Slipper pads. So yeah. Now on several months of running.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freelander

Frankenstein 3S
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. BigRock 4x4
  3. Granite
  4. Typhon 3s
The times we have changed spur gears and maintained the slipper clutch assembly in our trucks we've been reusing these things and flipping them because there are let's say clear black marks and stuff on them.

What are the signs performance wise of worn clutch pads?

I am certain they are long overdue to be replaced. They could be burnt and glazed and slipping more than they should? Is this why it seems like the clutch has gradually become looser over a couple months?

Seems like I want to tighten the clutch but I dunno if ambient temperature ~0°c affects this poop.

You wouldn't think so. Bet they warm up quick.

Do I need to replace these?

Seems like it's harder to wheelie but also ambient temps mean the pads might slip more and the tires are definitely less grippy.

It's only a couple of bucks so I don't see why not. @Freelander, have you been to Lisgar go? It is a 5min drive from my house with a 275m long parking lot. I will walk there to see how big it is and if there are lots of cars there.
It looks like a big ass parking lot to be sure. Train service looks limited to weekday rush hour.

The times we have changed spur gears and maintained the slipper clutch assembly in our trucks we've been reusing these things and flipping them because there are let's say clear black marks and stuff on them.

What are the signs performance wise of worn clutch pads?

I am certain they are long overdue to be replaced. They could be burnt and glazed and slipping more than they should? Is this why it seems like the clutch has gradually become looser over a couple months?

Seems like I want to tighten the clutch but I dunno if ambient temperature ~0°c affects this poop.

You wouldn't think so. Bet they warm up quick.

Do I need to replace these?

Seems like it's harder to wheelie but also ambient temps mean the pads might slip more and the tires are definitely less grippy.
Upgrade to the metal spur gear with metal pads and you wont have to worry for a loooooong time HEHE

Slipper clutches just need much maintenance. Neglecting them, then feeling they let you down is silly. Slipper pads and plates wear out. They are consumables. A friction part. Like a clutch on a scale car. 🤷‍♂️ Keep fresh pads on hand. Plates also if they get worn out from neglect.
Overlooked much by many until there is a problem. They glaze out easily in the wet and dirt. Never get any grease or oil on them!!! Many love to soak their rigs in WD40. Get it on the slipper, and that is a disaster waiting to happen.
They can be freshened up with sandpaper to remove some of the glazing that occurs once or twice if they are not worn out completely.
A slipper clutch should slip smoothly and not hesitate or buck. Or it may not do its job well, preventing Drivetrain damage.
:cool:

Slipper clutches just need much maintenance. Neglecting them, then feeling they let you down is silly. Slipper pads and plates wear out. They are consumables. A friction part. Like a clutch on a scale car. 🤷‍♂️ Keep fresh pads on hand. Plates also if they get worn out from neglect.
Overlooked much by many until there is a problem. They glaze out easily in the wet and dirt. Never get any grease or oil on them!!! Many love to soak their rigs in WD40. Get it on the slipper, and that is a disaster waiting to happen.
They can be freshened up with sandpaper to remove some of the glazing that occurs once or twice if they are not worn out completely.
A slipper clutch should slip smoothly and not hesitate or buck. Or it may not do its job well, preventing Drivetrain damage.
:cool:
Good info! 👍

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back