Granite Slipper pad for Yeti conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
I didn't get the metal slipper pads when I ordered the parts for the Yeti conversion. Is there going to be an issue if I go with these?

20180715_134205.jpg

I can't answer your question, but I will counter with one of my own: what did you use for the inner spacer/shim?

I can't answer your question, but I will counter with one of my own: what did you use for the inner spacer/shim?

I gave up on the project. I couldn't get everything tight. But what I used in place of Jerry's original strip of aluminum was the inside of one of the stock bearings. I just pulled the bearing apart. I had replaced all of the bearings with sealed ones so I had all the stock bearings to work with.
20180715_191841.jpg
20180715_191849.jpg
20180715_191912.jpg

When you buy your gear get new bearings too, 10x15x4. Take the old ones apart and use the inner race. You need to drill the spur just a little bit and the race will snap right in. I used the other bearing as a spacer and two washers. Works great. Also I used the aluminum slipper pad on both sides of the spur, even with a 4s pack no slipping.

I just trashed my truck at probably 45mph, hit a car tire......I'll post all the parts I used when I brake it down. Once you get the spacers right it's actually pretty easy mod.

I used that clutch and have no issues. try using a granite slipper for the other side, just dremel off the part that sticks out and cut it down a bit. Beats those washers and its an idea ive been thinking about for some time now but was too lazy to pull it all apart. don't give up!

Seems like that pad would work. I don't' like the Yeti aluminum pads, they have galled up the slipper hub pretty bad.

Also, I agree with the "Don't use the aluminum can spacer" Mine failed pretty quick. I agree easiest would be to use a inner race from a 10x4x15 bearing, and drill the spur a bit to get it to fit. If you don't want to drill the spur, I have also uses some 24g / .018" SS plate (available at hobby and craft stores) and cut a spacer similar to the aluminum spiral, but just a single layer. Works, but I think I like the bearing for easy building.

I need to rebuild my slipper again. This build I want to use two slipper hubs, fiber slipper disks, and the bearing race as a spacer.

I actually got everything together last night and installed it in my Senton. The hardest part was setting the gear mesh. My motor mount looks like hell as I drilled the hell out of it trying to find the right mounting point. It's ugly but it works, lol. Now that I know what I'm doing, I'll do a better job on my Granite.

The pinion gear doesn’t fit through the hole in the motor mount so I attached it to the motor after the motor was in place. Did any of you guy just make the motor mount opening bigger by dremeling it?

Seems like that pad would work. I don't' like the Yeti aluminum pads, they have galled up the slipper hub pretty bad.

Also, I agree with the "Don't use the aluminum can spacer" Mine failed pretty quick. I agree easiest would be to use a inner race from a 10x4x15 bearing, and drill the spur a bit to get it to fit. If you don't want to drill the spur, I have also uses some 24g / .018" SS plate (available at hobby and craft stores) and cut a spacer similar to the aluminum spiral, but just a single layer. Works, but I think I like the bearing for easy building.

I need to rebuild my slipper again. This build I want to use two slipper hubs, fiber slipper disks, and the bearing race as a spacer.

This spur might be an option: https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDHAM It is 57T and you have to drill the middle to make the hole larger. But what is nice is that the stock slipper pads will right in it. Same shape.

F5B2DDA1-4394-4334-92C9-875CF99A2B34.jpeg
05D3E81C-F332-4A46-8D54-FEA039E1F37D.jpeg

No good on the pads. I put the 32P assembly into my Granite and ran it on 3s. Went like a bat out of hell for about 5 minutes and then the clutch started slipping like crazy. Brought it inside to inspect. The slipper hub and the red shaft were blazing hot. Got it apart and the Yeti spur is melted. The pads are also pretty worn for a 5 minute run. I’m pretty bummed. I have another Yeti spur and the aluminum pads you use. I’m going to try that. It may be it’s just too much gear for a 1410-3800Kv motor on 3s.

Put in the aluminum slipper pads and tested it out in my Granite (3800Kv/3s). Everything help up fine. Ran it until I hit thermal shutdown on the engine. It will wheelie at almost any speed. I tried a couple of speed runs with an old iPhone tie wrapped to the roof. The only stretch of road I felt comfortable going WOT on runs uphill. To my surprise, I could only hit 33.7 mph. Maybe on a level surface and without the added weight of the old iPhone and case it would have been 36 or 37, but that is still a lot slower than I thought it was going to be. Doesn't the Granite with a brushed motor and the 27t pinion do 30? How can I only be 4 mph faster?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back