your going to put on her, but I'd rather be surprised. :)

I was going to suggest LC Racing for possible parts. Will it fit a 28mm motor? The LC Racing truggy 2850 motor is a beast in a light 1:14 scale car. Only $34 too. That 16BL30 is a tank as well. I have absolutely abused the LC Racing branded ones on 3s and they just keep on going.

I've got a kalahari that I've had for probably 8 years, I need to replace the spur gear and probably the pinion gear at the same time any suggestions on what to go for? I'm in the UK

I've got a kalahari that I've had for probably 8 years, I need to replace the spur gear and probably the pinion gear at the same time any suggestions on what to go for? I'm in the UK
Sorry I didn't respond sooner I only get like 2/3s of my notifications for some reason and didn't see this.
Hot Racing steel spur https://hot-racing.com/?partnumber=SOFE60M05;c=676
Robinson Racing hardened steel pinion I can't remember what size the stock one is maybe a 14 http://www.robinsonracing.com/catalog/2mm_pinion.html#.5-mod

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back