Senton Slipper for senton mega brushless upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevepol

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I know this has been asked a bunch but seems like a lot of differing opinions. I have a senton mega v3. I was thinking of mild brushless firma 85a combo. What should be done with slipper and pinion? I will only be using 2s lipo for now(as thats what I have) Aslo can anybody confirm if 85a is ic3 or ic5. Ive seen both in product descriptions. My batteries are all ec3/ic3. I could always solder new ends on I guess. Thanks in advance

Thanks. was wondering about that one. Does it add any speed? Not looking for a lot but a little more would be nice
The lower KV rating will give it more torque but if you go up a few teeth with your pinion it will speed it up. I went from the stock 14t on the Granite Mega to a 17t recommended on here for those trucks and it sped it up quite a bit. Plus it has the same shaft size as the stock pinions so you can get an Arrma on pretty easily.

Adam

The lower KV rating will give it more torque but if you go up a few teeth with your pinion it will speed it up. I went from the stock 14t on the Granite Mega to a 17t recommended on here for those trucks and it sped it up quite a bit. Plus it has the same shaft size as the stock pinions so you can get an Arrma on pretty easily.

Adam
Great! Thanks

Adam
So you don't overheat? I am leaning towards this onyx setup. Is it as fast or faster then the brushed 550?
Ps- thanks for your help

So you don't overheat? I am leaning towards this onyx setup. Is it as fast or faster then the brushed 550?
Ps- thanks for your help
I added a fan to it to help with heat and it has done great so far. It's quicker than the mega setup and is way less maintenance. I blew through 4 brushed motors including a Traxxas one in 4 or 5 months.

Your pinion size will vary because the Senton has smaller tires so you may need to go up a couple more teeth.

I added a fan to it to help with heat and it has done great so far. It's quicker than the mega setup and is way less maintenance. I blew through 4 brushed motors including a Traxxas one in 4 or 5 months.

Your pinion size will vary because the Senton has smaller tires so you may need to go up a couple more teeth.
Great info thanks. couldn’t decide between firma 85a or onyx. I just want a simple brushless upgrade. This sounds great

@stevepol what did you end up doing with your Mega? I bought my son the Senton Mega 4x4 and he's gotten a handle on controlling it and now wants something faster. He burned up the brushed motor in a month and Horizon replaced it under warranty.

Based on everything I've read in this forum, I don't want to get the Firma combo with the 85A ESC, but that Onyx combo is tempting, so I'm interested in hearing how it turned out if that is what you did.

Thanks.

@stevepol what did you end up doing with your Mega? I bought my son the Senton Mega 4x4 and he's gotten a handle on controlling it and now wants something faster. He burned up the brushed motor in a month and Horizon replaced it under warranty.

Based on everything I've read in this forum, I don't want to get the Firma combo with the 85A ESC, but that Onyx combo is tempting, so I'm interested in hearing how it turned out if that is what you did.

Thanks.
The Onyx combo is not so good. The motor is ok but the ESCs are hit or miss. Sometimes you get a good one and sometimes not. If you wanna go brushless, don't go cheap on the ESC. The best option would be to get a stock 3s BLX system from JennysRC.

https://jennysrc.com/products/arrma...ess-blx100-esc-speed-control-granite-ar102696

https://jennysrc.com/products/arrma...brushless-3200kv-3660-4-pole-granite-ar102696

As Kla912000 says, your best option is Jenny’s. If you decide to go a different route, I suggest you get at least a 100A ESC. That way you will have an upgrade path on the motor if you decide to upgrade later.
Thanks guys. I’m new to this and was hesitant about ordering from Jenny’s because their website says there is no warranty on the parts other than being DOA. For stuff I order on Amazon, I at least get the 30 days.

Since I’m new to the RC world, I don’t know how warranties generally work with different hobby outlets when buying parts. Is it common for the self service upgrades to only get a DOA warranty? Or is that just specific to Jenny’s as it looks like they are pulling new parts from retail boxed cars which voids manufacturer warranties?

And I’m not looking for the max speed I can get out of this upgrade, just something noticeably higher. I understand that if I go for the max speed I will need to upgrade other parts and we are not ready to do that yet.

Also, I’ve read many posts on upgrading the Senton Mega to brushless. Some say you need to upgrade motor mount, pinion, etc… and some say you don’t. With the Senton v3 I read that Arrma upgraded components and it is brushless ready, so to me that implies I just need to upgrade the motor and ESC. But if I get that BLX motor from Jenny’s, or any other 3660 motor, I need to get a 48p 5mm pinion gear as the Arrma Mega comes stock with a 3.125mm motor shaft. Is that all that I need to upgrade? I already have a 5000mAh 2s LiPo.

I can answer your question about Jenny's warranty policy: Jenny's is what we call a "parts breaker". They buy brand new fully assembled RC vehicles and then break them down to sell the parts separately. The parts won't come in Arrma packaging, and they might have minor tool marks on them from disassembly. By doing this they can keep the parts prices low. If you absolutely must have new parts, then go to Amazon or a regular hobby shop, where you will pay full price or close to it.

Your other questions are best answered by those who have more experience with the Senton Mega.

Thanks guys. I’m new to this and was hesitant about ordering from Jenny’s because their website says there is no warranty on the parts other than being DOA. For stuff I order on Amazon, I at least get the 30 days.

Since I’m new to the RC world, I don’t know how warranties generally work with different hobby outlets when buying parts. Is it common for the self service upgrades to only get a DOA warranty? Or is that just specific to Jenny’s as it looks like they are pulling new parts from retail boxed cars which voids manufacturer warranties?

And I’m not looking for the max speed I can get out of this upgrade, just something noticeably higher. I understand that if I go for the max speed I will need to upgrade other parts and we are not ready to do that yet.

Also, I’ve read many posts on upgrading the Senton Mega to brushless. Some say you need to upgrade motor mount, pinion, etc… and some say you don’t. With the Senton v3 I read that Arrma upgraded components and it is brushless ready, so to me that implies I just need to upgrade the motor and ESC. But if I get that BLX motor from Jenny’s, or any other 3660 motor, I need to get a 48p 5mm pinion gear as the Arrma Mega comes stock with a 3.125mm motor shaft. Is that all that I need to upgrade? I already have a 5000mAh 2s LiPo.
Im also gonna leave total swap to brushless to others as ive never had a mega. I know your close with what u listed. But someone will get u a good answer shortly.

WARRANTY:
Im still new also. But heres what ive found. With ARRMA you have 2yr on all electrics stock. Unless u change the power plug. Anything else is totally up to Horizon Hobby.
That decision and or shipping costs can go either way. They may say yes u can warranty a part but have to pay shipping. Shipping is more than the part. Alot of times.
Prob gonna be this way or worse with any other company and warrantys. Loads of companies you won't ever speak to anyone. And thats if u get a response. Part of the hobby I guess🤷

Thanks.
I ended up with firma 85. It’s been great. It’s no faster then the brushless on 2s though. It can use 3s But i would think you would need to upgrade slipp at that point. I also upgraded a granite mega to a blx100 and upgraded the slipper. That is substantially faster.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back