SMC or Powerhobby???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Talion
I recently decided to change which lipo batteries and chargers I use. I used to use venom and I'm not very impressed with the performance of these for the prices. I have narrowed it down to two brands, SMC and Powerhobby. Does anybody have experience with one or both and can share some pros or cons?

I recently decided to change which lipo batteries and chargers I use. I used to use venom and I'm not very impressed with the performance of these for the prices. I have narrowed it down to two brands, SMC and Powerhobby. Does anybody have experience with one or both and can share some pros or cons?

Your charger doesn’t have to change. A good charger is a good charger irrespective of the brand of the battery you charge with it. That Venom charger is probably fine.

I am happy with Zeee batteries right now, although I plan to try a set of CNHL.

I have neither. I could be wrong, but SMC used to be the flavor of the month quite a while ago.. And not cheap FWIW.
Seems others are currently using different brands. CNHL being the latest.
Just curious about your reasons on SMC and PH.
There are so many. It will get you dizzy no doubt. :LOL:
I agree with @L3phturn, your Venom charger is probably fine. Focus on the lipo more. Unless you have a hole burning in your pocket of course.:LOL:
Or just want the latest charger out there just because.... if shopping, 2 line display chargers are considered old school to some. FWIW. Myself included.
:cool:

Last edited:
I just bought this SkyRC dual charger. Great price, Bluetooth connected, and the exact same as the HiTech version only cheaper.

0F742530-FFBE-4A23-AFF8-7769CBEF2CCF.jpeg

I use PH 5200 50c and 7200 100c they are close to a year old now not had no problems with them.

Your charger doesn’t have to change. A good charger is a good charger irrespective of the brand of the battery you charge with it. That Venom charger is probably fine.

I am happy with Zeee batteries right now, although I plan to try a set of CNHL.
Yes, I agree that a good charger does not have to change but I've had a venom pro duo for a couple of years now and I want something more powerful. I have looked into zee lipos I just wasn't sure about them because of their amazing prices.
I have neither. I could be wrong, but SMC used to be the flavor of the month quite a while ago.. And not cheap FWIW.
Seems others are currently using different brands. CNHL being the latest.
Just curious about your reasons on SMC and PH.
There are so many. It will get you dizzy no doubt. :LOL:
I agree with @L3phturn, your Venom charger is probably fine. Focus on the lipo more. Unless you have a hole burning in your pocket of course.:LOL:
Or just want the latest charger out there just because.... if shopping, 2 line display chargers are considered old school to some. FWIW. Myself included.
:cool:
Yeah, you got it right about the charger I just want something newer and more powerful. As for the batteries I want SMC and Powerhobby because I know some people personally who have really good luck with power hobby and for SMC, my hobby shop uses their new true spec extreme graphene v2 batteries, and those things have a lot of punch.
SMC<Any other Lipo...

I only have bought 2, but both died in less than a dozen runs...
I will keep that in mind they seem to be very inconsistent because some people I've seen had them forever but then others are similar to you, thanks 👍
Really like my spektrum batteries.
ErockPzyk, I have seen the spectrum batteries and they look really neat! However, I use xt-90 connectors on all of my rigs and those will not work with the smart batteries and I'm not sure if I need all the smart benefits.
I just bought this SkyRC dual charger. Great price, Bluetooth connected, and the exact same as the HiTech version only cheaper.

View attachment 130063

L3phturn, Nice Man! I've seen those chargers around a couple of times and they look pretty decent 👍

I also saw you got some backflip Lp's, I love those tires they go perfect on my talion 6s 😀

View attachment 130063

L3phturn, Nice Man! I've seen those chargers around a couple of times and they look pretty decent 👍

I also saw you got some backflip Lp's, I love those tires they go perfect on my talion 6s 😀
I use PH 5200 50c and 7200 100c they are close to a year old now not had no problems with them.
Nice! My friend uses those packs as well and hasn't had any problems with them either. I might pick up a 2s pack for my slash 4x4 vxl and big rock v3!
I will keep ya'll updated 😁

Last edited:
In terms of your Venom charger - why do you want more power? As long as you can charge at 1C for all of your batteries while charging two at once, you don't need more power. More current isn't better unless you can use it. Now if you can only charge at 5 amps maximum while charging two at a time, and you have batteries that are higher than 5,000 mAh, then you could benefit from a charger that can put out up to 10 amps to both channels simultaneously.

There are two things I like about this SkyRC charger. First, it has bluetooth connectivity and a smartphone app - so I can get more details and alerts from my phone. I can also select the charging program and options in the app, which is great. Second, the app lets you put battery stats and the program to charge them in and will print out a QR code that you can put on your battery so that you can scan it with your phone and it will automatically select the right charge settings and program. I like it as a way to help prevent mistakes and then I can just verify/check before I start charging. I haven't dug into it yet, but I'm hoping I can use that to track the charges/discharges or cycles on each battery.

https://www.skyrc.com/D100_v2_Charger

I've puffed a Powerhobby, and cell one is dying in my SMC. Both 6s. I have bad luck/suck at lipo's though.

Forgot to add, both brands have been great otherwise for me. Nice and powerful.

Last edited:
I've puffed a Powerhobby, and cell one is dying in my SMC. Both 6s. I have bad luck/suck at lipo's though.

You should review your charging/discharging/storage practices. When you charge, do you always balance charge? Do you always charge to 4.2v? From the time you fully charge the batteries, how long is it before you run them or discharge them? Do you run to LVC when you run your rigs, and when you stop and check cell voltages, what are they? What is LVC set to on your rigs?

You should review your charging/discharging/storage practices. When you charge, do you always balance charge? Do you always charge to 4.2v? From the time you fully charge the batteries, how long is it before you run them or discharge them? Do you run to LVC when you run your rigs, and when you stop and check cell voltages, what are they? What is LVC set to on your rigs?

I really try to pay attention to this. Always 4.20 or less, I've played around just going to 4.18/4.19. Always use charged batteries within 24 hours. I run a lipo checker in all my rigs and generally just quit right around storage voltage. Occasionally I'll run them down to 3.70. After a run I either recharge or charge for storage within 24 hours.

All of my rigs are fairly overpowered. I have to wonder if im just pulling too many amps? Maybe running too tall gearing? I have good cooling in all of my rigs so I tend to push them fairly hard in that regard.

I appreciate the feedback!

In terms of your Venom charger - why do you want more power? As long as you can charge at 1C for all of your batteries while charging two at once, you don't need more power. More current isn't better unless you can use it. Now if you can only charge at 5 amps maximum while charging two at a time, and you have batteries that are higher than 5,000 mAh, then you could benefit from a charger that can put out up to 10 amps to both channels simultaneously.

There are two things I like about this SkyRC charger. First, it has bluetooth connectivity and a smartphone app - so I can get more details and alerts from my phone. I can also select the charging program and options in the app, which is great. Second, the app lets you put battery stats and the program to charge them in and will print out a QR code that you can put on your battery so that you can scan it with your phone and it will automatically select the right charge settings and program. I like it as a way to help prevent mistakes and then I can just verify/check before I start charging. I haven't dug into it yet, but I'm hoping I can use that to track the charges/discharges or cycles on each battery.

https://www.skyrc.com/D100_v2_Charger

L3phturn,​

I might have worded it wrong earlier but I don't necessarily want more power because I charge all my batteries at 1c so they can last the longest. I just want something that can either charge more batteries, like the protek prodigy 610 quad, or something that will last longer because I've been through two venom pro duo chargers in 1 year and my current one only balances well through one of the channels. I don't know if I'm having bad luck or what but I just want something more reliable and long-term.

Link to the charger I'm looking at: https://www.amainhobbies.com/protek...v-lipo-ac-dc-battery-charger-ptk-8517/p488513

I really try to pay attention to this. Always 4.20 or less, I've played around just going to 4.18/4.19. Always use charged batteries within 24 hours. I run a lipo checker in all my rigs and generally just quit right around storage voltage. Occasionally I'll run them down to 3.70. After a run I either recharge or charge for storage within 24 hours.

All of my rigs are fairly overpowered. I have to wonder if im just pulling too many amps? Maybe running too tall gearing? I have good cooling in all of my rigs so I tend to push them fairly hard in that regard.

I appreciate the feedback!

Sounds like you are doing all the right things. It may be that you are drawing more amps than some of your batteries can handle. I wouldn’t say you need to change the trucks, but when you buy batteries you should be sure to get ones with a high C rating. Part of it is based on time and usage, if you puff a battery after 200 cycles it may just be at the end of its life, but if batteries are dying on you after 20 cycles that’s different. The batteries that puff or have a cell die early in their life are brands and models you should likely avoid.

L3phturn,​

I might have worded it wrong earlier but I don't necessarily want more power because I charge all my batteries at 1c so they can last the longest. I just want something that can either charge more batteries, like the protek prodigy 610 quad, or something that will last longer because I've been through two venom pro duo chargers in 1 year and my current one only balances well through one of the channels. I don't know if I'm having bad luck or what but I just want something more reliable and long-term.

Link to the charger I'm looking at: https://www.amainhobbies.com/protek...v-lipo-ac-dc-battery-charger-ptk-8517/p488513

Oh if it’s not working well for you then absolutely replace it. That looks like a good charger but I have no experience with it. I now have a single channel HiTech and my new dual SkyRC so I can do many more at once.

I would check your balance leads/boards as a bad connection or higher resistance on the balance lead will mean the charger isn’t reading voltages correctly per cell. Do you use any balance extensions?

One of the things I like about the Zeee batteries I have is that they have much more substantial/tougher balance leads and connectors than any of my other LiPos.

I've been using the Zeee 6S 6000mah 100c and the Lectron Pro 6S 6500mah 100c and love them both. Both have 2C charge rates (but I NEVER charge that fast...I charge both at around 5.5 Amps). Nice punch with both. The Lectron Pro is a nice size and fits nice and snug in the battery box. The Zeee are a little larger..they fit but hang out the back some (if size matters to you LOL) I highly recommend both. You can get the Zeee on Amazon in a 2 pack for a real good price. I'm looking to move up to some graphene batteries in the near future though.

I ordered Zeee 7200, 100c for my Kraton, 2 day has turned into 4- Prime stinks!. I got my son Zeee 5200, 100c for his Big Rock he has run truck a few times. Yesterday he ran truck for 27min. Could of kept going but was windy & chilly. I have a set of Hoovo in my cart 7200, 60c. $100 for 2. Read decent reviews on them? I was close to buying Spectrum but told about 18 min run times & honestly I’ll chance 2 for 1 in price. I know Spectrums good, but $400 vs $200🤔😉

batterie shopping / reading reviews is the worst🤦🏻‍♂️

Once you jump aboard the whole Spektrum Smart gear eco system way of doing things, the hobby has become substantially more expensive for you. And the lipos are just standard fair. A mixed bag like the rest. Great for guys that haven't a clue in the beginning???IDK. Or those that are rather lazy to understand and charge Lipo's the" UN Smart way". :unsure: Smart lipos need to be programmed to get the most out of them using the additional Spektrum lipo programmer etc. There is still room for error and safety liability. It is not that foolproof. IMHO

Oh if it’s not working well for you then absolutely replace it. That looks like a good charger but I have no experience with it. I now have a single channel HiTech and my new dual SkyRC so I can do many more at once.

I would check your balance leads/boards as a bad connection or higher resistance on the balance lead will mean the charger isn’t reading voltages correctly per cell. Do you use any balance extensions?

One of the things I like about the Zeee batteries I have is that they have much more substantial/tougher balance leads and connectors than any of my other LiPos.

L3phturn

Yes, I do not think It's the balance boards cause I have a ton of them and I switched them out and it still does not balance properly. I agree with what you said about the zee lipos, their balance lead does seem to be more sustained because I have had 2 of my balance leads gotten chewed up by my slash 4x4 before I started to put a rubber band around them, and the main connecter 😅
I've been using the Zeee 6S 6000mah 100c and the Lectron Pro 6S 6500mah 100c and love them both. Both have 2C charge rates (but I NEVER charge that fast...I charge both at around 5.5 Amps). Nice punch with both. The Lectron Pro is a nice size and fits nice and snug in the battery box. The Zeee are a little larger..they fit but hang out the back some (if size matters to you LOL) I highly recommend both. You can get the Zeee on Amazon in a 2 pack for a real good price. I'm looking to move up to some graphene batteries in the near future though.

@9G

I have been looking into the zeee batteries as well and their prices seem to be amazing! I might pick up the pack of 2x 2s zeee lipos on amazon and see how those work out. Yeah I wouldn't charge that fast either so my lipos can last longer 👍
I ordered Zeee 7200, 100c for my Kraton, 2 day has turned into 4- Prime stinks!. I got my son Zeee 5200, 100c for his Big Rock he has run truck a few times. Yesterday he ran truck for 27min. Could of kept going but was windy & chilly. I have a set of Hoovo in my cart 7200, 60c. $100 for 2. Read decent reviews on them? I was close to buying Spectrum but told about 18 min run times & honestly I’ll chance 2 for 1 in price. I know Spectrums good, but $400 vs $200🤔😉

batterie shopping / reading reviews is the worst🤦🏻‍♂️

BONES

😅 Yes, I completely agree! Shopping for and trying to find the best lipo batteries is a nightmare and almost made me want to switch to gas or nitro!

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back