Slipper Clutch a wee too tight - How to tune?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeaCue

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
This picture is a small clue that my slipper clutch may be too tight. Ha!
20160807_204430_resized.jpg

I had the clutch adjusted to the manual, which is full and back out 3/4 turn. The spring still looked quite compressed at that setting, but I figured the manual knew best! Two blown axles above would suggest otherwise.

One thing a bit weird here is that this happened to two axles at the same moment. U-Joint from the rear axle, pin from the front, both from the right side. When this happened, diffs were all locked in 4wd mode and nothing really brutal was going on compared to previous runs. Terrain was grassy/leafy/stick-laden trails. Truck suddenly flipped and this was the result. Could have been a stick in the wheels, not sure. Whatever the cause, the slipper should have protected from such things I imagine.

So my question to all, how do you adjust your slipper clutch to the right tension on such a beast as the Nero?

goodness...dude I hate that happened...I haven't adjusted mine at all...right from the box...but it's not fully compressed...gaps between the coils...will take pics and do a distance measurement when I get home....

goodness...dude I hate that happened...I haven't adjusted mine at all...right from the box...but it's not fully compressed...gaps between the coils...will take pics and do a distance measurement when I get home....
Interesting - I took mine out on Friday - and it was acting and sounding like a loose pinion - high pitch wheeeee - I did NOT feel like taking it part so I ran by Bruckner Hobbies. Turns out that was an awesome decision - It was the slipper clutch and just needed some tightening. No charge and I was off and running!

I run mine at 3/4 turn out... when you tighten it you don't wrench it down judt tight till its snug and back it off... have not ran nero much i love it but have been working on it more lol... now it is all ready to go and its raining... lol waiting for new batteries to show up as well...7200mah 3s 70c spc racing lipos... should pack a nice punch. Currently run 2 5400mah 3s 50c onyx batteries. I have not had any issues like this just shock rod ends and pudhrod ends...

Mines sounds that exact same way a friend of mine's Chang my diff Grease and I think that the slipper clutch loosen a little bit is that possible

He changed all the grease in each diff do you have to rejust the slipper clutch when you do so

Mines sounds that exact same way a friend of mine's Chang my diff Grease and I think that the slipper clutch loosen a little bit is that possible

He changed all the grease in each diff do you have to rejust the slipper clutch when you do so
No, but the slipper has to come apart to get the diff open. You may need a new lock nut or a few drops of blue loctite may work. You can adjust it in the truck or pull center out. Tighten it until it's snug no need to wrench it down and back off 3/4 turn. You may need to use something to hold it from turning while you tighten it. Should be an easy fix... check the manual that came with the truck it will have detailed pictures on adjusting the slipper...

Tha
No, but the slipper has to come apart to get the diff open. You may need a new lock nut or a few drops of blue loctite may work. You can adjust it in the truck or pull center out. Tighten it until it's snug no need to wrench it down and back off 3/4 turn. You may need to use something to hold it from turning while you tighten it. Should be an easy fix... check the manual that came with the truck it will have detailed pictures on adjusting the slipper...
Thanks

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back