Sloppy steering on Kraton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAGLELITE

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
ive had this kraton for a year and a half. The front steering keeps getting sloppy. Left and right has slop. Tried every thing in the book to tighten ,,shim. Still have left and right slop. Can’t get it tightened.is a normal trait with these units. Or is there a way to eliminate the play. Put fast Freddie bearings. I also have in and out play in the axles. Drive me crazy! Anyone else have this issue? Thanks guys.

What do you mean by right and left slop. Do you mean when you are turning or do you mean when it is in the neutral position.

Yeah,, it’s when it’s sitting still,,,like when I’m working on it. There’s just a lot of side to side play and the wheels can be pushed in and out . I shimmed the in and out,,,helped some. I’m more concerned about the side to side play,,,I’ve tried everything to tighten it up to no avail....would tightening up the Servo saver make any difference?
Thanks for the comeback,,appreciate it..TAZZZZ
PS,,,,there is no play at all in the ball joints,,,there new,,,no play in any connections,,,driving me crazy.....

Last edited:
If you hold the "tie rod" solid does the wheel still have a lot of play? The best upgrade I think for my outcast was new bearing. If it's still loose when you hold the rod then it has to be on the wheel knuckle assembly. Most likely in the bearings.

I just put a set of fast Freddie’s bearings,,,no problem there. Holding the tie rod does stop it. When I let go the slop returns...everything connected is tight. If I slightly turn the wheel manually,,response is right There to the other side. But wiggling the wheel,,,it’s just has a a lot of give moving left and right. Do you think it’s in the steering rack? I ordered one as a last resort......we’ll see how that goes I guess. Thanks again....TAZZZZ

I wouldn't tighten up the servo saver to much cause next in line is gears. I made that mistake already. it might help tho. Let me know what you come up with!!

I think the outcast/kraton are supposed to have a little slop/play. Less parts break this way.... they are bashers!

Did you replace the brass bushings on the steering posts with bearings? If yes, maybe one or more has failed, making backlash? If not, maybe the bushings are worn?

I recently discovered that you can put bearings also in the steering plate, 4x7x2.5mm, but since my stock plate keeps bending not gonna waste them on it.

Where did u get those bearings from ?thanx
These 6x10x3 bearings are a good upgrade, as Arrma vehicles only come stock with bushings in the steering assembly. You can also get these bearings in Fast Eddy bearing kits available for all Arrma vehicles. It works out to only $1 a bearing. Good idea to also get some shims at the same time, as this will also help with some steering play/looseness.

I have a ton of slop in my steering as well. Holding the tie rod and the wheel itself is solid, the slop seems to be in the upper/lower arms. While this does bother me, the kraton moves fairly straight and doesn't seem to affect the performance at all. Wondering if you were able to correct the issue, or is it still present?

I have a ton of slop in my steering as well. Holding the tie rod and the wheel itself is solid, the slop seems to be in the upper/lower arms. While this does bother me, the kraton moves fairly straight and doesn't seem to affect the performance at all. Wondering if you were able to correct the issue, or is it still present?
I also have a lot of play on the front end of both my V3 Kraton & Talion. This play seems to be an Arrma design with the steering blocks and the pillow ball front suspension, so not a lot we can do. The good thing, is this extra play like you said does not seem to affect the driveability and straight line performance. You may want to check your red aluminum front hub nuts, as sometimes you can tighten these up a bit and take some of the front end slop out. However, do not over tighten these, or front end will be too tight and steering will be too hard to turn. I usually remove the steering turnbuckles, so it is much easier to ensure the steering still turns smoothly as you tighten these red nuts. I usually tighten them until steering becomes too tight, then loosen them up about 1/8" of a turn, until smooth again. Also check to ensure your lower pivot balls have not backed out, as mine did. I used some teflon tape on the threads and hope this will work. Also check to make sure you do not need any suspension arm spacers, as sometimes the arms can have some play at either the upper and lower hinge pins. Hope this helps.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back