Typhon Slipper Clutch Spring

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matflat

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Typhon 3s
Hello Arrma Forum,

I have a strange one. On my first drive of the Typhon a few posts back, I mentioned that I has sheared the long bolt in the slipper clutch. So I ordered a new maintenance kit. I finally got around to sorting this out last week and I noticed I had a spring in it. So I put it back in the way it should be and drive it out today to give it a go and check it was ok. GOt back and tore everything down and I have no slipper clutch spring anymore. What is even weirder is that I have a spare spring but now I can't fit the slipper shaft back in at all. No idea why, do I need a spring, what the heck have I done, is there any salvation :)

Look forward to your help.

Cheers,
Mat.

Hello Arrma Forum,

I have a strange one. On my first drive of the Typhon a few posts back, I mentioned that I has sheared the long bolt in the slipper clutch. So I ordered a new maintenance kit. I finally got around to sorting this out last week and I noticed I had a spring in it. So I put it back in the way it should be and drive it out today to give it a go and check it was ok. GOt back and tore everything down and I have no slipper clutch spring anymore. What is even weirder is that I have a spare spring but now I can't fit the slipper shaft back in at all. No idea why, do I need a spring, what the heck have I done, is there any salvation :)

Look forward to your help.

Cheers,
Mat.
Dang…that’s a bummer. Yup you need the spring. Can you post pics of the parts? Do you have the schematic for reassembly? It’s below if not.

315758F2-1835-4DED-95AA-91DD7A71850F.jpeg

Dang…that’s a bummer. Yup you need the spring. Can you post pics of the parts? Do you have the schematic for reassembly? It’s below if not.

View attachment 262608
Yep @Velodromed - I used the exploded views all the time for both the Big Rock and the Typhon. I have the maintenance kit ARA311033. It just doesn't screw down enough. Was thinking of cutting the spring if possible. But I must have been running it this afternoon without a spring - I'll be honest, it ran sweet.
Am using the view here - https://www.arrma-rc.com/en/interactive-exploded-view?pid=ARA4306V3

Yep @Velodromed - I used the exploded views all the time for both the Big Rock and the Typhon. I have the maintenance kit ARA311033. It just doesn't screw down enough. Was thinking of cutting the spring if possible. But I must have been running it this afternoon without a spring - I'll be honest, it ran sweet.
Am using the view here - https://www.arrma-rc.com/en/interactive-exploded-view?pid=ARA4306V3
Does the screw just spin after a certain point? Could it be stripped? What length is the screw?
Maybe measure the screw to make sure it’s 20mm and inspect the threads to confirm it’s all solid.

Attachments

• 4590B200-E347-4EC6-A969-32269EFFC5F5.png
    4590B200-E347-4EC6-A969-32269EFFC5F5.png
    177.1 KB · Views: 29
Does the screw just spin after a certain point? Could it be stripped? What length is the screw?
Maybe measure the screw to make sure it’s 20mm and inspect the threads to confirm it’s all solid.
The screw in the slipper clutch is the one I got from the first maintenance kit. The length is exactly the same as the one in the spare maintenance kit. I am genuinely stumped. I've watched 10 videos on rebuilding it and I'm doing everything right. The screw is catching on the black plastic piece on the other side but only if I do not have the spring in place. It's just odd. Not sure what to do now other than take the spring out, or cut it down a little and Loctite it and hope it'll be fine.

Last edited:
The screw in the slipper clutch is the one I got from the first maintenance kit. The length is exactly the same as the one in the spare maintenance kit. I am genuinely stumped. I've watched 10 videos on rebuilding it and I'm doing everything right. The screw is catching on the black plastic piece on the other side but only if I do not have the spring in place. It's just odd. Not sure what to do now other than take the spring out, or cut it down a little and Loctite it and hope it'll be fine.
@Velodromed - going to trim the spring a little and see if that works. At least there will be some tension then. Checked the little black plastic pieces and the screw does connect when there is no spring. Also put the screw into each component part of the assembly and it isn’t threaded, it goes into and through each piece separately.

@Velodromed - you are not going to believe this. And please take note that I am publically declaring myself completely stupid :) So I was toiling with this thing all morning, and then to my amazement, surprise, and utter horror, the old washers popped out. I couldn't see them in the shaft. So there you go. User error. I guess I will be having a few more of these. I had to pry one of the old washers out also. But at least it's all good now. I guess I should also get a tattoo that says check batteries whilst I am at it :ROFLMAO: What a bumbling fool I am.

Last edited:
@Velodromed - you are not going to believe this. And please take note that I am publically declaring myself completely stupid :) So I was toiling with this thing all morning, and then to my amazement, surprise, and utter horror, the old washers popped out. I couldn't see them in the shaft. So there you go. User error. I guess I will be having a few more of these. I had to pry one of the old washers out also. But at least it's all good now. I guess I should also get a tattoo that says check batteries whilst I am at it :ROFLMAO: What a bumbling fool I am.
Also, if the screw goes straight thru the slipper hub without screwing in then the slipper hub is stripped and will need replaced. Without a good slipper hub the black plastic nut alone will not keep your slipper clutch adjusted properly for very long and will end up coming loose or stripping out also.

Was reading along with this thread since the start and was just letting my buddy Velo answer your questions, cause he surely knows what he is doing, but now it's early and he is probably not gonna answer for a bit, so I figured I'd weigh in here real quick. Good luck, buddy. Change that stripped slipper hub.

Also, if the screw goes straight thru the slipper hub without screwing in then the slipper hub is stripped and will need replaced. Without a good slipper hub the black plastic nut alone will not keep your slipper clutch adjusted properly for very long and will end up coming loose or stripping out also.

Was reading along with this thread since the start and was just letting my buddy Velo answer your questions, cause he surely knows what he is doing, but now it's early and he is probably not gonna answer for a bit, so I figured I'd weigh in here real quick. Good luck, buddy. Change that stripped slipper hub.
@Kla912000 - I posted a few minutes ago about me being totally stupid - this was all user error on my side :) Thanks for the reply.

You’ve only scratched the surface of the goofy things you can do. There will be plenty to come 😉

I swear I am getting dafter the older I get. But at least I am willing to admit it :) really appreciate the help you all give.
Yeah, I constantly screw up. I don’t let it frustrate me, not worth it. I just try not to do big-time screwups.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back