Sloppy steering on Kraton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also have a lot of play on the front end of both my V3 Kraton & Talion. This play seems to be an Arrma design with the steering blocks and the pillow ball front suspension, so not a lot we can do. The good thing, is this extra play like you said does not seem to affect the driveability and straight line performance. You may want to check your red aluminum front hub nuts, as sometimes you can tighten these up a bit and take some of the front end slop out. However, do not over tighten these, or front end will be too tight and steering will be too hard to turn. I usually remove the steering turnbuckles, so it is much easier to ensure the steering still turns smoothly as you tighten these red nuts. I usually tighten them until steering becomes too tight, then loosen them up about 1/8" of a turn, until smooth again. Also check to ensure your lower pivot balls have not backed out, as mine did. I used some teflon tape on the threads and hope this will work. Also check to make sure you do not need any suspension arm spacers, as sometimes the arms can have some play at either the upper and lower hinge pins. Hope this helps.
Exactly correct...do this, get bearings, shims and the VH steering brace.

Exactly correct...do this, get bearings, shims and the VH steering brace.
Yes, I agree, change the stock steering bushings to bearings and also shim the steering bellcrank will make the steering smoother & possibly help tighten up the steering a bit (shims actually help more with the up & down play in the bellcrank). Do you mean the steering RACK (AR340060)? This is a good upgrade if you are bending it. However, I believe Cordell was concerned about the slop in the front end (suspension arms), which is different.

I just put a set of fast Freddie’s bearings,,,no problem there. Holding the tie rod does stop it. When I let go the slop returns...everything connected is tight. If I slightly turn the wheel manually,,response is right There to the other side. But wiggling the wheel,,,it’s just has a a lot of give moving left and right. Do you think it’s in the steering rack? I ordered one as a last resort......we’ll see how that goes I guess. Thanks again....TAZZZZ

I don't kno what your driving style is but I bent my steering rack and it caused the same problems you are having. Just thought I'd throw it out there I put my stock 1 in a vice and straightened it out but also ordered the 2 voltage hobbies steering racks. Shout out to rich dupperbash for the idea but I'd check that first then check your servo saver may b to loose.
20180325_171105.jpg

I don't kno what your driving style is but I bent my steering rack and it caused the same problems you are having. Just thought I'd throw it out there I put my stock 1 in a vice and straightened it out but also ordered the 2 voltage hobbies steering racks. Shout out to rich dupperbash for the idea but I'd check that first then check your servo saver may b to loose.View attachment 17135
Wow, that's bent. Was this from just too much air, or was it a bad landing too? I agree, Voltage Hobbies is definitely your best choice here. Was this on your Kraton or Outcast?

That is off the outcast I think it happened from a hard landing passages side wheel down but I lost alot of the swing in my steering even though I have a savox 1210 in it. Straightened out works and steering came back. Waiting on all the voltage parts I ordered.

I have the German (ebay) cf steering rack with its bigger bearing holes and it has been working like a charm.

Too bad those pillow balls aren't exactly round. Setting them up in one position might not be enough.

I have the German (ebay) cf steering rack with its bigger bearing holes and it has been working like a charm.

Too bad those pillow balls aren't exactly round. Setting them up in one position might not be enough.
Cool, who makes the German carbon fiber steering rack? Do you have any other c/f parts (shock towers, top plate, etc)? Bummer, if it uses larger bearings, as I already have (2) 4x7x2.5mm bearings ready to install. I gather the Voltage Hobbies & GKA steering racks still use the same size bearings as Arrma's bushings, just in case I do bend the stock one?

Cool, who makes the German carbon fiber steering rack? Do you have any other c/f parts (shock towers, top plate, etc)? Bummer, if it uses larger bearings, as I already have (2) 4x7x2.5mm bearings ready to install. I gather the Voltage Hobbies & GKA steering racks still use the same size bearings as Arrma's bushings, just in case I do bend the stock one?

I got cf towers & the rack from maxspeedparts.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back