Granite Slipper clutch adjustment?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
I have a Granite MEGA which just had a slipper clutch rebuild a few days ago, i noticed that the motor heats up much quicker now than before the rebullid was done. Could my motor over heat from the slipper nut being too tight or too loose?

On paper yes. More Load placed on the motor with a tighter slipper. More RPM's with a loose slipper. Higher Load and RPM's contribute to high motor temps.

You need an inexpensive Temp gun to know what hot really is. Touching it is a loose reference. Over 160F, for brushed motors will eat up the brushes(not replaceable) and wear the stock brass bushings.
Mega Motors are not BB raced motors. Run hotter in general. If you don't clean, flush out the motor ( electrical contact spray) and relube the bushings every so often, the Mega motors are shortlived. Get used to that. Replace with a rebuildable BB Brushed motor of the same specs/wind, (brushes replaceable) when you need to. Consider a motor fan/HS if you don't have already. Overheated brushed motors will eventually weaken the Magnets. Motor is bricked. Brushed are cheaper to replace than BLX. Consumable disposable motors for the most part. If you don't frequently maintain them, they go south sooner than later.
Adjusting the slipper has been discussed elsewhere on AF Search around. I don't have a Brushed Mega. Check the many Videos out there for this slipper adjustment setup. Check the Arrma-RC .com Gigasite for info.
I think the motor is either on its way out or there is undue load/binding somewhere in the drivetrain. Get some temps for us here.
But generally as brushed motors swear out they run hotter and hotter. Because they have brushes which are wear points against the commutator, Wear creates more resistance, resistance creates more heat. Unlike a brushless motor, there is no wear point.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back