Granite Slipper clutch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC Frank

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
Any ideas as to why a tightened slipper clutch would make a loud noise when I hit the throttle now? Don't want to burn anything up.

Maybe you stripped the diff gears or spur gear mesh is too tight.

Mesh is too tight? Like. . . There should be a bit of play? I am stupid. But I just got an adjustable motor mount and will probably fiddlestick up meshing things. I bet there is a video for that too. . So nvm.
I like the auto censor feature on this forum. Thanks, bot!

Any ideas as to why a tightened slipper clutch would make a loud noise when I hit the throttle now? Don't want to burn anything up.
Record the noise and we can help you better. When you hit the throttle too hard the slipper clutch is supposed to slip and makes a distinctive whining sound. If you tighten it too much, it creates too much stress and the slipper screw breaks loose. After that, the slipper clutch slips all the time and you will hear that whining sound from any kind of throttle. If it's not a whining sound, you broke something else.

Record the noise and we can help you better. When you hit the throttle too hard the slipper clutch is supposed to slip and makes a distinctive whining sound. If you tighten it too much, it creates too much stress and the slipper screw breaks loose. After that, the slipper clutch slips all the time and you will hear that whining sound from any kind of throttle. If it's not a whining sound, you broke something else.
It's definitely a grinding noise

It's definitely a grinding noise
I wouldn't run it then, there's a good chance you're grinding something up. Again, a video with sound would help. But it sounds like you're going to have to open it up to find out. Check for stripped teeth on the pinion, slipper clutch, spur gear, differential gear.

I wouldn't run it then, there's a good chance you're grinding something up. Again, a video with sound would help. But it sounds like you're going to have to open it up to find out. Check for stripped teeth on the pinion, slipper clutch, spur gear, differential gear.
I'll put up a video later.

My phone only takes mp4 and I can't send the video in that format

Google Photos loaded on Android and iPhone then get a link to the video and share the URL here....

Google Photos loaded on Android and iPhone then get a link to the video and share the URL here....
I will try that sometime. I went ahead and order a new spur gear and slipper set. Just gonna try that and see where it lands me.

So it seems like when I put it all back together the spur gear is rubbing against the plastic housing

Attachments

• 20200716_144150.jpg
    20200716_144150.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 80
So it seems like when I put it all back together the spur gear is rubbing against the plastic housing
That shouldn’t be possible, unless you forgot the plate or pads in the assembly. I would take it all apart and lay the parts of the slipper in order in which they are assembled and compare that to the exploded parts diagram.

I am seeing the same thing now. Like on the inside rear cover of the power module there are clear wear marks from the spur gear. I guess it could be dirt trapped in there, but it looks like mine is for sure rubbing a bit. I saw people on here that put shims on that side to prevent that or sealed the gearbox to prevent dirt ingress. I might try that when I have to replace my current spur gear. Until then maybe it will just wear a groove that sorts out the problem. Maybe that's a bad plan.

That shouldn’t be possible, unless you forgot the plate or pads in the assembly. I would take it all apart and lay the parts of the slipper in order in which they are assembled and compare that to the exploded parts diagram.
Any ideas where to find the diagram? I only find the mega 4x4

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back