Smilinbri's RC track build-Ridin' Dirty Raceway

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hellooooo Arrma peeps!!! :D

I have shared some of my home dirt track and extension plans on other threads and have garnered enough likes and positive comments that I believe there's enough interest to start its own build thread! Yeah for me! :p I hope this also assists others who are thinking of building a track in their yard.

I just want to share my love and joy for RCs. I hope you enjoy the journey. Please feel free to offer ideas, ask questions, make smart comments, be jealous, etc. Whatever floats your boat! (y)

This 1st post will bring everyone up to speed.

To not repeat the origin of the track and the 1st few pics, check out my New Member Introduction post.....
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/hello-from-western-md-basher-and-at-home-dirt-track-racer.51553/

This track has been a blast! It is a lot of maintenance keeping the weeds down, drainage issues, etc, but it's worth it! If I would have done it 100% properly the 1st time, the weeds would not have been an issue, but o well, eff it. I've added a lot of signs and stuff to the shed over the past year, different tables/seating/stands, added drainage pipes in a couple places which helped, ordered small load of new dirt, etc. This year it is getting a BIG make over! I've gathered a lot more signs/banners, getting a lot more dirt, bigger ramps, more ramps, beefing up some berms, extending the track, adding large street lamp LED lights, ordered one of those huge umbrella with stand, and I WILL FIGURE OUT A TUNNEL SOULTION! lol-I have a few ideas so we will see.

The last few weeks I have been making plans to extend the track. Got the Wifey's permission and my neighbors-since I will be going into his lot a foot or so around the tree. He's cool with it. As of yesterday, I have weed wacked the new lanes, laid the pipes (no, not THAT way-jeez! 😂), put together the street lamps, assembled my new tiller and am ready to get to work! The course extensions changed a few times as I did practice runs with my Slash.

Here is a photo history to bring you up to date........Then I'll start posting my progress!

Here are a few collages showing the initial progress last year.....
View attachment 220520
View attachment 220521
View attachment 220519

Drainage issues last year
View attachment 220522
View attachment 220524
View attachment 220525

This was a huge storm---but it did drain! 😂
View attachment 220518
View attachment 220517

New dirt...yeah...that's dirt...it's new....they just made it........
View attachment 220527
View attachment 220528

Well, you should be up to date now. Any questions? Time to get off my lazy butt and get out there to start tilling! I'll post an update tonight.

Thank you to all of those, past and present, who have served in the US Military or their Allies. Thank you.

My Father is a Marine--OORAH!

AMERICA: LAND OF THE FREE-BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

Have a great Memorial Day everyone!!! 🤙✌️👊

View attachment 220526
Dang! That's awesome! I'm soo jelly!! My track is riddled with 40' red oak and pine trees! Just too much to get rid of..I mean beautiful trees AND too much work!!🤣🤣 Looks great👍🍻

Dang! That's awesome! I'm soo jelly!! My track is riddled with 40' red oak and pine trees! Just too much to get rid of..I mean beautiful trees AND too much work!!🤣🤣 Looks great👍🍻
Thanks!! Yea, we have 2 pine trees on one side that litters it with needles. I try to leaf-blow em off before they get wet! They usually win! 😂 Getting it going after winter is o so fun. Lol

Was able to get a little tilling in today. Another hot one! I forgot how much work this is. I'm gonna be buff when this is over! 💪:ROFLMAO:

Rain came in so I'm done for the day!

Last pic is from our back porch....to give ya an idea of relation to the house. ✌️

20220602_105332.jpg
20220602_111531.jpg
20220602_155229.jpg
20220602_160014.jpg

Was able to get a little tilling in today. Another hot one! I forgot how much work this is. I'm gonna be buff when this is over! 💪:ROFLMAO:

Rain came in so I'm done for the day!

Last pic is from our back porch....to give ya an idea of relation to the house. ✌️

View attachment 221153View attachment 221154View attachment 221155View attachment 221156
You probably know how lucky you are, but I'll remind you just in case. You live in a beautiful area and that's a gorgeous piece of land your on. Being able to make that track is just a bonus. Living in suburbia like myself, makes me just want to pack it all in and find a place just like this one day. Track is awesome btw. Your doing an amazing job with the look and layout. I hope it brings you endless hours of fun in the years to come Brian.

You probably know how lucky you are, but I'll remind you just in case. You live in a beautiful area and that's a gorgeous piece of land your on. Being able to make that track is just a bonus. Living in suburbia like myself, makes me just want to pack it all in and find a place just like this one day. Track is awesome btw. Your doing an amazing job with the look and layout. I hope it brings you endless hours of fun in the years to come Brian.
I agree!! Beautiful! I do have 5 acres and thankful for that, but I'm on top of a hill so nothings flat and alot of trees..but it's ours! Grew up in suburbia myself, no way I'd ever go back willingly! Great job on your track @Smilinbri !!🍻😎

I agree!! Beautiful! I do have 5 acres and thankful for that, but I'm on top of a hill so nothings flat and alot of trees..but it's ours! Grew up in suburbia myself, no way I'd ever go back willingly! Great job on your track @Smilinbri

Thanks so much! Really appreciate it! Yes, def feel lucky.....nice area, healthy family, things are good.

I grew up in suburbia too...till my late 20s. As a kid I loved it.....adult.....nope....older I get the less I want to deal with people/neighbors.

Wife and I bought a house on acre and a half surrounded by mostly farms. (Our view from prev house-front porch)

20200401_145044.jpg

Loved it. Lived there 20 years until we moved 2 years ago due to fam outgrowing house. If it wasn't for the kids we would have gotten a smaller house on a lot more acreage than we have now. Lol My kids only know rural living....I do feel bad sometimes....but whatev...lol...they'll get over it and grow to appreciate the beauty and peacefulness of it. The stars are amazing at night!!!

Thanks again guys. Can't wait to get er done!!!

It wasn't so hot today so I was able to get a lot done.......worked till sundown. Still have a little more tilling to do on this part. The berms have foundations and once "molded" will be topped off with fresh dirt once I order it.

Also some pics of some rocks, a brick and a crow bar that my tiller dug up! :D

Daughter has an all day soccer tournament tomorrow so probably won't get a chance to work on it. Hopefully reception is good at the park so I can still get my AF on! ✌️
20220603_201909.jpg
20220603_191159.jpg
20220603_191054.jpg
20220603_204253.jpg
20220603_201939.jpg

I was able to get some work done on the track this weekend after my daughter's soccer tournament Sat and Championship game Sun.

Just a little tilling left on the big side. The berm bases are pretty good to go till fresh dirt is delivered.

Started on the other side around the tree. Also started beefing up some original ramps/berms.

Closer and closer....... 😄 ✌️
20220605_201409.jpg
20220605_201538.jpg
20220605_201521.jpg
20220605_201438.jpg

I've been working my butt off the past 3 days between other priorities. Was out there at 7am this morning! 💪

I think I'm done tilling. No more dirt to use either, so going to order some soon. The base of the berms and new ramps are done. Everything will get a fresh layer of dirt and will benreshaped properly. Gotta do a test run too. That will always show where changes are needed.

If anyone is thinking of doing something like this, remember that there will be a lot of tilling-raking-tilling-raking-tilling-raking-tilling-raking.......:rolleyes:

So, we haven't had rain here in about a week and half-not since I started on the track. I have been wetting down the new berms and jumps as much as possible to prevent a big rain from washing em out. Well........about to find out as a nasty line of storms is about to come through.

I guess I'll be able to see where my drainage issues are! 😄

Cheers! ✌️🍻
20220605_201438.jpg

20220605_201521.jpg

20220606_143606.jpg

20220606_154639.jpg

20220606_154649.jpg

20220607_110251.jpg

20220607_110325.jpg

20220607_110302.jpg

20220607_110158.jpg

I've been working my butt off the past 3 days between other priorities. Was out there at 7am this morning! 💪

I think I'm done tilling. No more dirt to use either, so going to order some soon. The base of the berms and new ramps are done. Everything will get a fresh layer of dirt and will benreshaped properly. Gotta do a test run too. That will always show where changes are needed.

If anyone is thinking of doing something like this, remember that there will be a lot of tilling-raking-tilling-raking-tilling-raking-tilling-raking.......:rolleyes:

So, we haven't had rain here in about a week and half-not since I started on the track. I have been wetting down the new berms and jumps as much as possible to prevent a big rain from washing em out. Well........about to find out as a nasty line of storms is about to come through.

I guess I'll be able to see where my drainage issues are! 😄

Cheers! ✌️🍻View attachment 222141

View attachment 222143

View attachment 222144

View attachment 222145

View attachment 222146

View attachment 222150

View attachment 222148

View attachment 222149

View attachment 222147
Gotta get some run time in!? I know I'd give in pretty quick if "I " didn't give it a rip here and there while working on it🤣🍻 hey, I need to be reminded why I'm busting my hump more than some I guess😁
Lookin great man!!
What does the soil look like in your area before tilling? I'm curious whether a tiller will get through the clay I've got here..it's so hard, we're leaving black tire marks on it!!🤣🤣
It's like driving on ice with Arrma backflips! Driftorama😁😮😬🤣

Gotta get some run time in!? I know I'd give in pretty quick if "I " didn't give it a rip here and there while working on it🤣🍻 hey, I need to be reminded why I'm busting my hump more than some I guess😁
Lookin great man!!
What does the soil look like in your area before tilling? I'm curious whether a tiller will get through the clay I've got here..it's so hard, we're leaving black tire marks on it!!🤣🤣
It's like driving on ice with Arrma backflips! Driftorama😁😮😬🤣
Thanks!!!

Man, I've been trying so hard to be patient! o_O:LOL: I want to get the pipes up to make sure lanes are wide enough when running my rig. Will try that today if rain is not too bad. We are surrounded by mountains (little hills compared to out west-😄)and sometimes get lucky with rain missing us. 🤞

It's actually not bad when you get through the top layer of grass. Pretty loose dirt with lots of slate rock. Not much clay type soil so not sure how a tiller would do for you.

At least your clay is smooth and water runs off it! 😄

Well, got lucky with the rain. Just a light drizzle. Got a little steady later so I was like fine, I'll work under the tree! 🌲:LOL:

Man, those effin little roots! Had to hand till around the tree as I didn't want to damage any main roots. But everytime I'd sweep and shovel, BAM!-more little roots pop up! 🤬 Those little fudgers!!!!

Got most of the pipes in and buried where needed. Ran out of spikes and washers (leftovers from last year) and still need another 32 ft of pipe. I have pieces I could put together but I try and keep each section to one full piece.

Headed to Lowes in morning. (y)

20220607_130830.jpg

20220607_132703.jpg

20220607_134055.jpg

20220607_143153.jpg
20220607_164236.jpg
20220607_164255.jpg

AIN'T NO RAIN STOPPING ME! 😆😆 ✌️
20220607_164619.jpg

DUUUUUUDE!!!!! Just ordered 4 yards of screened dirt....delivery tomorrow! 😆😆😆😆SOOOO STOKED! I'm so freakin' excited I think I peed a little!!! 🤣

DUUUUUUDE!!!!! Just ordered 4 yards of screened dirt....delivery tomorrow! 😆😆😆😆SOOOO STOKED! I'm so freakin' excited I think I peed a little!!! 🤣

Remember that excitement when you shoveling said dirt. :ROFLMAO: Seriously, cool news, your going to be finished in time to get some serious enjoyment out of the track this season. (y)

It's like Christmas morning!!! 🤗🤗🥳

Fresh off the truck just now!! I am so stoked! :LOL:🤪😆(y)o_O😍🥳🤗🤗🤗

I'm half tempted to leave as-is for a basher jump! 🤪
20220609_083104.jpg

20220609_083300.jpg

Time to get to work!

Man what a long and crazy day yesterday was! Got 97.456% of the dirt distributed. Wet it down, tamp, add more, wet it down, tamp/roll it (I got tired towards the end and just walked on them! 🤪 ). It's a process! Lol

Daughter helped sweep, until she found a toad in one of drainage pipes. Named him Freckles, gave him tour of yard, she went and found grubs and bugs to feed him. She's a trip! :love:

It was annoying having 3 news copters 🚁🚁🚁 hovering over my yard for about an hour due to the mass shooting at a small manufacturing business 30 seconds from my house. It's literally 1/2 mile from my house. I was working on track and kept watching the woods for some guy with a gun to come out. 🧐 The gunman fled, was chased by popo and had a small shootout with them at a traffic circle a few miles from my house. Crazy stuff man! O...and CNN needs to learn their geography in the article below......yes, Baltimore is about 75 miles from us but the WV state line is not 100 miles from us. I can drive there in 30 mins! Lol. The 2nd video is from Facebook where you can hear the gun shots at the traffic circle. **CAUTION-PERSON WHO TOOK FB VIDEO CUSSES THE WHOLE TIME! NOT FOR YOUNG VIEWERS TO HEAR!!**

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/09/us/maryland-shooting-columbia-machine/index.html

I've got one more pipe to install, need to distribute rest of dirt, mainly on the main ramp, try to chop up a few roots from original track that popped up, mold/smooth out some berms/ramps, do a test run with my sct and finally.....

I think I have a great idea for a little tunnel! @Doom! @Velodromed
Got what I need, just gotta see if I can secure it! 🤞

Enjoy your day peeps!! 👍😁✌️

20220609_102018.jpg

20220609_125614.jpg

20220609_125623.jpg

20220609_161625.jpg

20220609_204606.jpg

20220609_204641.jpg
20220609_204644.jpg

20220609_204546.jpg

That tracks a monster. I’m comin over to play next time im in MD (never been yet so not to worry) 😂
O man....wait till next....taking up rest of rear yard, thinking bridge, no berms, all pipes so I can utilize every inch! 👍

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back