Slipper Clutch Slipping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w0den

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
This is not about the screw on the slipper clutch coming loose. Promise.
No matter how tight I make the slipper clutch, it just spins freely. It seems that the space between the two hubs is too large. It was working fine until yesterday, but after a jump it just seems to have broken. I took it apart multiple times, and re-assembled it to no avail. Here is a video of the complete re-assembly of the clutch and the problem I am having:

Am I missing something, or doing something very wrong?
(note, I am using the Arma steel spur gear)

Thanks!

No matter how tight I make the slipper clutch, it just spins freely. It seems that the space between the two hubs is too large. It was working fine until yesterday, but after a jump it just seems to have broken. I took it apart multiple times, and re-assembled it to no avail. Here is a video of the complete re-assembly of the clutch and the problem I am having:

Thanks!
Saw a thread on this recently. Are you using 4 slipper plates? Iirc, the arrma metal spur requires 4 plates/discs.

Edit: this isnt the post I saw, but it does talk about running 4 pads on the slipper when using the arrma metal spur.
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/new-metal-slipper-came-loose.47110/#post-661487

First: You are cranking down on that little screw way too hard man. If you haven't already you will eventually strip your slipper hub. It doesn't have to be that tight to be "fully tight"

Second: there are two versions of the metal spur for the 3/4s line. One that take 3 slipper pads and one that take 4. I'm thinking just by what I saw that you likely have a "4". Throw another slipper pad on the thick side and I bet it'll set how it's supposed to for ya.

Thanks!
I'm not pro I need to find the video to show. Looks like you overtighten and stripped right throw the nut.

So I hand tighten mine and do not use a power tool. When you get to the point it is tight...stop and do not turn it to the point it breaks...damaged. When it is hand tight you should NOT be able to spin it as you did in the video. I actually have to put the center driveshaft in to turn it which means you get some slip....slipper clutch. Never should be able to turn it as you did...

When I have it tight. I back off it 1 1/2 turn where I like mine. I sit it up and put thread locker (2 drops) in the side where the plastic nut is and let it sit for 24hrs before putting it back in and reassembling.

Thanks!

OK

I time-stamped it...keep in mind if using 3 pads or 4 pads this is how you should tighten it and stop...

So it never had 4 slipper pads in it and it used to work fine! I also only cranked it down that hard because it stopped working. But yup. It looks like the steel spur gear needs 4 slipper pads! Has anyone used the aluminum ones? They only seem to come in sets of three, are they thicker? It’s funny, not a single video online showed 4 pads! I’ll also grab a slipper rebuild kit.

Thanks everyone!

I haven’t tried them but I reca asking someone about mixing the aluminum and fiber pads, and I’m not sure but I believe they said you can if you do it equally on each side.
I found the reply, it was from hot racing themselves here it is
650F94B2-0832-486D-B7D8-C78DFA28A377.jpeg

So if you wantEd to try the aluminum ones first without buying 2 sets

So it never had 4 slipper pads in it and it used to work fine! I also only cranked it down that hard because it stopped working. But yup. It looks like the steel spur gear needs 4 slipper pads! Has anyone used the aluminum ones? They only seem to come in sets of three, are they thicker? It’s funny, not a single video online showed 4 pads! I’ll also grab a slipper rebuild kit.

Thanks everyone!
Yes...steel spur requires 4 pads!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back