Slipper Possibly Too Tight?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Fireteam
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Mojave
  7. Senton 3s
  8. Typhon 3s
Hey guys, I have a new Senton 550 Mega V3. After running through only three 2S lipo packs the stock motor burned out. I threw in a spare 15T 550 motor I had laying around just for test purposes. After about 30 mins of driving on the replacement motor, it too is starting to now give off a burnt smell. The motor isn't fully burned out yet, but the smell says it's heading that way very soon. I've been poking around to see if there is any binding going on. If I hold the truck in the car and give it throttle, then let go all of the wheels stop very abruptly...not sure if thats normal or not. Also, I can move the driveshaft freely by hand, but it does take a bit of effort/force. I've never touched the slipper clutch since it came out the box. Could an overly tight slipper be causing my motor issues? I'm already aware that the general consensus here is that the stock 550 motors are trash, but I still would like to adjust the slipper if it's causing driveline issues. I have a Titan 12T 550 that will be delivered tmrw that I plan on installing, but once/if that burns up then I will definitely be going the brushless route with this thing.

You never mentioned the Gear mesh (Spur and pinion)

If too tight, drivetrain binding at this point results. This will tax the motor very much.
What you smell are the brushes getting super hot from binding. The Titan is no better or worse than the Stocker motor. All brushed motors will wear out much sooner than BLX. But Brushed motors are very cheap to replace when the Brushes are worn beyond use. Brushed motors need to be cleaned out and a drop of oil placed at both Brass Oilite bushings. Brush dust from use ( normal) needs to flushed out with an electrical contact spray ( Lectro-Motive spray from most auto parts stores) frequentlycleaning for best longevity and performance. Common with any Brushed motor.
Slipper looseness setting has no bearing on your issue. You may have bent the motor mount from a crash etc. This can alter the gear mesh alone.

Last edited:
my senton mega burned up just using 2s check temps , loosen the slipper and check your wheel bearings
Seems none of the Megas really like 2S 😤
You never mentioned the Gear mesh (Spur and pinion)

If too tight, drivetrain binding at this point results. This will tax the motor very much.
What you smell are the brushes getting super hot from binding. The Titan is no better or worse than the Stocker motor. All brushed motors will wear out much sooner than BLX. But Brushed motors are very cheap to replace when the Brushes are worn beyond use. Brushed motors need to be cleaned out and a drop of oil placed at both Brass Oilite bushings. Brush dust from use ( normal) needs to flushed out with an electrical contact spray ( Lectro-Motive spray from most auto parts stores) frequentlycleaning for best longevity and performance. Common with any Brushed motor.
Slipper looseness setting has no bearing on your issue. You may have bent the motor mount from a crash etc. This can alter the gear mesh alone.
Thanks for the information! This truck has only been ran about 4 times in an open field with dirt and very low grass & never crashed, so nothing should be bent. When I opened up the trans to put in the new motor the gear mesh looked fine, I didn't see any metal shavings or melted teeth. When I put the motor back I made sure there was just enough slack as to where hothe gear mesh wasn't too tight. I ordered a heat sink and fan to go along with the Titan, when I open it back up to install the Titan I'll have another look at the gear mesh. I also may swing by my LHS and let them have a look at it. Once this Titan bites the dust I'm taking the brushless route.

EDIT: On second thought, this particular motor may be getting due to a bad gear mesh. If I remember correctly, the shaft on the new can I put in is shorter than the stock shaft, so the pinion gear is not 100% fully contacting/meshing with the spur. It also makes a bit of a whining noise when I drive it.

Last edited:
All I have to add since others covered most issues is pull the driveshaft and see if there’s any binding at the wheels (bearings). If so, new wheel bearings may be needed. If you’ve run in any damp/wet this could be the case.

All I have to add since others covered most issues is pull the driveshaft and see if there’s any binding at the wheels (bearings). If so, new wheel bearings may be needed. If you’ve run in any damp/wet this could be the case.
Thanks, I'll add the check list. Ironically, I've owned two Amazon hobby grade r/c cars for almost a year now and I've beat on those things like crazy without any issues from either one.

Look at my response to your post on the Corally forums, there is nothing wrong with the truck it is just the nature of those cheap sealed can brushed motors and you will never get them to last very long in anything 4x4.

Look at my response to your post on the Corally forums, there is nothing wrong with the truck it is just the nature of those cheap sealed can brushed motors and you will never get them to last very long in anything 4x4.
After my research and experiences, I believe you're absolutely right. Once this Titan motor goes (which I'm certain it will), I'm gonna just commit to the brushless conversion.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back