Big Rock Slipper clutch doesn't have a spring?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daddytrex

Reaction score
Hey all, I was replacing my spur gear and when I took out the screw I noticed there was no spring... I have another big rock and that one did have a spring when I replaced the spur gear a few weeks ago. Is this a known issue? I mean it worked fine for the past 2 months until last week when I ate some teeth.

Is it stuck in there? You need a spring to maintain some tension on the screw as you loosen the slipper from full right. If it’s missing, then you need to add one.

On the rig in question, if the spring is missing (from factory assembly), then the slipper had to be fully locked and was never functioning to begin with. The spring works with the slipper pads, so there is obvious slipping to off-set high load stress to the gears and drivetrain.
@Daddytrex , you stated you have a spring on your other rigs slipper. You should know if it is there or not, I am sure. If in fact there was none originally installed, you now know why you ate some teeth, albeit months later. Talk with HH to get a spring and gear if the rig is fairly new and under warranty. HH has to eat these QC issues. Your call ultimately.
Just my thoughts. :cool:

On the rig in question, if the spring is missing (from factory assembly), then the slipper had to be fully locked and was never functioning to begin with. The spring works with the slipper pads, so there is obvious slipping to off-set high load stress to the gears and drivetrain.
@Daddytrex , you stated you have a spring on your other rigs slipper. You should know if it is there or not, I am sure. If in fact there was none originally installed, you now know why you ate some teeth, albeit months later. Talk with HH to get a spring and gear if the rig is fairly new and under warranty. HH has to eat these QC issues. Your call ultimately.
Just my thoughts. :cool:

Yes I am positive it isn't there. I checked thoroughly. I put it back together after switching everything over. I wanted to see how it felt now knowing there was no spring inside. It doesn't even compress hard enough to get any tension between both metal pieces to keep the slipper pads tight. I'm starting to think it was a QC issue because when I first took it out. Yhe spur gear was so tight you couldn't even move the car forward or backwards freely. I had to readjust the mesh. 2nd, there was no oil in the shocks or diffs. 3rd, after its second pack the esc wouldn't stay connected and I had to call them and get a replacement esc and now this. I'm definitely gonna demand a new rig at this point, no joke. There's gotta be a lemon law on this since it is a car/truck 🚗 😆🤣.

@Daddytrex, You are familiar enough to see these many QC issues. I've been seeing QC off for so long. And it keeps getting worse.
Absolutely call HH. 👍 Supply the correct part numbers and you should be golden, it makes it easier for them. They like that, and it shows you know your Arrma's well, know what you are talking about. Or they have to waste time searching the parts, the call gets long etc. You know the drill. My calls are usually done in a few minutes literally, even less. They have my shipping info in their system already.
Go for it.
I generally have no complaints with them. I Usually get the same guy who does the Surface RC's. Has my phone number in their system and sees how many Arrmas I have. But once I did have a sarcastic guy ask for a list. I was detailed down to part numbers I need, as always. And his response was, you are asking for a whole new model there. I said, "I want the parts that were compromised and poorly assembled. I am not even charging HH for the labor, I know HH can repair it for me for free also. I am an RC'er, and on the Arrma Forum. Look me up. (Gave him my username) "I am not alone with these issues. How do you want to do this?" "Do you need a supervisors approval?" I keep the convo. simple.
He needed approval so he stated. He must have been a new employee.
Minutes later I get an email with a shipping notice. All in stock shipping tomorrow.
It's always Fedex. Always from Champaign ,IL ,3day delivery to NY.

It was the only bad experience I've had with HH. Many other times, absolutely no issue. Just sometimes parts are on B/O. I usually check the parts first before I call to see if they have it. Like I needed a diff carrier (factory stripped the screw holes) They didn't have it in stock, so they sent me a whole complete assembled/filled up diff as an option. Just had to ask for it. They sent me a $50. part to replace a $10. part. Sometimes I think HH doesn't care about QC. They would rather send you the parts to keep you happy than get a grip on QC issues at production.. It must be cheaper for them in some way. That's what it looks like to me here in the states. 🤷‍♂️
HH in EU is totally different. I hear you have to pull teeth and be lucky to get any service.

Good luck.

Last edited:
@Daddytrex, You are familiar enough to see these many QC issues. I've been seeing QC off for so long. And it keeps getting worse.
Absolutely call HH. 👍 Supply the correct part numbers and you should be golden, it makes it easier for them. They like that, and it shows you know your Arrma's well, know what you are talking about. Or they have to waste time searching the parts, the call gets long etc. You know the drill. My calls are usually done in a few minutes literally, even less. They have my shipping info in their system already.
Go for it.
I generally have no complaints with them. I Usually get the same guy who does the Surface RC's. Has my phone number in their system and sees how many Arrmas I have. But once I did have a sarcastic guy ask for a list. I was detailed down to part numbers I need, as always. And his response was, you are asking for a whole new model there. I said, "I want the parts that were compromised and poorly assembled. I am not even charging HH for the labor, I know HH can repair it for me for free also. I am an RC'er, and on the Arrma Forum. Look me up. (Gave him my username) "I am not alone with these issues. How do you want to do this?" "Do you need a supervisors approval?" I keep the convo. simple.
He needed approval so he stated. He must have been a new employee.
Minutes later I get an email with a shipping notice. All in stock shipping tomorrow.
It's always Fedex. Always from Champaign ,IL ,3day delivery to NY.

It was the only bad experience I've had with HH. Many other times, absolutely no issue. Just sometimes parts are on B/O. I usually check the parts first before I call to see if they have it. Like I needed a diff carrier (factory stripped the screw holes) They didn't have it in stock, so they sent me a whole complete assembled/filled up diff as an option. Just had to ask for it. They sent me a $50. part to replace a $10. part. Sometimes I think HH doesn't care about QC. They would rather send you the parts to keep you happy than get a grip on QC issues at production.. It must be cheaper for them in some way. That's what it looks like to me here in the states. 🤷‍♂️
HH in EU is totally different. I hear you have to pull teeth and be lucky to get any service.

Good luck.

Yea I've had great service so far from HH.
Granted it was my first time using HH's CS. Im big on CS, I've made a living off of it for years. So I expect the same when im on the opposite end. Anyway, I Told them what happen with the esc and that I did all the trouble shooting based off my research on the forum and YT. I told him this was my sons big rock and he had only played with it for a couple of minutes since xmas when we gave it to him. He was super nice. Asked for my info and sent me the esc within 3 days like you said. Not to mention he was super cool and didn't even ask for proof of purchase. He said just to make sure I do have it in the future. That eventually someone might ask for it.

I like to hear that. Great. 👍
Probably the same guy I usually get. I call and get a call back prompt, leave my number it its always the same guy. I think Ed is his name. IDK. He just calls me by name and asks what do you need. literally 3 minute call. Amazing. Bad QC sometimes, but the best Customer support I have ever seen with any product I have ever had to call.
Dam, I have a 5 month old LG high end washing machine. LG has come to repair like 4 times since late Oct 2020. They came 3 times , came with wrong parts. Called and cancelled another appt. Then recently another visit by a tech that asked me why I needed service. Came with no parts. I asked him to leave if he wasnt prepared to fix it now. I left him at the door. Horrible. Support on the phone was useless. I am about to give up and call my CC for a dispute and ask for my money back on a 5 month old, $1400. clothes washer under warranty.
don't buy LG. I wish HH could help me with this.:LOL:

I like to hear that. Great. 👍
Probably the same guy I usually get. I call and get a call back prompt, leave my number it its always the same guy. I think Ed is his name. IDK. He just calls me by name and asks what do you need. literally 3 minute call. Amazing. Bad QC sometimes, but the best Customer support I have ever seen with any product I have ever had to call.
Dam, I have a 5 month old LG high end washing machine. LG has come to repair like 4 times since late Oct 2020. They came 3 times , came with wrong parts. Called and cancelled another appt. Then recently another visit by a tech that asked me why I needed service. Came with no parts. I asked him to leave if he wasnt prepared to fix it now. I left him at the door. Horrible. Support on the phone was useless. I am about to give up and call my CC for a dispute and ask for my money back on a 5 month old, $1400. clothes washer under warranty.
don't buy LG. I wish HH could help me with this.:LOL:
You're preaching to the Choir. We have a 40" LG TV in the bedroom and it is barely 2 years old. The screen is so dim you can only watch TV at night. I called best buy and the extended warranty I had purchased just ended a little over a month ago. They said sorry can't help you there. You need to call LG CS. Let me just say OMG lol. They wanted to charge $175 to inspect it plus parts. I LOLd at the guy historically for about 30 to 45 seconds straight. The guy hung up. I had a Vizio 55" TV last me over 5 years and I sold it working perfectly fine about a year ago. It is safe to say I will not be purchasing any LG products for a very long time if ever again 😀😉😄.

I usually buy only $Sammy's$ or the cheap Vizio's and Roku Tv's for around the house. Supposedly LG has the best High end screens right now.(so the trade mags state/ promote) but I wont buy LG even at steep discount. Vizio's are underrated and actually pretty decent IMHO. Vizio became the #2 seller behind Sammy's recently.
LG is like the Jack of all trades company. Makes everything from TV's to washers and dryers and everything in between, but does nothing best IMHO.

Last edited:
Ok so I opened up the slipper clutch to double check if anything else looked off and I noticed there were only 2 slipper pads. One on the inside and one on the outside. Isnt there supposed to be 3?

Back