SMART batteries auto-detecting 12A charge rate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
I picked up a some 3s 5000mah (100C and 50C) SMART batteries and the smart charger. The charges set the batteries at 12A upon first plug-in. Did you think it auto detected the battery charge rate correctly? I’ve since changed it to 5A to be safe. But if can charge at 12A safely, I’d definitely take the shorter charge times.

I picked up a some 3s 5000mah (100C and 50C) SMART batteries and the smart charger. The charges set the batteries at 12A upon first plug-in. Did you think it auto detected the battery charge rate correctly? I’ve since changed it to 5A to be safe. But if can charge at 12A safely, I’d definitely take the shorter charge times.
Nah man no shot. Many packs claim a “2C” max charge rate (10 amps in your case) and the battery will take it, but man it eats away at the life hard. That’s a very fast charge rate. 12 amps though? Nah man, in my opinion, no way. Maybe I’m stuck in the past on this, but in my experience, after a 1C charge rate (5 amps in your case) battery life expectancy severely decreases.

My only guess on the reason they say that is to get you coming back to buy more batteries sooner than later to be honest.

Nah man no shot. Many packs claim a “2C” max charge rate (10 amps in your case) and the battery will take it, but man it eats away at the life hard. That’s a very fast charge rate. 12 amps though? Nah man, in my opinion, no way. Maybe I’m stuck in the past on this, but in my experience, after a 1C charge rate (5 amps in your case) battery life expectancy severely decreases.

My only guess on the reason they say that is to get you coming back to buy more batteries sooner than later to be honest.
interesting. good info. i have some 'smart' batteries too. thanks for the explanation

interesting. good info. i have some 'smart' batteries too. thanks for the explanation
No prob. I also wanna clarify, when I said
after a 1C charge rate (5 amps in your case) battery life expectancy severely decreases.
I meant to say, charging up to 1C is fine, but as soon as you surpass that charge rate, battery life expectancy severely decreases. I see you guys knew what I meant but I’m clarifying for future onlookers. Also, I’ve never used spectrum batteries. Maybe they have some magical ingredients that let them charge super fast without wearing?

noob question.. sorry.. for example a 5200 Mah I can charge at 7.8 amps? is that right?
Yeah, as long as the pack says it can charge higher than 1C. If it specifically says 1C charge rate, never go above 1C.
And to be honest the only time I charge at 1.5C is when I’m in a rush.

its at 80C so im good right? Thank you gave me time back to go bashing instead of staring at the charger...lol

Most of the 'Smart' batteries are advertised at 3C charge rate. You should be fine, assuming that is what your battery states.
Most people, incl. myself prefer the 1C rule but these are spec'd to perform while our typical cheapos have no such statement.

Just make sure that your batteries are at ambient temps before you charge and not hot from a hard run.

I always charge at 1C but also have multiple chargers, can't speak for smart lipos because I don't use them. I'll take longevity over fast charging every time.

these are the batteries i have, i normally set the amps to 5.0, but its safe to set the Zeee at 7.8?

sorry again for the noob questions

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08696WZMK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Spektrum-500...s&qid=1599017248&s=electronics&sr=1-1-catcorr

No it's not. These are supposed to be 1C max charge rate.
The supplier answered in the comments on Amazon:
Hi, the safest charge rate is 0.5-1C. By ZEEE POWER Direct

Ok . I'll keep charging them at 1c. Thank you..i learned something new..lol

Some brands specify 5C charging rate, so it wouldnt be that crazy that Sprektrum batteries charge at 2.4C.

That makes sense. I have the spektrum charger and have noticed quicker charge..

I have the 4x Spektrum 3S 5000mah and it jumped up like that to 12A out the box...but I set them to charge at 1.5C, 7.5A as most posted here I am never in a rush so I really can do 1C. Its the Spektrum 2100 dual charger so at 2x batteries, I can get 7.5A on both sides....about 35-45min both to be charged at the 1.5C. If I increase that number the dual charger will have one side faster and the other side slower....I like it they both finish within minutes of each other.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back