Kraton Smc vs Turnigy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pulling more current than the batteries are designed for damages your batteries and makes them puff.

Got it. Prolly not experiencing this as I don't think I've ever given it full throttle or have run it super hard yet. Thx!!

I run SMC 3s 6700

Kraton does over 45mins. Of hard driving

Attachments

• IMG_3198.JPG
    IMG_3198.JPG
    523.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3201.JPG
    IMG_3201.JPG
    479.3 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3153.JPG
    IMG_3153.JPG
    328.3 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3154.JPG
    IMG_3154.JPG
    315.9 KB · Views: 71
Hi guys, so quick debate do I get the smc 9200mah
http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_119&product_id=467

Or do I get the turnigy 5000
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-battery-heavy-duty-5000mah-6s-60c-lipo-pack-xt-90.html

I'm more worried about the weight distribution than anything else. Or is there something better in 6s that will fit?
Thanks

If you're picking between those two batteries, get the SMC. I have that pack, and I get about 30 minutes run time with my Kraton on average. I usually run my batteries down to about 3.5 V per cell though.

SMC makes some of the best affordable Lipos you can buy.

If you're picking between those two batteries, get the SMC. I have that pack, and I get about 30 minutes run time with my Kraton on average. I usually run my batteries down to about 3.5 V per cell though.

Is there something better than these 2?

Another bsattery that seems to review good, for not too big of a price jump is the Turnigy Graphines. I have a pair of 2s 6000mah 90c packs that I run as a 4s, they are great.

Speaking of which - HK is having one of their big sale right now. Lots of batteries listed "on sale" but not marked down, maybe they will get marked down during the sale. For now, here is one deal -
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/graphene-5000mah-2s2p-hardcase-w-5mm-female-bullet-connector.html

I have the smc also 6700mah 3s 90c 145amps
smc rep said charge at 7amps

I get 45+ minutes from them I think I can get more if we didn't have to leave the park...this week ill try to run the car as long as I can hard and see how long smc last from full to zero

Is there something better than these 2?

I'm not aware of anything within the price range that offers comparable performance and reliability. Some folks have had success with the cheap, budget-brand Zippy lipos, but some folks haven't. Personally, I wouldn't invest money in them.

If you look around the forums enough, I think you'll see that the consensus is SMC and Turnigy for the best Lipos for the price.

Also, don't worry about the weight distribution. The Kraton is purposely set up to counter-balance the weight of the batteries on the one side of the chassis.

Keep in mind that instead of buying one 6S pack, you could buy two 3S packs. If you have a dual-charger, you can charge two 3S batteries faster than one 6S battery.

EDIT: Also, you can probably get more runtime from two 3S 6700 mAh packs than from that 5000 mAh Turnigy pack you were looking at.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Last edited:
I'm not aware of anything within the price range that offers comparable performance and reliability. Some folks have had success with the cheap, budget-brand Zippy lipos, but some folks haven't. Personally, I wouldn't invest money in them.

If you look around the forums enough, I think you'll see that the consensus is SMC and Turnigy for the best Lipos for the price.

Also, don't worry about the weight distribution. The Kraton is purposely set up to counter-balance the weight of the batteries on the one side of the chassis.

Keep in mind that instead of buying one 6S pack, you could buy two 3S packs. If you have a dual-charger, you can charge two 3S batteries faster than one 6S battery. Also, you can probably get more runtime from two 3S packs than from one 6S pack.

For example, if you buy two of these (http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_99&product_id=465), you will get longer runtime than from that 6S pack you're looking at.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Just wondering why 2 3s 6700 would have more run time than 1 6s 6700?

Sorry, I failed to clarify --- I was comparing the 3S 6700 batteries to that 5000 mAh pack he was looking at. I realize that I didn't make my original post clear.

as per Danny from SMC, 6700 runs a lot better than the lower 5000mah ones,

waiting on that brick to come also, I have 3x 6s coming also.

Attachments

• IMG_3559.JPG
    IMG_3559.JPG
    353.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3562.JPG
    IMG_3562.JPG
    219.8 KB · Views: 47
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back