Smashed 3s Lipo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hdubb502

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
H All,

So one of my batteries got smashed today. Rough landing and the cartwheels began. The battery mount on the chassis broke and the battery was beat to crap. That was the only thing that broke. I expected way more damage. I strapped the battery back in and bashed a little longer. The battery is less than three months old. My question is the battery a total loss?
If it's a hazard I will take it to be disposed of properly.

Thanks for your knowledge.

Attachments

• Smased 3S Lipo.jpg
    Smased 3S Lipo.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 95
Is it bent really that badly or its just the label? Shot a pic of cells i have my lipos magled a bit so now i remove the baterry spacers and put foam instead hard impacts are really stressful for lipos because they cannot move
What would i do is bent it back streight hitting it on a smooth surface genly untly the cells get somewhat streight and look at the cell voltages and internal reissitance anf put them in a ammo box. But you are better off to get rid of it if its bended reslly that bad

Yikes ? she’s a goner IMO

Hook it up to a large DC fan and let it drain. Then short the leads and toss it in a bucket of salt water for a day. Then toss it in the trash. I had to do this two weeks ago for an Ovonics 3S that went all StayPuff on me.

My friend recently crashed my Senton, and deformed the (same) battery a bit at the end, but not nearly as bad. How much is too much, is a good question. I'd be interested to hear others with experience chime in.

If you have a Batteries Plus store you can have it disposed of there. I've taken a few myself that have puffed on me.
The last time I took some puffy single cells there to get disposed, they charged me $16 for it. Said they were supposed to charge that much per battery when they're damaged (puffed, torn etc.) While it's nice to be able to just drop them off, I think I'll go with the drain to 0v, short the leads and salt water bath, then garbage route from now on.

Looks like a fire hazzard waiting to happen!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back