Slipper clutch problem?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaZZu206

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
This is my spur after 15 min. It was brand new . What should i do?
20210508_202759.jpg

Replace spur, loosen gear mesh, ensure slipper set properly, go again :)

Was this deffos brand new? There's a lot of scoring on that output shaft... seems a bit older than 15 mins?
I just replaced the diff and sput. And yes brand new all stock replacements. What am i doing wrong? How do you set slipper clutch properly?

Once you get the slipper clutch setup correctly, mash sure your mesh is close to perfect as well. AFTER THAT, check to make sure you don't have a bent motor housing plate! I was stripping gears and found out that my plate was bent. I replaced the plate, drilled a hole in the chassis where the spur gear sits, and no longer stripped spur gears.

Bent motor mount plate or bad mesh are the most likely reasons for a quickly stripped spur gear. A bad motor bearing that causes the motor shaft to wobble, or an overly tightened slipper could also cause it. If not, there are alot of other potential reasons. Check everything, slipper bearings, pinion, rear input gear and diff, etc. Jondilly and I disagree about slipper clutch adjustment. I think the slide method in that video results in a fully tight slipper, or very close to it. The factory setting is 1-1/2 turns looser than fully tight.

Last edited:
Bent motor mount plate or bad mesh are the most likely reasons for a quickly stripped spur gear. A bad motor bearing that causes the motor shaft to wobble, or an overly tightened slipper could also cause it. If not, there are alot of other potential reasons. Check everything, slipper bearings, pinion, rear input gear and diff, etc. Jondilly and I disagree about slipper clutch adjustment. I think the slide method in that video results in a fully tight slipper, or very close to it. The factory setting is 1-1/2 turns looser than fully tight.
The steps outlined in the video worked for me although I totally dispute the idea that you have to leave the motor sitting for 24 hours "or else it will bond with the drive shaft", not true in my experience. I let it cure for 6 hours or so and I think even that is overkill.

Regarding setting the slipper, I followed the steps and aggressively skidded the tires and pushed down on the chassis and yes it's true the slipper was too tight. I backed it off and performed a more gentle procedure and it has been working perfectly through at least 6 packs.

although I totally dispute the idea that you have to leave the motor sitting for 24 hours "or else it will bond with the drive shaft", not true in my experience.
Where is this coming from? When did I say anything like this? I don't even know what you're talking about here.

Where is this coming from? When did I say anything like this? I don't even know what you're talking about here.
I'm sorry, my intention wasn't to suggest you said this, a lot of the videos / instructions I've seen regarding setting the slipper includes a step "cure the locktite on the slipper for 24 hours." My experience is that 24 hours is not necessary, I didn't mean to suggest that you said it.

I'm sorry, my intention wasn't to suggest you said this, a lot of the videos / instructions I've seen regarding setting the slipper includes a step "cure the locktite on the slipper for 24 hours." My experience is that 24 hours is not necessary, I didn't mean to suggest that you said it.
No problem. BTW, the latest 3s slippers no longer require loc-tite. A plastic nut in the back of the slipper holds the screw now. (You also need the new, shorter input gear so the plastic nut will fit.) I think it's a big improvement. It stays on and can be adjusted anytime with no loc-tite or curing time.

yea looks like bent motor mount and make that upgrade to the metal slipper gear i was killing the plastic ones because slight bend in motor mount would strip the plastic gear been running the metal one for months no stripping

yea looks like bent motor mount and make that upgrade to the metal slipper gear i was killing the plastic ones because slight bend in motor mount would strip the plastic gear been running the metal one for months no stripping
Metal spur for the win! I got an HR one and the Arrma one, and one of them, the gear teeth are getting sharp so I think its going to give way soon lol But it's been going super strong for almost 8 months now so I'm not going to be too disappointed if it dies haha I'll just get another one :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back