Kraton Slipping diff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pablo1980

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
Hi, not sure if you can seen in the picture but the cog seems abit worn, would this cause the diff to slip. Its the rear diff out of the first batch of EXB's its been shimmed to prevent the known issues on these but i was out with it a while ago and it was making a grinding noise from the rear diff but i can only see this small amount of wear everything else in the diff is fine
IMG_20210330_130009.jpg

Do you think that would be coverd under the warranty

Nope nothing in the cup that i can see, i did change my pinion up to a 20t and it was the first time using it so not sure if that would of caused anything

Nope nothing in the cup that i can see, i did change my pinion up to a 20t and it was the first time using it so not sure if that would of caused anything
No that wouldn't do anything except adding a little more pressure on the diffs on quick throttle bursts.

Was there still a fair about of fluid in the diff cups? I have never seen gears chip like that. I've seen them break and pins snap but not chip.

There was still abit in there, i am due to rip it down and give it a service tho so maybe that was the course of it, ive spoken to the company i bought the car from and they said it should be covered under warranty as its from the first batch of EXB's

There was still abit in there, i am due to rip it down and give it a service tho so maybe that was the course of it, ive spoken to the company i bought the car from and they said it should be covered under warranty as its from the first batch of EXB's
Awesome, that's great news, maybe check the centre and front too?
Have you got photos of the rest of the gears? A grinding noise is not good, was there a lot of metal shavings in the oil?

Thats what i was expecting is lots if metal shavings but there was nothing, im going to give the whole car a once over and change the oils. The smaller gears in the diff(cant remember what there called, lol) have a few dent marks but thats it.
When i was using the car it looked like it was losing the power to the back wheels as well which makes sense now i know the diff is knackered.

Just another quick question do any of you guys use locktite on the screws on the diff case

Hi, not sure if you can seen in the picture but the cog seems abit worn, would this cause the diff to slip. Its the rear diff out of the first batch of EXB's its been shimmed to prevent the known issues on these but i was out with it a while ago and it was making a grinding noise from the rear diff but i can only see this small amount of wear everything else in the diff is fine View attachment 135834
It’s a write off. Best to buy a new complete diff. I wouldn’t use many of the internals or cup again. They could be hiding chunks for that old gear and damage a new set.

You mentioned that you shimmed it. What size and how many did you use? You need the @BashingBrian 12x18 shim solution, not the extra shims behind the sun gear.

Got an email from wheelspin models today where i bought my EXB from and they got an email from horizon hobbies saying they are sending me a new set of gears under warranty, happy days,😃

Ive recieved my rear diff gears the other day through the warranty, im now in the middle of assembling it back together. Im trying to make sense of the info and shims they have sent me, and im right in thinking the two black shims are to replace the old original shims and the thick shim is all of the ones in the picture showing the service pack shims

16176399078602075081558621302582.jpg

Ive recieved my rear diff gears the other day through the warranty, im now in the middle of assembling it back together. Im trying to make sense of the info and shims they have sent me, and im right in thinking the two black shims are to replace the old original shims and the thick shim is all of the ones in the picture showing the service pack shims

View attachment 137391
Thick one replaces the LSD plates

Ive fitted it all back now the way it shows, it doesn't feel as smooth as the centre and front diff but not sure if its due to not having the lsd plates in it but time will tell if its worked or not

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back