SMC and amps??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinP

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Typhon 6s
So I've seen a lot of people recommending SMC batteries for Arrma vehicles all over the internet. However when I look at their website I get a little confused.

For example, this battery: https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_119&product_id=467
It states that the discharge is 90c. So 90*4.5= 405A. However the title of this battery says 135Amps/90C. What does this "135Amps" mean?

Thanks in advance!
Greets.

So I've seen a lot of people recommending SMC batteries for Arrma vehicles all over the internet. However when I look at their website I get a little confused.

For example, this battery: https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_119&product_id=467
It states that the discharge is 90c. So 90*4.5= 405A. However the title of this battery says 135Amps/90C. What does this "135Amps" mean?

Thanks in advance!
Greets.
Check out this page where they describe that exact thing. Basically C ratings all all overinflated hype used to sell but don't really mean anything.

https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/category&path=163

In simplified terms, C-rating is subjective and different from all companies and not a great way to measure them. He lists amp ratings so you can compare performance of the different batteries they offer regardless of the listed C-rating.

Direct from Danny at SMC:

In most part, C rate is directly related to the cell’s IR (internal resistance) and the mAh. Due to this practice, I created the True Spec Amp rating so all SMC True Spec packs have an Amp rating that is based off the cells IR and mAh. This way the customer can see which ones of our packs offer the best performance.

I get it, for the most part I guess. But as the BLX185 is 150A, will this battery be enough?
Or do I not understand it correctly, and is the True Spec Amp rating different from the C rating? Because 90*4.5= 405A (which is enough), and 135 amps (which is not enough).

Or is this True Spec Amp rating just used to distinguish SMC batteries with themselves, giving you a quick insight in which battery will ultimately give you the most Amps?
It's confusing as all other companies just use the C rating and I want to be sure before spending money on them.

Or is this True Spec Amp rating just used to distinguish SMC batteries with themselves, giving you a quick insight in which battery will ultimately give you the most Amps?
It's confusing as all other companies just use the C rating and I want to be sure before spending money on them.

It's this. He does this with his own offered products because C-ratings are so subjective between companies. He gives a static amp rating just so you can compare the batteries offered by SMC with a legitimate unit of measurement, not marketing fluff. Any of them will be fine on your BLX system as long as they are the recommended voltage. (i.e. 3s-6s)

I personally use the SMC true spec 4500mah 6s for bashing my talion, and the 7400mah 4s for racing on the track. Love em' both.

IMG_20190522_165242.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing but SMC here, run them in everything. Quit doubting and try one, you will not be disappointed!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back