Slipping pinion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peaks

Reaction score
Hi guys. Just wondering if anyone has come across the same issue?

The rear pinion is slipping against the diff.

I initially shimmed (only the push pinion further in to housing,and at side of diff to push further in). Still happened. One of the teeth in pinion broken so replaced. Tried new differential. And now have just replaced the whole diff housing. And still happening.

Am I missing something?
Typhon v5 6s

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the 6s line but thought I'd let you know that the video isn't appearing.

_20220328_074552.png

Are the input pinion bearings on both sides of the case still good? I would check those first. Also check the case for any cracks. If in doubt buy a whole unit from Jenny’s and replace the whole thing

What engineer said. I literally just went through this. The bearing inside the case was seized. Mine sounded identical to yours.
This bearing
BALL BEARING 8x19x6mm
Id change the outer bearing( BALL BEARING 8x19x6mm) as well while you have it torn apart

Have you shimmed the pinion so it is making good contact with the ring gear? You basically have to shim it to set your mesh properly on the ring and pinion. It should have just a tiny bit of lash, like setting the mesh between your pinion and spur.

Show us your diff case and cover. Definitely change those bearings. I'd just do a bearing kit and do the whole truck.

Man thanks guys.

I noticed the back metal suspension mount was warped. I've stripped and straightened, and for now at least it's working.

Got to say its so amazing having help and hand. Thank you.

Are the input pinion bearings on both sides of the case still good? I would check those first. Also check the case for any cracks. If in doubt buy a whole unit from Jenny’s and replace the whole thing
Thanks man. Yeah it was a new housing with new bearings. I can't really explain how straightening the mount would work

Thanks man. Yeah it was a new housing with new bearings. I can't really explain how straightening the mount would work
Did any of the screws holding the cover on not seat properly? If the cover isn’t aligned and evenly tightened or the cover isn’t fitting on quite right the diff will move under load amd destroy the ring and pinion.

Check your gear lash between the pinion and the gear. How is the mesh? If you take it off the chassis so you can see the bottom, is The pinion meshing properly with the ring gear? You may have to shim the pinion On one side or the other of the bearing to get proper alignment and a good mesh.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back