Typhon Slipper clutch issues. EDIT Motor bearing issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmack b

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Mojave
  5. Outcast 4s
  6. Typhon 3s
So I picked up a Typhon 3s blx this weekend. I pulled it out the box, checked everything out, tightened up the slipper a little, and I was off. About 5 minutes into my first run(2s) the slipper starts making a horrible sound. its still working fine just making a noise, so I pull it apart to make sure there is not a rock or something in there. Nothing in it, but with the power module out, and hitting the gas I get the noise, so its definitely coming from the slipper. So I think the bearing inside the slipper might be bad so I take it apart. Bearing is fine and nothing in it, but the screw feels weird coming out. So I put it back together and it wont tighten up. seems that the slipper pad/hubset part is stripped and not letting the pads get tight. I did not over tighten it, its just stripped. First thought is to drill and tap it to the next size up, but the thrust washer and spring wont fit over the next size. Anyone no of a fix without waiting for parts? Any one else having this issue? I want to run my new truck.

Also the spur gear on the Granite BLX and the Typhon BLX are different. I think that they would be interchangeable, but they look a little different AR310879(Granite) AR310907(Typhon). The only thing different in the two assemblies.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arrma-Slipper-Plate-Hub-Set-4x4-775-BLX-3S-AR310880/292880334552
this is what stripped.

So I picked up a Typhon 3s blx this weekend. I pulled it out the box, checked everything out, tightened up the slipper a little, and I was off. About 5 minutes into my first run(2s) the slipper starts making a horrible sound. its still working fine just making a noise, so I pull it apart to make sure there is not a rock or something in there. Nothing in it, but with the power module out, and hitting the gas I get the noise, so its definitely coming from the slipper. So I think the bearing inside the slipper might be bad so I take it apart. Bearing is fine and nothing in it, but the screw feels weird coming out. So I put it back together and it wont tighten up. seems that the slipper pad/hubset part is stripped and not letting the pads get tight. I did not over tighten it, its just stripped. First thought is to drill and tap it to the next size up, but the thrust washer and spring wont fit over the next size. Anyone no of a fix without waiting for parts? Any one else having this issue? I want to run my new truck.

Also the spur gear on the Granite BLX and the Typhon BLX are different. I think that they would be interchangeable, but they look a little different AR310879(Granite) AR310907(Typhon). The only thing different in the two assemblies.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arrma-Slipper-Plate-Hub-Set-4x4-775-BLX-3S-/292880334552
this is what stripped.

I like my slippers tight and when I cranked mine down I felt a little pop as the screw backed out. I lightly snugged it back and it has held. Depending on what you need, the parts you need are backordered. If you can't get it right you may have to taken it apart and Jerry rig something until you can get parts. As far as the spurs, they are interchangeable.

Edit: If it's the hubs like you posted the link for, I would just get them. Or check JRC for a whole assembly. The screw and spring kit is what is backordered.

I like my slippers tight and when I cranked mine down I felt a little pop as the screw backed out. I lightly snugged it back and it has held. Depending on what you need, the parts you need are backordered. If you can't get it right you may have to taken it apart and Jerry rig something until you can get parts. As far as the spurs, they are interchangeable.

Edit: If it's the hubs like you posted the link for, I would just get them. Or check JRC for a whole assembly. The screw and spring kit is what is backordered.

Yeah I just ordered the hub assembly and 2 spur gears. Hope it gets me going. I don't like the blx slipper assembly.

Yeah I just ordered the hub assembly and 2 spur gears. Hope it gets me going. I don't like the blx slipper assembly.
You would have hated the Mega one then, lol.

Well it was not the slipper that was making the horrible noise. Turns out the pinion side motor bearing was bad form the factory. Tore it all apart and got the bearing out, trying to find a replacement. I will contact Horizon for a warranty claim. This is a little bad for a brand new rig. I really like my 2 Arrma's, but there durability has been right on par with every Traxxas I have owned. Just part of the hobby I guess.

I took the can completely apart and then pushed it out from the shaft hole on the pinion side. It was a pain, but came on out. Still trying to figure out the size of the bearing to get a replacement on order.

I took the can completely apart and then pushed it out from the shaft hole on the pinion side. It was a pain, but came on out. Still trying to figure out the size of the bearing to get a replacement on order.
did you ever find replacement bearings?

did you ever find replacement bearings?
Yes sir. I just ordered them from Jim's bearings for $7. 5x13x4. Also Horizon is going to send me a new motor, but it is back ordered till the end of February. They did not even offer to send me the 3800kv fuze motor they sent to the guy on here as a replacement.

Yes sir. I just ordered them from Jim's bearings for $7. 5x13x4. Also Horizon is going to send me a new motor, but it is back ordered till the end of February. They did not even offer to send me the 3800kv fuze motor they sent to the guy on here as a replacement.
lol that guy is me. I'm trying to get them to let me exchange it for store credit. ask them if you can do a store credit $89 and choose vwhat you want from they're website. but you have to choose from they're proprietary brands such as Dynamite, Losi, Kenexsis, Arrma, and Axial.

I just picked up a typhon and after 2 days the same motor bearing went out. Joined the forum in search of this bearing size. Thank you(=

bicketybam question?​

If your slipper clutch is too too tight would it affect the top end speed of the car?
The reason why I asked every since I installed a new one and added an HR 57 T Spur gear my 3s Typhon seems to be a lot slower.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back