Typhon Slipper clutch adjustment problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sphexish

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Outcast 4s
  3. Typhon 3s
First off, my apologies for adding to the recent flood of slipper-clutch-related threads. 😑

Reading along with these threads however, I concluded it would be wise the loosen the slipper clutch of my V3 Typhon 3S a couple of turns, especially since I've just finished bolting on a set of humongous MX28 Badlands tires.

It wasn't hard to find a couple of excellent tutorials on how to do this, but I quickly ran into a problem: when I take out the driveshaft and stick a 2mm hex driver into the adjustment screw and then roll the car forward or back, the wheels lock up almost immediately -- in either direction. It also feels like the hex driver is constantly fighting me, wanting to slip out of my grip and turn, to the point where even using the 2mm allen wrench that came with the car for some extra leverage doesn't seem to help.

I also tried simply turning the driver/wrench itself while holding the car still, but all this seems to accomplish is that the slipper clutch begins to 'click' and the wheels begin to rotate slightly, whether I try to turn clockwise or counter-clockwise.

So... Has anyone else experienced this?
Is it perhaps possible that this screw has been dipped in copious amounts of threadlocker from the factory?
And, if so, is there some trick I can employ to get enough leverage to actually loosen the slipper clutch screw?

Many thanks in advance!

(For some reason, things being ridiculously tight seems to be a theme in my Typhon... When I wanted to adjust the mesh of my pinion gear I found out the two bolts in the motor plate were screwed in so tightly they'd actually left circular dents in the aluminum...)

I did the adjustment on my new granite blx too and it was the same. I couldnt hold still by hand the included allen key either direction. I clamped the allen key with a wrench and rolled it in reverse and that freed it. I was then able to adjust by hand. Once i set it I did the loctite on the screw as well.
Also same as you on the motor plate screws. I added washers as suggested in some of the vids

I did the adjustment on my new granite blx too and it was the same. I couldnt hold still by hand the included allen key either direction. I clamped the allen key with a wrench and rolled it in reverse and that freed it. I was then able to adjust by hand. Once i set it I did the loctite on the screw as well.
Also same as you on the motor plate screws. I added washers as suggested in some of the vids

Thanks man. Good to hear I'm not alone in this; I felt pretty dang stupid being unable to get it to work when it all looked so effortless in those videos. 😥

I'll definitely give your technique for freeing it a try!

As I understand it, using threadlocker once the slipper is set is no longer required on the V3 versions of the Arrma 4x4 BLX line, but I might be mistaken about that. (Probably can't hurt to do it anyway, regardless!)

And yeah, I think we watched the same video on the motor plate screws then (Razor RC FTW!). I also added washers, and some threadlocker on those two bolts as well. But I had to clean up a bunch of aluminum shavings first, and the deformation of the slots in the motor plate made it quite hard to get the screws back in at the correct position. So much for it being easily adjustable. :unsure:

Ah good to know that loctite is no longer required for the v3 slipper. There is so much more info out on v2 that it is hard to know what still applies. I'll skip that on my son's senton. I had to force the screws through the adjustable motor plate too. Ended up doing that first then adding loctite to the screws because it kept scraping off.

Just wanted to let you know that your technique for loosening up the supertight slipper ended up working! (y)

were not worthy waynes world GIF

Using some sturdy pliers to grip that allen key accomplished what my feeble fleshy fingers could not: at some point it suddenly became easier to keep it from turning while I slowly backed the car up. After that, I was able to adjust it normally. Phew.

I'm guessing a 'fully tight' slipper means the point where the hex driver and wheels will pretty much only turn in tandem? (Essentially the moment the wheels would start dragging if you're using this method.) I tightened things back up to that point and then turned it back the Arrma-recommended one-and-a-half times, plus an additional two turns looser after that, as recommended here. Curious to see what effect that will have, in combination with the much larger tires.

Regarding the motor plate: I was having trouble as well but I think most of my threadlocker stayed on the tips of those screws in the end. Might consider just getting a fresh, undamaged plate if it gives me any trouble after this... BTW, were the three screws holding the cover of your power module also covered in gunk?

Glad it freed up! I followed the vid and tightened until the back wheels started to drag and that is where I left it. And yes the three cover screws were all gunked up. Unfortunately i cant run my granite until April so i won't know how well the settings work out. Bought my son a senton for his bday so I can't ruin the surprise by bashing early. I'm running out of things to do....maybe I'll install some lights 😀

Glad it freed up! I followed the vid and tightened until the back wheels started to drag and that is where I left it. And yes the three cover screws were all gunked up. Unfortunately i cant run my granite until April so i won't know how well the settings work out. Bought my son a senton for his bday so I can't ruin the surprise by bashing early. I'm running out of things to do....maybe I'll install some lights 😀

Hope I didn't loosen mine too much... Will have to keep a close eye on it.

April?! Man, and I thought I was a pretty patient dad! By the time his birthday rolls around and you'll finally be able to go out driving together, that Granite is gonna be pimped out and dialed in to the max, I'm guessing.

That's totally awesome though. My son's a bit too young for his own car still but we do go out bashing together. Haven't had the chance to go out recently though, due to other projects (sheds that need cleaning up, pedal cars that need maintenance, wives that have birthdays). Hence why I'm giving everything on the Typhon a once-over.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back