Granite Slipper clutch help?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basher27

Reaction score
So this is a new one for me. I’m trying to figure out what is wrong with my slipper clutch. There is only power going to the front wheels. When I pick up the front wheels and give it throttle, nothing happens. I pick up the back wheels and give it throttle, and all the power is going there. I tried tightening the slipper clutch all the way and still no change. So I don’t believe there is slippage. I narrowed it down to the slipper clutch because I grabbed the same slipper off my sons granite and put it on mine to confirm that is the problem. I can’t imagine it being worn out pads, but I’ve certainly been wrong before. Any thoughts.

Check to make sure the slipper hub isn't busted or stripped, or the little red aluminum spline piece that transfers power from the slipper to the front shaft is broken/stripped

Check to make sure the slipper hub isn't busted or stripped, or the little red aluminum spline piece that transfers power from the slipper to the front shaft is broken/stripped
No, that piece is fine. again I’m getting power to the front wheels. Meaning the driveshaft and red spline piece are fine. The rear wheels I am getting no power.

It's Not the slipper dude.
You said the slipper is good and adjusted well. Right?
The Rear diff. Look over everything at the back, axels, diff etc.. Could be a bricked Ring/Main and input gear. What I would check at this point.
Commonly breaks like this.

Does the rear hub spline look stripped out like this? That'll do it.

20220722_205721.jpg

It's Not the slipper dude.
You said the slipper is good and adjusted well. Right?
The Rear diff. Look over everything at the back, axels, diff etc.. Could be a bricked Ring/Main and input gear. What I would check at this point.
Commonly breaks like this.
I was thinking that originally, but like I was saying, I took the slipper assembly out of a different granite and put it in and it worked perfect so it was narrowed down to just the slipper
Does the rear hub spline look stripped out like this? That'll do it.

View attachment 258852
From what I can tell, it does not look stripped

Last edited:
Need a new slipper clutch if the Rear diff is ok.

https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...ar-slipper-clutch-assembly-hd-57t-ara4302v3-1

Just Look over the rear diff. Do you know how? Done that before?
Get back.
I would totally agree with you however as I mentioned, I took the slipper clutch assembly from my sons granite and popped it in mine, and it worked perfect so that’s how I know it’s something in the slipper assembly
Need a new slipper clutch if the Rear diff is ok.

https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...ar-slipper-clutch-assembly-hd-57t-ara4302v3-1

Just Look over the rear diff. Do you know how? Done that before?
Get back.
Yes, I have replaced several ring gears in the past but like I’ve mentioned, I took my son’s slipper assembly from his granite and popped it into mine and it worked perfect so that’s how I know where the problem is coming from

Ok, then you know its the slipper for sure..... (y)
Go to JennysRC . A complete new one makes sense.

Starting to think I just need to replace the whole entire slipper set. I was on Amazon and saw two sets that looks similar with different part numbers. Does anyone know the difference between ARA311034 which is what the manual recommends and part number ARA 310949? I am able to get one overnight for five dollars cheaper, and the one that’s in the owners manual will take a couple extra days.

Can get a slipper hub also for 16 bucks. And make sure you don’t over tighten it. Learn how to adjust the slipper by feel without tightening it down all the way or using the drag it across the floor method. The screw threads inside the rear slipper hub are not very strong and can be easily stripped if you’re not careful.

I carefully tighten mine down till I feel a slight bit of resistance. Then I’ll test it out in the car and if it’s too loose (it screams), it’s easy to tighten a quarter turn at a time while the slipper is still installed in the car. Remove the center driveshaft and run a 2mm driver up it. Ideally, I want my slipper to ‘chirp’ a bit before engaging. I like them a tiny bit on the looser side as it’s easier on the drive train. Slipper pads are cheaper then diffs and driveshafts.

6BE7DAAC-29F3-4A6B-98B3-BD349C7BA3C6.png

ARA 310949
Pretty sure this one is a knock off. I would stay away from those.

No, that piece is fine. again I’m getting power to the front wheels. Meaning the driveshaft and red spline piece are fine. The rear wheels I am getting no power.
Check your input gear shaft??
Sounds like something loose or stripped or maybe missing??

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back