Smart batteries.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettjun

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
What’s the opinion on the spektrum smart batteries from people. I have a 5000mah 100c. Yesterday when I went to change mine after about an hour of bashing. I noticed the sides had a expanded quite a bit. It was also very very warm. I’m worried it will get worse and cause damage and the thing isn’t even 6 months old yet.

One of the causes of LiPo’s puffing up is over discharging. If you were bashing for an hour, it sounds like your LVC is set too low on your ESC and you need to raise that up or else you will continue to damage packs. Don’t continue to run the car when LVC hits either.

Agreed, Completely over discharged, what were the cell voltage values when you were done?
Anything load below 3.6V(resting) will result in swelling.

The SMART lipos are marginal in performance and are expensive, but they are great for beginners.
They will warn you, but you have to recognize the warning where the rig goes into half power mode etc.
Typical run time is ~15-20 min on medium use, 10-015min on full blast most of the time.
All depends on surface and driving style, but 1h is not possible without damage.
They are still ok to use, but probably have less capacity now and will be at low point a lot quicker.

Spektrum= overpriced JUNK

schitts creek lol GIF by CBC

For what they charge for just their charger you can buy a better charger off Amazon and have money left over to buy batteries.

Their batteries are highly overpriced and over specked, not as bad as Maxamps though, real world testing has the Spektrum 100c lipos at a true c rate of 20c what is even worse is the fact that the 50c lipos have the same true c rate...........

Last edited:
Spektrum= overpriced JUNK
^^^ This.
That lipo is on its last leg. Sorry.
Get someting better than Spektrum lipos. Not hard to do. Because most other lipos are better and cost way less. Don't get sucked into the whole Spektrum Smart ECO B.S..
User error. That pack may be ok for a while. Puffed packs technically should not be used further ( potential fire hazard), FWIW. Pack Performance is below par now, and this can affect the second pack if running tandem packs. And also, you only want to run identical tandem packs, cycled together every time.
Once LVC hits and your rig goes into Limp mode ( slow running @ 50% power), you MUST swap out to another set of lipos.
Continuing to run until the rig stops in its tracks is Wrong... hence a puffed lipo.
Live and learn. Hopefully with info in hand, this wont happen again.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back